The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I woke up yesterday with my right eye tender to the touch. By last night, the whole eyelid was swollen and puffy. I went to Urgent Care and they said I have a stye... warm compresses and antibiotic creme for me. JUST what I wanted before a three-day art show outside. Yay.

But here's your great opportunity to wear a badass eyepatch! And make up a whole bunch of outrageous stories about why your eye is injured if anyone asks.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
But here's your great opportunity to wear a badass eyepatch! And make up a whole bunch of outrageous stories about why your eye is injured if anyone asks.

"It all started on a Tuesday..."

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Join the club. I willing blew off the second half of my workday because I simply didn't feel like doing anything. So I found a park, ate lunch and read while surrounded by nature.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Ugh, an incredibly stressful week comes to a close. Fingers crossed that the stress ebbs a bit.

Good luck with eyes and beading at the show, Greendragon! I use embroidery to lubricate socially awkward show and party situations. My hands are busy, I'm making something, and it fascinates the right kind of people. Also helpfully weeds out the wrong kind of people.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I had a terrible reaction to a wasp sting. I think it was a mutant wasp. Ended up in the hospital. So annoying. Now anti-biotics and and other interesting things. Also people seem to be misunderstanding me of late. There's truly nothing more annoying. Other than that, just waiting for work to start again come August. Yay!!

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ugh, an incredibly stressful week comes to a close. Fingers crossed that the stress ebbs a bit.

Good luck with eyes and beading at the show, Greendragon! I use embroidery to lubricate socially awkward show and party situations. My hands are busy, I'm making something, and it fascinates the right kind of people. Also helpfully weeds out the wrong kind of people.

Sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to read Moro's Price, but I've been so busy of late. Trying to read more from the fellow authors. Thus far it's been fun.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

:Hug2: for the stress.

Good morning Cantina. I have Etsy-ing to do first and then I hope to do teh werdz. I was very happy with the words I did yesterday. Over 600, which is in the "good" zone for me. I'd been worried that I'd have trouble keeping the scene I was working on from being too much of a list of events because little Snow White was exploring all by herself, so no dialog except internal and dialog has always seemed to come more easily to me than descriptions and such. But the scene actually flowed quite well, helped add to characterization and, I think was actually fun and interesting. I wuz pleased. :) Gonna try to do it again today.

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Today, pupper is going to have his first bath. Mwahahahaha. :evil

Join the club. I willing blew off the second half of my workday because I simply didn't feel like doing anything. So I found a park, ate lunch and read while surrounded by nature.

Yesterday was my last day of the summer job (I worked truck), and it was a total disaster. I came home, I napped, and then I spent the entire rest of the day reading, playing video games, and watching tv. It was so relaxing that I basically morphed into a puddle of goo.

:Hug2:Deep Friday breaths. Smell the weekend in the air.

I had a terrible reaction to a wasp sting. I think it was a mutant wasp. Ended up in the hospital. So annoying. Now anti-biotics and and other interesting things.

:Hug2::Hug2:
You know, people might laugh at me for running away from bugs, BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHY. :chair

Other than that, just waiting for work to start again come August. Yay!!

Are you a fellow homework grader?

Good morning, Cantina.

I'm tired. I need more coffee so I can see. I got nothing. :Shrug:

*gives :e2coffee:*

I'd been worried that I'd have trouble keeping the scene I was working on from being tii much of a list of events because little Snow White was exploring all by herself, so do dialog except internal and dialog has always seemed to come more easily to me than descriptions and such. But the scene actually flowed quite well, helped add to characterization and, I think was actually fun and interesting. I wuz pleased. :) Gonna try to do it again today.

See, I'm the opposite, because my dialogue always sounds like I've never had a real conversation in my life. Imagine sending an alien a brochure about human communication, and then unleashing said alien with no other training. That's my dialogue.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone, everyone please! Prepare yourselves for an utterance of magnanimous proportions whose general air of a+wesome is off the hezie, and whose importance level on a scale of 1 to 10, is like, 7.3 or something. Gather yourselves my fellows, gird your loins, and steel your hearts, your mettle is about to be tested by what I shall say and in doing so, you may find yourselves unable to think coherently.

Your feelings will, in all likelihood, overwhelm your minds by the magnificent speech of which I am but the deliverer. Brace yourselves, compatriots of the Cantina, and try not to bite your tongues in awe or pull a butt muscle for the clenching thereof leading up to the thing. Are you ready?
<.<
>.>
Ahem.

woof

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
See, I'm the opposite, because my dialogue always sounds like I've never had a real conversation in my life. Imagine sending an alien a brochure about human communication, and then unleashing said alien with no other training. That's my dialogue.

I hello you, fellow human! How is the weather, please, good enough for you? I am fine. You smell nice today. Look at you later, some bye!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope your pup enjoys it. All I have to say is, "Do you want a bath?" and my 65 lb lab mix heads for any room without water in it. It's a great way to get her out of my business. ;)

Thank you, LAM. Deeply appreciated. :Hug2:

For those of you who have availed yourself of the dungeon of doom called SYW, do you have to post the beginning of your novel or can you post a middle section? I have an internal scene which one of my betas has called into question, and I am looking to see if others agree. It is the last bit I will have to revise, as I have done all the other revisions based on my betas' feedback. But this part is about war. And if I had my druthers, I wouldn't include it at all. War scenes are not my forte.

I only ventured into SYW once, right after I got enough posts to do so back in 2009. (Different book that is currently shelved until I get this series done.) I got such conflicting information I didn't know what to do, and if not for a published author I had made friends with here who went and took a look at what was transpiring and deciphered it for me, I might have fled AW altogether. Instead, I just fled SYW. :greenie

These days I am old hat at giving and getting critiques in the Poetry Critique section, and I know how to say thank you while holding my own opinions and not get confused from differing opinions, regardless how firmly stated. But, since I haven't been there to learn the lay of the land, I have no idea if posting an internal bit is ok or not. So? Is it?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Have a lollypop. Wanna make a sandcastle? :hooray:
Tag, you're it!! :e2bouncey

Yip yip bark!

I hello you, fellow human! How is the weather, please, good enough for you? I am fine. You smell nice today. Look at you later, some bye!

I once attempted to read my characters' utterances aloud; alas, the blood welled up in mine eyes and the earth with tremors did shake.

I hope your pup enjoys it. All I have to say is, "Do you want a bath?" and my 65 lb lab mix heads for any room without water in it. It's a great way to get her out of my business.

I'm hoping bathtime won't be a tussle with him. (I mean, he's 5 lbs, but still). Our last dog was abused before we rescued him and was stark raving terrified of water, so everyone in the house dreaded clean dog time.

For those of you who have availed yourself of the dungeon of doom called SYW, do you have to post the beginning of your novel or can you post a middle section?

I have absolutely seen people post mid sections for crit. They always warn that it's a mid section and sometimes give a little backstory for clarity. I seldom crit anymore, but I read plenty of not-beginnings when I was active.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have absolutely seen people post mid sections for crit. They always warn that it's a mid section and sometimes give a little backstory for clarity. I seldom crit anymore, but I read plenty of not-beginnings when I was active.

Thanks, LAM. That helps. Now I just have to decide if I actually need to have it critted in SYW, or if I can put my fear away and just rewrite the damned scene. He has been right 2 out of 3 times. I'm betting he is right with this scene, too.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Well, what's your gut say? Do you feel, deep down, that there is something wrong with the scene? Or do you think the scene is okay, and that it's the execution that's off? Once I have some time to fume and rage at the world, I usually have a very good sense of whether the advice I've been given is worth its weight.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's worth it's weight. No doubt in my mind. I may just be throwing a tantrum. :tongue

If the scene advances your story, makes it better, and adds to reading pleasure without slowing things down, then your beta may be right. It sounds like your gut is already mostly in agreement with your beta, but the nature of scene being something you're less familiar with is causing a bit of anxiety. On the other hand, even if it's a tough, unfamiliar type of scene for you to write, you'll probably learn something from trying to fix it, and that can only strengthen you as a writer.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the scene advances your story, makes it better, and adds to reading pleasure without slowing things down, then your beta may be right. It sounds like your gut is already mostly in agreement with your beta, but the nature of scene being something you're less familiar with is causing a bit of anxiety. On the other hand, even if it's a tough, unfamiliar type of scene for you to write, you'll probably learn something from trying to fix it, and that can only strengthen you as a writer.

So very well said. And I need to get through this and do the work to learn how to write a good war scene, because there will be more war in later books, I'm sure. Such is the dynamic I have set up when I created this world. And it is only anxiety holding me back. I just need to get through it and get on with it.

Thank you.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
saw my bff today, have my sis-in-law visiting... been nice to be around good humans :)

You know, people might laugh at me for running away from bugs, BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHY. :chair

poor pupper. close the bathroom door so he doesn't make a break for it hehe

bugs are evil. pure evil. :chair

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Today has been somewhat slow, but I've gotten a fair amount done. Made a grocery store run. Started applesauce in the slowcooker. Wrote a chapter on the new project.

Also realized that Charles de Lint put five star ratings on my Southern Gothic novellas on Goodreads. I may be a little giddy.

Still have girl-cramps. *boo* But there's pot pie for dinner so the world's not completely terrible.

Aggy, boo, cramps

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Aggy!! :hooray:

Pupper survived Bath Time. He was very sad and pathetic and clearly wondered what terrible thing he'd done, but he's clean and dry and napping on my lap.