The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I finished my necklace :) About 6 hours' work.
25157957_10155024346492483_2757462408903443509_n.jpg
SUPER pretty, GD! That would have taken me way longer than 6 hours, LOL.

Effby, if I may ask, how many hours are you putting into your scarves? I'm pricing handwork on Etsy. I know I can't come near my normal $15/hour, but a realistic price range could guide me on how many hours to spend on specific projects.
This question has uncanny timing seeing how I logged on to say I just sold two of my scarves at once. :D

To answer your question, it depends on the scarf and whether or not I've made that pattern before, but the two scarves I just sold (smaller one-skein scarves) probably only took...6 to 8 hours at absolute most? I don't time myself as strictly with my yarn items as I do with my jewelry because I'm painfully aware that I'm not the fastest knitter or crocheter in the world, especially with being cautious not to make my tennis elbow worse, and like you said, setting a strict $/hour cost could end up pricing me out of the market, so I price based more on loose estimates of time, plus difficulty.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Larp experience and totally cool necklace. Wow!

I have nothing on the department of awesomesauce (for example can’t sleep right now), but once I do, I’ll share. :) Good night for now.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Have I been in here before?
Yep, and we've been spraying air freshener ever since. ;p

Just got around to watching the trailer for "Please Stand By" that Aggy recommended. It looks great! I wanna see it. It also makes me want a screen adaptation of Geekerella, because that's the level of geekiness that was in that, too, and I loved it so much. <3

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
WE HAD SNOW TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT LOOKS SO PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(let me enjoy it now -- I'll be grousing about it after New Year's)

Also, since we've been talking music, my current earworm is Cindy Lauper's Time After Time. They played it at the end of S2 of Stranger Things and then I danced my rumba routine to it during our studio's holiday spotlight last week. It's a happy song and made our routine that much more special. :)

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
I couldn't fall asleep last night, I ended up reading until like four and then tossed and turned for anywhere between a half and a whole hour only to wake up at eight with no desire for more sleep. It wasn't the good book that kept me awake, I just... didn't want to turn off.

My mother is very concerned about how I'm currently not job hunting and is pulling on her contacts to become my contacts, and I'm trying to figure out if, and how, I should tell I don't know if I'm up for trying anything when it'll all prove futile. I think I'm feeling just a touch too hopeless for it to be worthwhile. On the other hand, I'm grateful that's a luxury I can allow myself, to just sit here and be useless and hopeless and try to coax my imaginary friends into talking with me again.

Oh man, I understand how you feel. I am SO THERE. This is my life right now, right down to the feeling useless/hopeless, the job woes, and the sleeping issues.

I wish I had a solution. You're not alone.

I'm just enjoying the chance to write.

Hope everything works out!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa...? But... the sheep! I mean... welcome back, I suppose, even if you're a pod person.

I have the feeling there is some reference I'm not understanding.

Morning, Cantina. My throat is not as sore as yesterday (vodka and orange juice for the win there), but the rest of me still feels pretty crummy.

That really sucks. Hope you feel better soon.

Morning guys! Happy Sunday.:snoopy: I shared something interesting on another thread, but I know a lot of you just visit this one-stop station, so here it is again: How Star Wars was saved in the edit

*carefully saves to watch later*

I, on the other hand, HAD A WONDERFUL EVENING!!! :eek: and I will now share the highlights with you: So I got this friend, right? This friend of mine does this thing, like, where she RUNS A VAMPIRE LARP!!

Dammy that sounds like it was REALLY FUN!

I finished my necklace :) About 6 hours' work.
25157957_10155024346492483_2757462408903443509_n.jpg

That's REALLY PRETTY!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy, the song was beautiful. Whoa!

It reminds me a bit of this version of The Parting Glass from The Walking Dead. Which was part of what I found interesting about the Lullaby - it was written by contemporary folks, but sounds so much like an old Irish lament.

ION, I have watched my fever slowly climb all day. Fun fun fun. Fortunately I have a normally low body temp so I have to be really really sick to start getting to seizure inducing levels. But there's still a lot of room for "aching and hot all over".

Trying to finish up a piece of a novel, then off to bed. (Maybe I'll get some more Jacq and Edward written tomorrow. Today was mostly a wash.)

Aggy, still hydrating (and peeing every thirty minutes)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Tonight we went up to Syracuse to see the Lights by the Lake, a drive-through Christmas light thingy... it was fun, but a little odd. They had a whole section of Wizard of Oz lights. We were... 'is that a tornado? What the hell do tornadoes have to do with Christmas???'

Still, it was pretty. We had a small bit of snow this morning, but it had melted away by noon. Snowy on the drive to Syracuse, but clear most of the way back.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight we went up to Syracuse to see the Lights by the Lake, a drive-through Christmas light thingy... it was fun, but a little odd. They had a whole section of Wizard of Oz lights. We were... 'is that a tornado? What the hell do tornadoes have to do with Christmas???'

Maybe it's meant to make you imagine being swept away to the North Pole, crushing Santa with your house, stealing his boots because they're magic or something, and taking over Christmas.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
You know what? I've been listening to 2 partial songs for the last few days, and I must say - they're actually pretty good! I mean, I was mulling over the thought of pulp music the other day, and honestly, I think that was just a reaction to having made 2 partial songs that don't sound like what I actually listen to. But yeah... They're actually pretty decent, I feel.

Slowly coming 'round to this new aspect of my music-making. What I should be doing is finishing those songs off, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. Yesterday I had some pretty awful anxiety, and today I've been doing Christmas shopping and following up on a few things. Soon, though. Hopefully soon I'll work on these songs some more.

Oh, and I've also been pontificating on how complex a song needs to be / how much repetition is too much. Coming to a new understanding of how music works, I think. Like, improvising on guitar has been my baseline reading for ages, yet improvising on one instrument tends towards more complex guitar lines, as opposed to seating the guitar line in an overall song. When I did FAWM earlier this year, I struggled to get my songs simple enough that they worked, yet still complex enough to be interesting. Seem to be making progress on that right now, with these digital songs. Which is good. :)

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I am woozy-tired. Possibly due to not eating enough yesterday catching up to me, or maybe it's the sleeping pill I took last night to make sure I didn't stay up all night again, as the sleep-deprived anxiety was pushing me towards. My pill-pusher (Mum) said it had that side-effect. Puppy is getting a haircut today, she'll be nekkid soon, but luckily I have a sweater for her which is actually cute and she tolerates wearing. Sounds like Dammy had an awesome evening.

Oh man, I understand how you feel. I am SO THERE. This is my life right now, right down to the feeling useless/hopeless, the job woes, and the sleeping issues.

I wish I had a solution. You're not alone.

I'm just enjoying the chance to write.

Hope everything works out!
I hope everything works out for you, too. This is a crappy place to be.

I have the feeling there is some reference I'm not understanding.
Probably. I'm not entirely sure I understand what I meant either.

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
I rarely write poetry or songs, but when I do, it's because I need to get the emotions out. I got one down tonight to get a chorus out of my head. The formatting has it looking like the readout of an EKG meter.

Also, thank you all. While mom wasn't the initial encourager of my journey down the path of becoming a writer, she did seem to enjoy the few works I deemed ok to share with her. We did share book series, though, when she felt ok.

...She was the one who taught me how to read chapter books. I remember her handing me a copy of Black Beauty and trying to get me to read it with her. At the time, I wasn't as interested as I was in the Magic School Bus. I think the Barbie novels I had received for Christmas one year is what got me fully into it.

I think that, tonight after dinner and chores, it's going to be a reading night. I finally got a paperback copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child that I've been wanting to read, so it's gonna get its first read through.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Aggy, more of the same beauty. This is my go to song when I feel... blue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OXNjXEV5hI (Blue Caravan by Vienna Teng)

I keep coming back here, so I guess I'm staying (at least for now; I'm quite fickle when it comes to things like this). :) Warm thoughts to everyone.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
*stumbles in*

*stubs toe on the bar*

*makes grabby hands for her large-ish mug of coffee*

*mumbles something that might be good morning*

*sinks into smibble pile*

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Cantina.

*Refills the coffee barrels. Yes, I said 'refill' not 'swap out' because how else are you supposed to get that rich fermentation flavor?*

We made lots of Christmas cookies last night and oddly Hoplittle wasn't a fan. Not complaining, just more curious than anything.

Planning on finishing up the shorty I was working on last week today and watching the snow fall outside. Also waiting for kiddie water activity class registration to open up.

My mother is very concerned about how I'm currently not job hunting and is pulling on her contacts to become my contacts, and I'm trying to figure out if, and how, I should tell I don't know if I'm up for trying anything when it'll all prove futile. I think I'm feeling just a touch too hopeless for it to be worthwhile. On the other hand, I'm grateful that's a luxury I can allow myself, to just sit here and be useless and hopeless and try to coax my imaginary friends into talking with me again.

I've been there, and it sucks. I don't think there really is much advice for how to get through it, other than just keep trying. It's soul draining, time and time again not hearing back from a job, or hearing "No". And yeah, having your parents pull on their contacts to give you pity-help doesn't make you feel any better about it.

*stumbles in*

*stubs toe on the bar*

:hi:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*stumbles in*

*stubs toe on the bar*

This is how I'm feeling as well, except tea instead of coffee. ;)

Morning Cantina. Somewhat busy day today. I'll start with editing and then both my parents have an afternoon doctor's appointment, which will require sitting, waiting, and reading on my part. I have a good book, though, so no problem there. :) Then, we have to go get some boxes to pack and ship the two scarves I sold yesterday.

ETA: I just made another sale! To Ireland! This is my first international sale! *flails*

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
You know that thing when you have a perfect image of a scene in your head, but the moment you try to translate it into words, it ends up being, like, two half sentences and an emoticon?

Puppy is not quite as bald as I feared, but it's probably still a good thing she has a sweater.

ETA: Hey, can anyone reccomend a good first-person, preferably second world fantasy, book? I need to get in the first-person head-space. Not Dresden Files, though they're awesome.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The Farseer books (Robin Hobb) are first person.
Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind: while the narration is technically third person, he tells his story in most of it in first person to a chronicler.
I seem to remember Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) being first person, at least in part (Morgaine's POV)
Hunger Games is 1st, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Effby, our own internationally sold author!!! WOOHOO!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah, OK - that, too! :)

So, Probably no one cares, but the reason I got into writing was partially because I loved writing trip reports. Part of the impetus on that was because I was active in the Fodor's Travel Forums for many years (pre-2000, even). Some of the more hilarious threads are classic. I don't know if you can get to them or not, but I think so... if you like general silliness, puns, and idiocy, and need a cure for your insomnia, you may want to check them out...

Are the Vikings really bad in Scandinavia in September?

How much should I tip the pilot?

Pray for the Leg!