zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Now I suddenly, desperately want to go to Toronto.

Niniva, sorry I missed your Q, glad you figured it out whatever it was. :)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Now I suddenly, desperately want to go to Toronto.

Niniva, sorry I missed your Q, glad you figured it out whatever it was. :)

They basically just took stuff from his house as well as concept art and props from his movies. It was a pop culture paradise. Original panels from Hellboy Comics, Berni Wrightson and Corben comics, H.R. Giger statues, and of course, props from Hellboy, Pacific Rim, Pan's Labyrinth, Crimson Peak and other films. It was a pretty impressive collection if you're a nerd.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Polenta trick if you use the sliced roll form: dry the slices on folded up kitchen towels or paper towels. Then dredge them in a little parboiled maize flour (like P.A.N. brand or Maiseca, or you can use wheat or rice flour). Then drop onto a hot oiled pan. Corny goodness. Then look up two things: lemon polenta cake, and mozzarella arepas.

For peeps looking for Norse elves, track down a writer named Elizabeth Boyer, whose ljosalfar and dokkalfar stories were mass market paperbacks in the 80s and early 90s. Really good stuff, largely set on an Iceland analog island.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like I am about to be the proud new owner of a puppy in two weeks, soo... there goes my free time :flag: <3

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Polenta trick if you use the sliced roll form: dry the slices on folded up kitchen towels or paper towels. Then dredge them in a little parboiled maize flour (like P.A.N. brand or Maiseca, or you can use wheat or rice flour). Then drop onto a hot oiled pan. Corny goodness. Then look up two things: lemon polenta cake, and mozzarella arepas.
WANT.
It looks like I am about to be the proud new owner of a puppy in two weeks, soo... there goes my free time :flag: <3
Eeeeeep! Will we get puppy pictures?

My family is planning to get a puppy in the near future as well, but we've decided to wait until the beginning of the year so the puppy isn't coming into the house in the middle of holiday chaos and my mom can take some time off work so it can get used to all of us and we get used to it, and I'm not the one having to do the training all by myself (because my dad hasn't been actively involved in the training of any animal we've had in many a year.) It's an exciting thought, but also makes me nervous because I've actually never had a dog that was under the age of three when it came to us. My parents have, so they have the experience to deal with it, but it will be a very new learning experience for me. I think it'll be fun though, and da beagle likes other dogs and should enjoy having a play buddy again.

A new Etsy listing is currently in progress and then I'll get to the writing of writerly things until time to run errands. Oh, also I wasn't queasy at all last night, so it's entirely possible that eating even a small piece of fudge before bed was just a really bad idea. Back to the small piece of dark chocolate for me if I feel the need to have a little something sweet after supper.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I got new glasses with special lenses to help with eye strain. so far, making a big difference (altho I'm still adjusting to them)

I came back from Guillermo Del Toro exhibit at the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto. I never, in a million years, thought I would walk into a gallery and find an entire wall of comics ranging from EC Horror to Hellboy, nor find myself standing in front of the Jager "Drive Suit" that Mako Mori wore in Pacific Rim. And yet, now I have...

I'm going some time in the next couple weeks! so excited :D

PUPPY!!!!!!!!!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going some time in the next couple weeks! so excited :D

Pricey, but totally worth it for nerds! I got all excited when we got to the gift shop portion, because my wife and I still haven't seen Crimson Peaks, which was shot right in our neighborhood. It was right there in the gift shop, as a Blu Ray for a mere... $32. Then we did a quick check on Amazon and saw it was selling there for $8. Excitement deflated, Amazon wins again.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
ADORAPUPPY!!!!

I walked Watkins Glen gorge today - all the way up and then down the south rim trail through the forest. A lovely day. The leaves weren't as colorful as I'd hoped (not yet at peak) but it was still delightful. Lots of photos. Lots of waterfalls. It was "gorges" :D About 1.5 miles in each direction. Then I went and dropped off jewelry at a shop, a new consignment spot for me. Then husband came home from Maine and we had sushi for dinner.

Tomorrow is a lazy day, then Ithaca for dinner, and then seeing Princess Bride in the theater! Woohoo!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
ADORAPUPPY!!!!

I walked Watkins Glen gorge today - all the way up and then down the south rim trail through the forest. A lovely day. The leaves weren't as colorful as I'd hoped (not yet at peak) but it was still delightful. Lots of photos. Lots of waterfalls. It was "gorges" :D About 1.5 miles in each direction. Then I went and dropped off jewelry at a shop, a new consignment spot for me. Then husband came home from Maine and we had sushi for dinner.

