The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Cantina. The prodigal Cantina-ite returns.

I did words this week - 6700 of them, all non-fiction words, but a certain film review column is now done and was handed in last night. And also last night, my Blu-ray player went wrong, after some five years of pretty heavy use. It plays the discs, but no sound comes out, which is an issue as it has a 5.1 amplifier built into it. So that will be a new one (once payday has happened), which is money I didn't particularly want to spend right now. I'm going to have to start working overtime at the day job again, so that will reduce available time again.

I still need to get someone out to quote for a hole in my kitchen ceiling where part of it came down. Will be done on insurance, but the issue is finding someone and then getting a quote out of them. So, hassle chez eyeblink.

Also not good is a very close friend of mine, whom I've known for twenty-nine years now, who has dementia, diagnosed a year ago. She's twenty years older than me, so will be seventy-three in December. She won't be getting better, and while she's not at the stage where she might have to go into a home or something like that, she's not the way she was. Very sad.

Sometime I'll get to fiction writing, and if I am going to fulfil my New Year resolution for six completed stories in a year (as I did in 2013 and 2015) I have two months to complete three. Two have been started, and if I complete a Sisyphus story in first draft before the end of New Year's Eve that will count as another one.

Oh well. Hopefully a relaxing weekend ahead. How is everyone?

November will be the month of my tenth anniversary on AW.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Could be worse. Could be the desert, with sand. I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.
As I understand it, quoting the prequel trilogy is an automatic fail, so there. :tongue

Hey, guys? Yesterday, I had thought of a name for the country in my Snow White retelling, but I forgot to write it down and now...now it's gone. I can even picture the exact moment I thought of it, but I can't remember the actual name! Whyyyyyyyyy? :cry: *goes back to writing and calling the place "the kingdom" 25-gazillion times*
Damn, that's frustrating!

See if you can Spot the Topaz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B91h7Rn5BFITRUZ1U2hrREpVS0k/view?usp=sharing

Sowwy I can't figure out how to post a legit photos from gdrive...
Awww... Adorable little pupper found a hiding place!

Um...what Rel said! *tries to look like she Meant To Do That* :chair
You totally look like you meant to do that! :greenie

(Actually I really don't and it probably wasn't, and now I feel like a slacker and full of sad because clearly you are seeing other mods behind my back and this explains why none of you get me flowers anymore though of course none of you ever did so I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.)
Flowers? Here! And here, in a vase!

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I doubled the amount of words I wrote this week! still only 2k, but I'm happy

Yep, it seems your character is no doubt unique. :) As for Drizzt... I didn't know who he was either, when my friends wanted to play him. I found out years later, when I read about 10 Drizzt novels. :)

Damn those nefarious DMs! Although to be fair, I've never actually gotten on the bad side of a DM. Probably this is because I have only played 3 or 4 pen-and-paper role-playing games. But yeah - I always seemed to be one of the DM's favourites. Brown noser. That's me. :tongue

glad I'm not the only one. to be honest, I don't play video games as often as I play tabletop. only video games I play are sandbox ones or visual novels.

my DM's gf is in our group, so I'll never be the fav XD but he also puts in challenges specifically for her character. the man is DEDICATED to telling the best story possible, even if it means making the players cry (that's legit happened. we've cried. it was great)

Good morning, Cantina. The prodigal Cantina-ite returns.

Also not good is a very close friend of mine, whom I've known for twenty-nine years now, who has dementia, diagnosed a year ago. She's twenty years older than me, so will be seventy-three in December. She won't be getting better, and while she's not at the stage where she might have to go into a home or something like that, she's not the way she was. Very sad.

hello! sorry to hear about your friend.

As I understand it, quoting the prequel trilogy is an automatic fail, so there. :tongue

if you quote the prequels, you volunteer to represent the Cantina in a podrace. it's a new rule I just made up

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
@eyeblink: sorry about your friend.:Hug2:

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT IT WASN'T ME YOU HAVE NO PROOF

banana-evil.gif

(Actually I really don't and it probably wasn't, and now I feel like a slacker and full of sad because clearly you are seeing other mods behind my back and this explains why none of you get me flowers anymore though of course none of you ever did so I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.)
:e2flowers

See if you can Spot the Topaz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B91h7Rn5BFITRUZ1U2hrREpVS0k/view?usp=sharing

Sowwy I can't figure out how to post a legit photos from gdrive...
Eeeeeeep! *dies of cuteness*

Morning Cantina. I am surprised my muscles aren't more sore than they are after all that painting yesterday. Anyway, the first coat of blue has been put on the hall bathroom walls and it looks very nice. A second coat will have to be put in later when we get more paint. I also carved a pumpkin yesterday and did some wordage. Moar wordage today.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Cantina.

We're meeting up with one of Hippolyta's grandmother's old friends today for lunch, and then taking photos for Christmas cards/baby update photos.

My prediction is neither is going to go well. Luckily we got a pizza. And beer.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

So sorry about your friend, eyeblink. I went through a similar thing with an older friend, who thought of me as her "little sister." Not a day passes that I don't think of her (she's passed away now.) She was a writer too, and she would have been pleased as punch that I am following a similar path.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
@Shoeless, I should mention regarding the puppeh pic that she'd been in the house for all of two hours when it was took. So, rightfully nervous, I'd say... she's sleeping by me rn so I can only imagine she likes me a bit more than she did. :)

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
I have! And it should fit the bill for you. No gore or heavy violence, likeable main character, good world-building.
I *loved* that book, fwiw, and it definitely gave me warm fuzzies as a story. :)
Excellent! It is ordered and should be here soon. Looking forward to it.

Also went to see Thor:Ragnarok this weekend which was fabulous and fun and generally super-cheering. The film was preceded by some excellent noodles and gossip with a friend, and on our way into the cinema we passed Iain Glen hanging out in Brixton.

Sometime I'll get to fiction writing, and if I am going to fulfil my New Year resolution for six completed stories in a year (as I did in 2013 and 2015) I have two months to complete three. Two have been started, and if I complete a Sisyphus story in first draft before the end of New Year's Eve that will count as another one.
Really sorry to hear about your friend.

I hope you manage to get your six stories done - I've missed all my writing goals this year by a wide margin, but I'm hoping I can kick two more shorts out the door before the year ends.

I doubled the amount of words I wrote this week! still only 2k, but I'm happy

if you quote the prequels, you volunteer to represent the Cantina in a podrace. it's a new rule I just made up
Congrats on the wordage!

I always assumed that quoting the Movies That Shall Not Be Named would result in more of a punishment, maybe having to watch the scene of Padma and Anakin frolicking in a field on loop while Steve holds your eyes open.

Morning Cantina. I am surprised my muscles aren't more sore than they are after all that painting yesterday. Anyway, the first coat of blue has been put on the hall bathroom walls and it looks very nice. A second coat will have to be put in later when we get more paint. I also carved a pumpkin yesterday and did some wordage. Moar wordage today.
I will be unable to carve a pumpkin this year due to being on travel and so I request that you provide a picture so I can pumpkin-by-proxy.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Niiiiice pumpkin.

Eyeblink, so sorry to hear about your friend. That's getting ready to happen in my family/friend group, and it's always heartbreaking.

Got my flu shot today. As a backup plan, I'm boiling down sugar syrup and a horehound decoction, for superstrong bitter horehound candy. The stuff in the stores is wimpy.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Nice pumpkin, EFB! I might try one tomorrow.

After getting some really great feedback from an agent, I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it. I really liked their suggestion, but damned if I can quite see how to work it out. I'm really getting frustrated over it, too. :gaah

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome pumpkin, E.F.B.

I wrote two chapters yesterday, trying to go for the same amount today. Once the rewrites for the first quarter are finished, tweaking the rest of the novel shouldn't be as hard. I came up with a title, too.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for making progress, folks! :)

Woke up to get a drink of water at 4 this morning and discovered a mess of partially dried applesauce and broken glass shards all over one side of the kitchen. Cat (one of them) decided to knock some jars off the very top shelf in an attempt to find a comfy place to sleep. >_< Working up the willpower to go finish cleaning it up now.

Then, breakfast. Then all the words, I hope. Multiple different types of projects to work on today. (YA novel, Patreon content, plotting NaNoWriMo project, outlining a new novella series.)

Aggy, brewing all the tea too

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Great looking pumpkin, EFB! I still have to carve mine.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hugs on the cat vandalism, Aggy. Kudos to cute puppies and wordz!

The horehound candy came out great. I used cane sugar, maple sugar, vanilla, a bit of mint, and two ounces of reeky strong horehound leaves. I stopped as soon the water boiled off the herbal decoction: not hard candy, but luscious soft sugar crystals that are easier to use. You get the maple and vanilla first, then the bitter kick of the horehound.

There may be words today.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to a workshop tomorrow run by an organization that helps people with disabilities into the workforce. after the workshop, I'll be getting consultations on what fields I should consider entering. my fall back is working from home, but I'd like to be around other human beings in possible ><

I always assumed that quoting the Movies That Shall Not Be Named would result in more of a punishment, maybe having to watch the scene of Padma and Anakin frolicking in a field on loop while Steve holds your eyes open.

we're more benevolent than that

Morning Cantina.

We're meeting up with one of Hippolyta's grandmother's old friends today for lunch, and then taking photos for Christmas cards/baby update photos.

My prediction is neither is going to go well. Luckily we got a pizza. And beer.

how did they go?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Aaa yes, crackerjack pumpkin carving, E.F.B! :Clap: :e2cheer:

I'm considering preserving this year's pumpkin whole, as it's perfectly formed and may make a nice room decoration.
On another note, some yobs have already started chucking eggs around the neighourhood, the little b*****ds :rant:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need a hug.

My car got stolen last night. It was an old car, the passenger side window didn't work, the windshield leaked, it had no radio, etc. It was on its last legs, honestly, and even before this, I had been talking with my boyfriend about buying his car. But it was still MY car, that I bought with MY money way back when, a pricey make and model that served me faithfully for 25 years. I just feel heartsick.