The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote my aunt who lives close by my grandparents. She apparently had better luck than me getting ahold of them, because she just wrote back (as I was writing this) that everything's fine.
Good to hear. :) Still, it's not a bad thing to be little concerned when somethings feels off.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Wrote my aunt who lives close by my grandparents. She apparently had better luck than me getting ahold of them, because she just wrote back (as I was writing this) that everything's fine.

That's great, Rel! I would have been worried too. Sometimes my Grammy leaves the phone off the hook and we can't get through when we call. Makes my dad very nervous and he always emails my aunt to be sure nothing has happened.

I was feeling blah earlier today, so no words happened. Hoping to get a few in this afternoon now that I feel better.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been working on revisions all day. Now I'm very tired. I want a nap, but I'm afraid I won't sleep tonight if I take one. Bah. At any rate, I have to get off this computer for awhile and rest my eyes. Hours of sitting in front of it has wasted me.

Check with you all later. :)

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
I have been working on revisions all day. Now I'm very tired. I want a nap, but I'm afraid I won't sleep tonight if I take one. Bah. At any rate, I have to get off this computer for awhile and rest my eyes. Hours of sitting in front of it has wasted me.

Check with you all later. :)
Ah, the dreaded revision, when you really want something to stay because you think it's funny, clever, interesting, whatever but need to give it a chopping or a fixing. I know the pain.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the dreaded revision, when you really want something to stay because you think it's funny, clever, interesting, whatever but need to give it a chopping or a fixing. I know the pain.
What I really want is to be done with book one so I can get on with book two. Impatient, I am. ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Because EFB was curious, here's my reaction to the final episode of Star Trek Voyager (no spoilers, don't worry).

I thought the conflict of the final episode was suitably epic (of sorts). However, the stuff with Seven of Nine felt a bit forced to me. The final section, after the main conflict was resolved, could've had more impact, in my opinion. There was certainly *some* emotional impact, but not as much as I was expecting. However, I'm almost always "meh" about the final episode in a long-running show. That is, other TV series that I've finished watching (not just SF/F, but comedy and general dramas, too), their final episodes have ruined the entire show for me. Like, with How I Met Your Mother, for example. I thought the show itself was decent, but as soon as I saw the final episode, that was it - I donated my entire collection of DVDs to the local charity store, knowing I'd never want to watch that show ever again. That's an extreme example, but the general principle holds true for most shows I've watched. Voyager's final episode, however, has *not* ruined my esteem of the show as a whole.

Overall: Was it a great episode? No. Was it a good episode? Yes. Was it a good finale? Better than most.

:)

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Rel. Though seems like the more I worry about things like that, the more wasted that worry turns out to be.

My good little car went dead on me yesterday. Mercifully I was only on the frontage road leading to the freeway and not actually on the freeway yet. The electrical went out, as in, no radio, blinkers, hazards, and once I pulled over and put it into park, it wouldn't shift out again. But the engine would still run. Weird. Anyway, called the dealership, luckily only a couple miles away, got it towed. Last night was much bummed. Today, turns out it's the battery, and I'm squeaking in under the wire on the 3-year bumper-to-bumper factory warranty. So even the tow is covered.

Oh dear... Had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago in our shiny new(ish) car. Just lost all power on the motorway 20 miles out from home. Turns out there was a crack on the turbo inlet pipe so when we were driving at speed there was too much air going into the turbo and the little safety doodlemethingies jumped in and shut everything down so's the engine wouldn't explode. Thankfully we were under warranty too so didn't have to pay for anything either but was still scary as hell...

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for covered repairs! Rel, I hope the thing with your grandparents is nothing...

I'm working along finishing up the quarter-end close stuff. Ithought about writing a new short story but I guess I'm not ready yet. I just stared at the page. Then again, I kept getting interrupted while I was researching the setting (ancient Egypt, Old Kingdom, daily life, cats)

The short story I vomited last week was about cats, and I'd already planned a set of six cat short stories. A couple more and I can release a collection (once the set is written, that is!). If I can get nine.. that would be perfect.

Presumably it would then be a cat-o'-nine-tales...

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Iff'n your in-laws are willing to drive the puppy halfway across the continent to southern Ontario, Canada, I have a big house, a big yard, and a border collie puppy-dog-hound who needs other puppy-dog-hounds in her old age for company. I'm quite serious, if the dog can come here, I will personally accept them for as long as necessary. (no allergies in this household! :D)

This is the other reason I am offering up my home for the hounder, Kricket. I know I can take care of two active dogs, done so before, want to again!

I wish I had that kind of control of the situation but it just keeps getting weirder. So they're not stopping here on their way to drop off the dog but my in laws will come around on Sunday.

*throws hands in the air in disgust* I'm so done with these crazy people.

Anyway, since I have a few days before I'm invaded I can relax, finish this huge pile of laundry and dust off my writing notebook.

Release day! Release day! Release day! Call of the Morrigú is LIVE!!!

Congrats!!! :hooray::partyguy:

So how are y'all?

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Green Dragon, congrats on your release! Perhaps the lack of sales at midnight is due to people sleeping? (It could happen.) I wish you increasing sales that meet your sales goals. Cheers.

I'm going to be drowning myself in coffee this morning. My eyes don't want to stay open and until the eyelids stay up without the proverbial toothpick help, I can't do a thing on my book.

Second cup, here I come.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats greendragon! I expect to hear you soon being interviewed on the BBC about your mega-phenomenal cult following, and how unexpected you found it all.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
my DnD group/bffs started a new channel (we play on Discord) where we post random writing we've done. I've got a mix of wanting to share everything at once and wanting to cherry pick my pieces so they only see the best stuff

More like the killing of the purple prose I thought was oh-so clever, especially in dialog tags.

darlings of a different colour heh

CONGRATS :partyguy:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Because EFB was curious, here's my reaction to the final episode of Star Trek Voyager (no spoilers, don't worry).

I thought the conflict of the final episode was suitably epic (of sorts). However, the stuff with Seven of Nine felt a bit forced to me. The final section, after the main conflict was resolved, could've had more impact, in my opinion. There was certainly *some* emotional impact, but not as much as I was expecting. However, I'm almost always "meh" about the final episode in a long-running show. That is, other TV series that I've finished watching (not just SF/F, but comedy and general dramas, too), their final episodes have ruined the entire show for me. Like, with How I Met Your Mother, for example. I thought the show itself was decent, but as soon as I saw the final episode, that was it - I donated my entire collection of DVDs to the local charity store, knowing I'd never want to watch that show ever again. That's an extreme example, but the general principle holds true for most shows I've watched. Voyager's final episode, however, has *not* ruined my esteem of the show as a whole.

Overall: Was it a great episode? No. Was it a good episode? Yes. Was it a good finale? Better than most.

:)
That's kind of how I felt. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, but it was satisfying enough. I get what you're saying about stinky finales too. That was how I felt about the finale of Castle. It didn't ruin the whole series for me, but it was abrupt and definitely not what I'd been hoping for. Of course, I didn't much like the alternatives, either, so...yeah.

Presumably it would then be a cat-o'-nine-tales...
*snert*:ROFL:

CONGRATS, GD! :partyguy:

Good morning, Cantina. I was feeling a tad bleh when I got up, but getting food in me seems to be helping a little. Bleh, mornings. Plans for today are to get up a new Etsy listing and then do words. This is Wednesday too, so I've got the Wednesday night thing to work, so all of the above must happen before 5pm.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sales goals are to sell 100,000 copies and the movie rights. Now, you didn't say REALISTIC goals, eh?

Realistic is just another way to fool ourselves into aiming too low. (See Michelangelo quote in sig line. ;))

Here's to your success. Do you want a slice of fame to go with that? Or, would you be like me, hiding from peeps? :greenie

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I can't speak for Ireland, but someone posted on my FB page that there is a village in the Scottish Highlands for sale (houses, grocery, the whole kit and kaboodle).

I'm fine with fame. Because if it comes with the money it normally does, I can afford to run away and buy an island in Ireland :)