Tomorrow is a lazy day, then Ithaca for dinner, and then seeing Princess Bride in the theater! Woohoo!

What are these strange places you speak of, GD? :eek:

PUPPEH!!!! :snoopy: Thanks for sharing the cuteness!:LilLove:

Her name will be Topaz (because Amethyst would have been it, but we have an Emily in the family: Ame/Em = confuzzles) and I will love her forever, and hug her, and squeeze her (gently), and feed her, and call her George*. :D

*Actually, probably Togepi, if I'm being honest.... >.>)

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Pricey, but totally worth it for nerds! I got all excited when we got to the gift shop portion, because my wife and I still haven't seen Crimson Peaks, which was shot right in our neighborhood. It was right there in the gift shop, as a Blu Ray for a mere... $32. Then we did a quick check on Amazon and saw it was selling there for $8. Excitement deflated, Amazon wins again.

:Wha: wow! that's a bit much

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*needs to go research the best spot to throw a dagger into someone without causing lasting damage that stitches and rum can't fix. For now, just leaving that itty bitty dagger in his thigh.*

That moment when one of your characters stares at you with a "WTH!" look. And you point to the other character and say "she did it!" Character rightly points out that you wrote it.

*cough*

No, of course I do not have internal arguments with my characters. Yep. (But for the record, he started it.)

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com

For peeps looking for Norse elves, track down a writer named Elizabeth Boyer, whose ljosalfar and dokkalfar stories were mass market paperbacks in the 80s and early 90s. Really good stuff, largely set on an Iceland analog island.

*makes notes*

:0 That looks suspiciously like a sheep dog of some kind (or maybe I'm just making stuff up :D Either way, super dooper cute). Fair warning, they don't stop stealing stuff and trying to play constantly until they hit 3. At least. My dog is going grey in the eyebrows and he still gets that shifty look sometimes that says "well you're not using that box for anything important, are you?"

And EFB - good luck with your puppy too. ALL THE PUPPEHS!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Aggy, congrats on the review :D

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for all including Adorapuppy and Winks' characters.

Oh, Winks, the upper left quadrant has nothing but intestines. If you get stabbed there, external stitches and rum won't fix it easily, but it is survivable. Particularly with internal stitches. Er, LOWER left quadrant. Meh, not a doc, don't hafta know off the top of my head.

Left lower quadrant:

• Descending colon.
  • Sigmoid colon.
  • Left ovary and Fallopian tube.
  • Left ureter.

I had a moment of befuddlement about universal present tense when speaking of a character's life, and once I saw both versions in my post, past and present, one sentence stood out as the turd in the punchbowl. I deleted it entirely and put everything in past. Because my authors let me get away with murder sometimes... but it was stoopie both ways otherwise.

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
I went to a Ren Faire today, which I haven't had time to do in years. It's the last weekend and the theme was fantasy, so yay I got to break out my Lothlorian elf dress, ears, and tiara-thingy, which I haven't done since the last Hobbit movie premier. Great fun hanging out, window shopping (dang there are so many costumes I want to sew), and entertaining kids by playing all the LOTR/Hobbit songs I know on my whistle and asking if they would take the Ring to Mordor :)

Now off to clean prosthetic glue off my ears

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
:0 That looks suspiciously like a sheep dog of some kind (or maybe I'm just making stuff up :D Either way, super dooper cute). Fair warning, they don't stop stealing stuff and trying to play constantly until they hit 3. At least. My dog is going grey in the eyebrows and he still gets that shifty look sometimes that says "well you're not using that box for anything important, are you?"

MY DUDE! :O :eek: Like, I have had puppy hound dog creature poohs of a Border Colliean nature since I was 5yo, yo! :D I knows how they's can be's. My current Sheepdog still herds me and she's like, 11yo rn! She was a fluffy wee terror in her youth, but I am hoping that my own experience combined with internets and persistence and love and a real big yard will help Topaz be less terrorific. :) Although, her own mother (name of Sugar) was the dearest young dog hound I ever done seen, so eager and lifeful, vim and vigor rich, just a sweet hounder. And also, 11yo puppeh (name of Sophie) LURVES to play Flower Pots! :D :eek: :D

