Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I like planning.
A lot.
Like a real amount of a lot.

Like I've been planning my August 2018 trip to Norway/Denmark for 2 years.
Like I'm already planning my August 2020 trip to Ireland.

Yeah.

Not a pantser. No sirree-bob.
I plan more than I used to. For the Snow White retelling I gave myself the entire month of June to dump out everything I knew about the story, characters, and world, and smoosh them into a somewhat outline-like shape before I jumped into the writing for Camp Nano. To be truthful, it wasn't a detailed outline even then--none of my outlines are--but I put as much into as I could until it reached the point that I *had* to start the writing to figure out the things that fill in the holes.

This is in contrast to In Dreams They Came where I started out (back in 2014 when I'd only just started writing and was just learning as I went along) by diving headlong into the writing and dumping ideas for unwritten scenes in a document that didn't even have things in chronological order.

As I got more experience, I discovered that this system of half planning/half panting (and having organized documents) consistently works for me. Unfortunately, I continue to struggle with titles no matter how I write the story. The retelling may well end up the first story I've ever titled on my own. And dagnabbit, I'm determined I'm going to title it!

It late. I tired.

YOU'RE ALL HUGE DORKS AND I LOVE U!!
:Hug2: *pushes extra-soft smibble pile toward Dammy*

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
Then the stick acquired super powers from the moonsilver!

And they became a crime-fighting duo!

I'm like this. Especially when I know it's going to be a series - I get a little obsessive about making the names in the series work together and 'themed' for the books. Granted, that will probably all change when I am published (notice I said when, not if - OPTIMISM :greenie) because publisher whims and all that...but I have some titles I really REALLY like.

Ahhh, you dirty plotters! I have a friend whose dream is to have a multi-book series where the spine of each book is illustrated and forms a mural if you collect them all. Her first book is coming out next year, though I don't think her publisher commissioned artwork for the side of the book. :(

If it makes you feel better, I've been planning a 2027 trip to Italy for about two years now. Admittedly, I started with planning what clothes I would pack (I am shallow and vapid and make no bones about it), but it's giving me time to map out the order of the archeological sites I want to see.

The clothes we're wearing in 2017 will hopefully be out of style by 2027, methinks. All our stuff will be retro like bell bottom jeans and go go boots!

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I've written some AUs for stuff (mostly D&D campaigns I've been in). they're really fun! it's cool to imagine how the character would deal in a different setting. it also can help your understanding of your character
Yeah, that!

I worry really short titles are already taken by another book. not a huge issue, but can lead to confusion for readers. I loved Poison Kiss but I hear Poison's Kiss is bad. so longer/more unique titles can be better. I'd say to go with 'Sonja and the Moonsilver'
Point, but there's long enough to be unique titles and then there's convoluted titles.

It late. I tired.

Right back atcha.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have a harder time with titles than anything else. I think I'm getting better at them? got some confidence after 'The Nameless Child and the Rusted World' and have been riding it for the past few projects hehe

It late. I tired.

:e2cloud9:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Trying to keep with the Snow White theme is tough. I was kicking around A Touch of Moonsilver, but I'm not sure it works thematically. Moonsilver's Touch?

Although, if there's an apple involved, perhaps, A Slice of Moonsilver? :e2tomato:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
You guys crack me up.:ROFL:

Also, that song is now stuck in my head, thankyouverymuch. :tongue

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, Cantina.

It is now the 13th day of classes this term, and I must say I'm rather enjoying being back at university.

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, Cantina.

It is now the 13th day of classes this term, and I must say I'm rather enjoying being back at university.

You're already back in class? My fall semester doesn't start until the end of August. Or are you doing summer semester?

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
I am personally very happy to never have to set foot in a learning establishment ever again. Although I did just see a job offer from my old school... not going to apply there, but it just amused me. Right out of school, turn around and go back there as a teacher.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
And we're filed for the quarter, woohoo!!! Now we fall back in exhaust... nope. Got an art show to do this weekend. Damnit.

Also, I got word on when Legacy of Hunger is going in print! I should have hard copies by mid-to-late September. Woohoo!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*falls face-first into smibble pile* ARG! Wednesday night job went really well. In fact, I think it may have been the best week we've had so far. The kids were listening and having fun and (mostly) behaving all at the same time! I, however, hardly sat down the entire 3 hours. It was energetic and fun! And I hurt. Ow. *takes pain reliever and goes to bed*

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh, much as I wanted to get into the new TV series, Salvation, I simply cannot get past the story's premise.

[No spoilers follow] Supposedly there is as asteroid heading for Earth and one government group is hiding it for gawd knows what reason (not yet revealed) and some other conspiracy stuff is going on with another group (still not clear what their motives are). But it's ludicrous, astronomers all over the world both professionals and amateurs would know about this asteroid. Even if it were coming from the direction of the Sun, if one group detected it, lots of groups would have detected it.

I can't enjoy sci-fi based on such an ignorant premise.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I am personally very happy to never have to set foot in a learning establishment ever again. Although I did just see a job offer from my old school... not going to apply there, but it just amused me. Right out of school, turn around and go back there as a teacher.

Y'know... As much as I was completely over it after finishing Honours, I think that, if nothing else shakes loose before next year, I might go back and do Masters. Why? Well, down here, to do postgrad you require funding. There's an application process, but basically, either you're already rich, or else you have funding, which amounts to minimum wage, full-time hours, per week (I think). Which, minimum wage in Australia is enough to rent a place on my lonesome. So I'd be treating Masters like a job - not something intended to get me a good job later (Masters in Creative Writing is presumably as inconsequential as Honours in Creative Writing, as far as the job market is concerned), but something to pay the bills right now. Not a long-term solution, but hell... Like I said, if nothing else shakes loose, it's an option.

