The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I don't think I replied to the last one... so maybe I'll be involved in this one. Finally.
Did you bring doughnuts? You have to bring doughnuts in such cases. Bring cases of doughnuts.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I used to have a list of all the cantinas, but we have to be on 6 or 7 by now.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:hi: *tacklehugs*

It feels like it, and then you go back and realize the last one's almost two years old. I think the regular name changes make the thread feel fresh.
Was it really that old? Wow.

So, that short story my mind told me to write as I went to sleep last night? I just wrote it. 2400 words. It took me an hour and a half.
Your ability to churn out stories like that is #goals for me. I wrote a cutesy little contemporary story around that length last month and it took me about 5 days. I am also not quite sure what to do with said story, if anything. I wrote it for a casual short story writing competition for an equally casual writing group on Goodreads and it won. Of course, only three people entered...but those few who read it said they liked it. Now it's kinda just...sitting there. Staring at me. *stares back at story* *blinks first* Dang it.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Of course, I can't say anything about the QUALITY of said story. Fast doesn't mean good. This is now the fifth short story I've ever written.
There's always editing. :)

ION: Do you guys know what I just realized? I just opened my Snow White Retelling doc to check my word count for today to update my Camp Nano count, and I realized that I've been mistyping one of my character's names ALL WEEK. Literally all this week, I've been typing his name as "Tulkas" but his name is supposed to be "Torkel". Torkel is a dwarf in my story. Tulkas is one of the Valar in Tolkien's "The Silmarillion." I CANNOT BELIEVE I DID THAT ALL WEEK AND DIDN'T NOTICE UNTIL NOW! THERE WERE NEARLY 10 INSTANCES OF IT! *headdesk* *does search and replace for all the things*

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Oh look! Shiny new Cantina is shiny.

*rubs glitter all over the smibble pile*

~Winks, who wishes you all well in case she dies in a Winks klutz moment while running the Tough Mudder tomorrow

P.S. And yes, she realizes she's insane to think it will be fun to get super duper muddy and shocked with 10,000 volts...but she'll be doing it with magenta and lavender streaked pixie cut hair, so yay?

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
P.P.S. I would wear a GoPro to memorialize the event, but unfortunately, the soundtrack would be full of me swearing the entire time even though I don't normally swear...but I have a feeling there will be a lot of swearing tomorrow. More than just "FIDDLESTICKS!"

:greenie

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina and a new thread is a good time to say hello. I've been away for quite a while.

Simple reason is that the first half of this year has been very busy, what with quite a few commitments and a few other real-world things that may well be happening. I also was working quite a bit of overtime to pay for a few things, including a new kitchen floor and my visit to Finland next month for Worldcon. (If you're going, see you there.) So that squeezed my time quite bit, and energy levels too, truth be told. It's been a lot of hard work, though I do enjoy doing it, but my Blu-ray/DVD review column for a certain magazine has just been shortlisted for a British Fantasy Award in Best Non-Fiction.

I've been away since last Sunday, staying with a friend and her husband on the Lincolnshire coast before moving on to Derby, where I am now for Edge-Lit, which starts in about an hour from now. Back home tomorrow afternoon, then back to the day job on Monday.

Hope everyone is well, and hugs if needed. I hope not to be away for quite so long in future.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I know Derby! (Vicariously, anyway.) My grandad's family was from there. I've been once, when I was 13 (I think), but don't remember much of it. Pretty sure the only Derby memory I have is playing a soccer video game with 2 of my cousins, who actually played soccer for reals, and completely owning them at it. :D :tongue I mean, I knew the basics of the game, and kid-me was a video game ninja. But yeah - they weren't too happy about me beating them at their own game. :)

In other news, I've kind of given up on the idea of moving to England anytime soon. This has been one of the coldest South Australian winters that I've experienced, and I've basically been chained to the heater a lot. And yeah... These temps would still be considered warm-ish for Englandlanders.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Shiny new thread. I remember when the last one was just a little baby threadlet, and now it's laid to rest. :cry:

I've just finished six months of study culminating in a brutal exam. Now I can write. As soon as my brain pieces itself together again.

In a battle between the Cantina and the ORPCC, I think the latter would come out ahead. The new thread has 3000 posts in the last 3 weeks.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the love everyone! :Hug2: It's so good to be back :)

And yay for new Cantina! I was surprised yesterday that the last one was still active.

*steals half*

ION, I've been at my parents house all week and now it's time to fly home. My 2 boys did well on the 3 hour flight out here so hopefully today will go smoothly as well.

So how are y'all?

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Just tried to cut the worst of puppy's fur tangles, and accidentally cut her! Horrifying. She seems to have forgiven me, what with lying next to me. I'm not quite done grooming her, but we've both had more than enough for today, methinks.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Cantina.

Survived the day trip yesterday. (Which was not so much dramatic, just a lot of hours spent in the car on an infamously bad highway route where one semi truck swung out in front of us with inches to spare. And later, a different truck actually ran us off the road onto the shoulder. Blech. I get that driving trucks is hard work, but aggressive drivers are the worst.)

Working on some review requests this morning. Maybe fictional words later. Depends on how my brain behaves.

Aggy, tired out still

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Wow, new Cantina makes everyone come out of the woodwork! *searches woodwork for the rest of our long-time-not-seen Cantinites*

I slept pretty good last night and am surprisingly not too tired. I'm not sure what the plans for the day are, but I think it's mostly wordage and lawn mowing, with maybe a little porch painting in the side.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Cantina. Apparently my body decided I needed zero sleeps last night, which is aggravating.

We've been having World War Cat this morning--they keep dive bombing each other from the furniture as one walks past. It's been pretty hilarious. :e2cat:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
WhooHoo New Cantina!
Got to love that Mad Scientists Smell (TM) It will fade with the random scent of donuts, cake, fermenting juices, and pet smells.

Okay, so I'm getting really annoyed at the part-time job I have. So the management isn't great, there's a lot of backbiting, and complaining and lazy people who think lots of things are supposed to be done by someone else. But it's not bad really. Until you get a bunch of people who just up and quit. (which seems to be a re-occurring issue with this place) Apparently the district manager is an arsehole, and reamed one of the assistant managers last week for her drawer being off so she quit on the spot, another lady just decided to stop showing up, another assistant manager put in her two-weeks notice (which was up this week) and the kitchen manager put in her 2 weeks. This is on top of not having enough people in the first place. So the remaining managers are all scrambling around to cover kitchen scheduling. I've already had to put my foot down about this only being part time for me. 20 hours is it.
So origionally I was only on the schedule for 3 days this past week: Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. (4 hours each) That's cool, I have things to catch up on. Then my name popped up on the schedule for Friday and Sat. Again, that's cool. Then I was taken off Friday's schedule. Again that's okay. So I work Wed night thinking I have 2 days off. Thursday morning rolls around and I get a phone call asking if I can work Friday night. I say no as it's the only day I get to spend with Hubby. Then I'm asked if I can work on Thurs night. I relent and say yes. No biggie, I've fulfilled my commitment of hours for the week. Then they start calling me Friday asking me to work. No, we aren't even in town as we are celebrating his b-day and our anniversary. Then I get a call at 10:30 pm, which I didn't answer from work and I have a sneaking suspicion they wanted me to come in for the midnight to 8 am shift. No freaking way.
You know that saying: "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
Yeah, I think I'm going to quote them that.
This kind of BS is what's tempting me to turn in a 2 week today.