---

Effby! I believe in your ability to train yon pup ye shall receive! :D Dogs are like horses (except less liable to murder and mayhem, mostly) if you're nice, and kind, and care about them, they won't eat you right away when you fall down the stairs and die of a broken neck (which you really shouldn't be doing anyway :p). Cats on the other hand... they're known for come what may... :O

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks! Though it will be a few months, I'll be sure to share puppy pics when one has actually been adopted. :)

I went to a Ren Faire today, which I haven't had time to do in years. It's the last weekend and the theme was fantasy, so yay I got to break out my Lothlorian elf dress, ears, and tiara-thingy, which I haven't done since the last Hobbit movie premier. Great fun hanging out, window shopping (dang there are so many costumes I want to sew), and entertaining kids by playing all the LOTR/Hobbit songs I know on my whistle and asking if they would take the Ring to Mordor :)

Now off to clean prosthetic glue off my ears
Jealous! About going to Ren fair and dressing up, I mean, not getting prosthetic glue off your ears. :p

Effby! I believe in your ability to train yon pup ye shall receive! :D Dogs are like horses (except less liable to murder and mayhem, mostly) if you're nice, and kind, and care about them, they won't eat you right away when you fall down the stairs and die of a broken neck (which you really shouldn't be doing anyway :p). Cats on the other hand... they're known for come what may... :O
I appreciate the confidence, Dammy. :) It's actually the more hyper puppy nature of the puppy I'm nervous about rather than the training. Though I've never had a dog under the age of three, the past three dogs we've had were either completely untrained when they came to us, or close to it. My first dog, Sally, belonged to my parents and was already trained by the time I was born. Lexie (a.k.a. Alexander) showed up on our porch when he was three years old and when we couldn't find the previous owners (pretty sure they purposefully abandoned him out here, the poopy-heads. :( ) we adopted and trained him from scratch. He wasn't very puppy-like by that age though. Maggie, a Labrador we adopted when she was 10yo was largely untrained, but we trained her as much as we could until she died only three months later. Current dog, Eli da beagle, was three when we adopted him from a hunter my dad knows and was completely untrained. My mom wasn't able to take the first few weeks of Eli's adoption off from work, so I was largely in charge of training during the daytime hours. I housebroke him, taught him to sit, stay, shake, spin, lay down, roll over, and NOT chew electrical cords, pretty much all by myself. Lots of pee and slobber was involved, but I think he's turned out okay :p and is currently sitting on the chair with me. Of course, he was also still VERY immature, hyper, and puppy-like when he came to us, in spite of being 3yo, so I'm probably worrying too much about an actual puppy being much worse.

Aw, cats aren't all that bad, really. ;) I've owned two of them from kittenhood to the day they died of old age-related things and hope to get another one or two in the future. But, since our Erin kitty only just died this year, we all want to wait a while before that happens. I do keep insisting we visit the kitties at PetSmart when we go there for dog food, though, and last night they had three kittens who were absolutely fascinated with Eli. Eli likes kitties, and stood on his hind feet to look at them while all three kittens were leaning over, ears pricked forward, eyes-wide, staring and sniffing at him. It. Was. So. Cute. XD

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
glad you had a great time at the ren faire, Kitkitdizzi!

I like cats and dogs pretty equally... but cats a bit better cause you don't have to walk them XD

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I get a jonesing for a kitten or puppy I go to my Sacramento neighbor's house. She runs a rescue. I nearly overdosed on cute once when I got mobbed by 12 Rottweiler puppies.

Doing the commute from Sacto back to Yosemite today. Ugh. I hit major construction at about the 50 mile mark in Lodi. Now I have CCR stuck in my head.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Tidied up a scene from yesterday's writing. But I can't seem to spit out any words today. Probably because I still have to finish the hour long presentation I'm giving at the big client meeting in Mexico this week, so my brain is fretting over that.

*sigh*

I guess I should give in and finish the darn presentation. *whines internally about not wanting to be an adult today*

'Course, I shouldn't be whining, given I only have to present for an hour. My colleagues have to run the rest of the meetings while I take notes. So it's only an hour. But still. My work represents a large portion of the budget, so I get a tad nervous...and I'm supposed to be the communications expert. Hahahahahahhahha :greenie

I swear I'm professional in real life. Mostly. *glares at kitkit, who is probably laughing* When it comes to work.

Going away now. Picture me cursing over powerpoint the rest of the night. Ooh, but maybe if I get it done, I can do writerly things on the plane tomorrow. Maybe. (I'll probably obsess over my presentation.)