Even though I don't particularly want to go back to Uni. But I know I could get in and get funding (well, 99% sure, anyway), whereas the actual job market is so shit right now that I can't guarantee anything. If there was no funding, however, there's no way at all I'd even be considering it at this point.

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
Y'know... As much as I was completely over it after finishing Honours, I think that, if nothing else shakes loose before next year, I might go back and do Masters. Why? Well, down here, to do postgrad you require funding. There's an application process, but basically, either you're already rich, or else you have funding, which amounts to minimum wage, full-time hours, per week (I think). Which, minimum wage in Australia is enough to rent a place on my lonesome. So I'd be treating Masters like a job - not something intended to get me a good job later (Masters in Creative Writing is presumably as inconsequential as Honours in Creative Writing, as far as the job market is concerned), but something to pay the bills right now. Not a long-term solution, but hell... Like I said, if nothing else shakes loose, it's an option.

Even though I don't particularly want to go back to Uni. But I know I could get in and get funding (well, 99% sure, anyway), whereas the actual job market is so shit right now that I can't guarantee anything. If there was no funding, however, there's no way at all I'd even be considering it at this point.
I honestly react to recalling the last year or two of schooling like I would to a trauma. A rather pathetic trauma, but still. My anxiety and my depression both have vastly improved since I came out. I suppose if it was a more normal form of school I wouldn't mind going back.

My brother's going through all sorts of applications in hope of getting funding for his PhD. Plenty of schools are interested in having him write for them, just not in giving him any money so he can live while doing so.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
As much as I loved college (14 years of it!) I don't think I'd enjoy it at this point. But I already have a Masters in Accounting and I'm 48 with a great job. No need for it :)

Besides, I'm still only halfway paid off on my student loans :(

I woke up yesterday with my right eye tender to the touch. By last night, the whole eyelid was swollen and puffy. I went to Urgent Care and they said I have a stye... warm compresses and antibiotic creme for me. JUST what I wanted before a three-day art show outside. Yay.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Went to see Dunkirk last night on the IMAX. First time I've seen an IMAX movie in years, but it was worth the extra expense.

Very good movie. Mostly historically accurate for a dramatization, which pleased the inner historian. The interesting thing is how even though you were up close and personal with many of the characters, you really don't learn much about them as far as backstory or motivation - it's all about the "how do we react to the unimaginable" and the only motivation that matters is survival.

It's a very interesting way to tell a story and I wonder how well something like that would transfer to a book vice a more visual medium?

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Sigh, much as I wanted to get into the new TV series, Salvation, I simply cannot get past the story's premise.

[No spoilers follow] Supposedly there is as asteroid heading for Earth and one government group is hiding it for gawd knows what reason (not yet revealed) and some other conspiracy stuff is going on with another group (still not clear what their motives are). But it's ludicrous, astronomers all over the world both professionals and amateurs would know about this asteroid. Even if it were coming from the direction of the Sun, if one group detected it, lots of groups would have detected it.

I can't enjoy sci-fi based on such an ignorant premise.
My mom's been watching that. She doesn't care about "ignorant premises", she enjoys these disaster TV shows and movies *because* they're so dumb. :p Seriously, she just likes laughing at them. Thankfully the DVR makes it so she can wait to watch it when I'm not in the room or doing something else because that kind of program melts my brain.

Mainly doing words and crafting today, I think. As of yesterday, I surpassed my personal record for most words written in a month (at least since I started keeping track of it this April.) My record was from last month at 10,514 words. I am now at 10,851 words for this month with 4 days left to write. *is pleased*

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
How do you do metaphors instead of similes? I keep wanting to go "like" but maybe that's just because of the context?

As much as I loved college (14 years of it!) I don't think I'd enjoy it at this point. But I already have a Masters in Accounting and I'm 48 with a great job. No need for it :)

Besides, I'm still only halfway paid off on my student loans :(
One thing I don't have to worry about. That said, I think they've slammed a limit on how much education we're allowed to get now. I think a few of my classmates couldn't finish their bachelor's because the government suddenly decided to change the rules.

Went to see Dunkirk last night on the IMAX. First time I've seen an IMAX movie in years, but it was worth the extra expense.

Very good movie. Mostly historically accurate for a dramatization, which pleased the inner historian. The interesting thing is how even though you were up close and personal with many of the characters, you really don't learn much about them as far as backstory or motivation - it's all about the "how do we react to the unimaginable" and the only motivation that matters is survival.

It's a very interesting way to tell a story and I wonder how well something like that would transfer to a book vice a more visual medium?
Not very well, I think. For all that there are many touting "show don't tell" like it's gospel, books are not a visual medium, and we need some look into what's going on in people's mind. Maybe you could write chaos and panic well enough as a short story, but for a longer work...

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
How do you do metaphors instead of similes? I keep wanting to go "like" but maybe that's just because of the context?
My understanding is that similes use "like" and "as" to compare one thing to another thing: "He was cool as a cucumber". "Her hair flowed like a river of gold down her back."

Whereas metaphors say something is something else: "He hair was a river of gold flowing down her back." "Our story ideas are seeds that need to be watered with time, attention, and effort."

For a longer explanation and more (probably better) examples, there is this article: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/metaphors-and-similes

Last edited: