The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I just ate my first Tim Tam. It was awesome. And addictive. Someone should probably hide the bag from me.

Those can be evil. My wife has a special relationship with that snack.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Those can be evil. My wife has a special relationship with that snack.
I can see why.

*lives in the land of Tim Tams*

You're welcome, world. :tongue
THANK YOU AUSTRALIA!:kiss:

I have eaten three oranges in a row. Go vitamin C!
I have OJ with my tea every morning and have been trying to also eat clementines along with other fruit. *hoards the immunity-boosting vitamins*

Morning Cantina. I slept pretty sound last night and am therefore being a little slow getting moving. Breakfast should help. Looks like the forecast is calling for the first snow of winter for this weekend! Could be around 4 inches. I and my mom are totally fine with snow, but my dad is already freaking out. I'm sure we'll get the speeches about how he wishes we could move to Florida for the entire winter, which we'll never be able to do, but I guess the griping gives him an outlet for his anxiety. Meanwhile my mom and I will just enjoy the prettyness and laugh at da beagle being silly when he plays in it.

PixelOwl

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, pass me some of that sweet vitamin c, I got super sick overnight. My head feels like a brick and coffee isn't helping nearly as much as it should.

Also, snow--colour me jealous. Today's absolutely the kind of day I'd love to curl up in blankets and watch some weather.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
No snow here in upstate NY yet. We did have some fall about a month ago, but nothing really stuck on the ground. It's been unseasonably warm... until tonight. Getting down to 20F. It says snow Tuesday, with a low of 13, and a high of 19 on Wednesday. I think our respite is over.

I just heard a cover of Sympathy with the Devil by Guns N Roses. I never realized they recorded a cover of that. It's one of my favorite all-time Stones songs. They did a creditable job.

Tonight I have a work holiday mixer thingy. Tomorrow hubbie and I will travel north a couple hours to check out some holiday lights in various places that take it way too seriously :) Tuesday I'm speaking at the Waverly Library about historical fiction research methods.

I finished my edits on Misfortune of Song and got them back to the editor. This was round 1 of 3, but it was a heavy one. Mostly grammatical things, and a couple of suggestions to increase the impact of the story - and I ended up changing LOTS of bits. I probably should have done all that before I submitted, but you learn new stuff all the time - and I submitted this back in September. I'm a better author now! (presumably).

Now I get to dive into doing a full read-through edit of Misfortune of Time. This is always the most painful one.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
Uhhuh, listening to Sympathy for the Devil now. :)

Also, drinking tea and eating mandarins. Gimme that C!

Still sick. Trying to get better. Have a good day, sweet people! :heart:

Oh, and if we want to rec songs for feeling better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORQX4QQwmII I've fallen in love with this band (Nothing But Thieves). Saw them live this summer and it was magical.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
It was Star Wars night at the hockey game last evening. So much nerdiness in one place. This is about a quarter of the cosplayers present. There was even a full-sided Chewy.

Star_Wars.jpg

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Cantinaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE MISSED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hugs everyone*

*deposits plate of cookies*

So....question of the vocabulary nature. I work for a dance shoe company and I'm trying to edit the "About Us" page and stress the comfort of the shoes (believe me, they are), but...I feel like English is failing me. Can any of you think of a stronger way to say "our shoes are comfortable"??

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Tiana, how about something like, "Our shoes are so comfortable you'll want to dance!" That kind of thing - add an element of living into the sentence. "The epitome of comfort", "so comfortable <x>", "Made from <comfortable material> for your pleasure". Something like that?

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
So....question of the vocabulary nature. I work for a dance shoe company and I'm trying to edit the "About Us" page and stress the comfort of the shoes (believe me, they are), but...I feel like English is failing me. Can any of you think of a stronger way to say "our shoes are comfortable"??

Refresh your feet with the orgasmic ecstasy of our KittenPoof Tech soles!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
JJ, nope, that won't work at all. I mean, you left out the words "foot fetish"! How are we supposed to entice people with non-fetish-based orgasmic ecstasy? *shakes head* Not gonna happen.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Cantinaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE MISSED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hugs everyone*

*deposits plate of cookies*

TIanaaaaaaaaa! *hugs* Oooo, cookies!

Refresh your feet with the orgasmic ecstasy of our KittenPoof Tech soles!
I like it! :greenie

Personally, I think you'd be toeing a line with a slogan like that.
I kinda think it's already a step too far.
Seems like it should really be brought to heel.
ARG THE PUUUUUNS!

I was coming in here to whine about winter blahs, but I kinda feel better now. Thanks for being such wonderful weirdos, Cantinites. ;)

OhForFrithsSake

Registered
Reaction score

I've got "Treat your feet" stuck on repeat. :D

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I kinda think it's already a step too far.

Seems like it should really be brought to heel.

You guys are really on the ball here. I'm glad I'm not the sole person punning.

And :welcome: to the Cantina, OhForFrithsSake! We've got everything, from smibbles to a kraken and...well, nothing else is really in-between those two in any way, but there's plenty of silliness here.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently toying with the thought of being a pulp fiction musician. That is, the non-high-brow stuff that isn't trying to do anything special, but is just there to be enjoyed. It's quite a change in mentality, really... For the longest time, I've only listened to bands that did complex stuff, often with a message or some sort of reason to it. Yet the music I'm making on my computer is basically pulp fiction. And here's the thing: That piece I was working on is actually catchy. It's a different type of music to what I'm used to, but damn, it's *catchy*.

Maybe there's something in all that? Like, has anybody ever heard of a pulp fiction equivalent in music? Pop music maybe? But I mean something that isn't genre-specific. Like, you can have pulp SF, pulp romance, pulp western - whatever. So not pop music as a genre. Some sort of non-genre-specific equivalent?

*ponders*

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Well there's the four chord song. But there is surely more phenomenon that and I don't think it's genre-specific (and not just pop given how pop has changed over the years).

:grumbles about current pop's tendencies to synth-distorted voices, hip-hop repetition and lack of real melody:

:shakes cane:.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure there has to be some sort of recognisable term to indicate music's form of pulp fiction. I just can't think of one... (Not pop. I'm in agreement with you there.) And in case I wasn't clear, I'm not using "pulp fiction" as a code-word for "crap". I've met several writers right here on AW who make a very strong case for why pulp fiction is great - number one being that you can just enjoy it and it doesn't have to be this big thing. And that's what I'm pondering in regards to music - whether it's an established thing to just come up with pulp-type music for the sake of fun.

And also important, whether such things are enjoyable enough to enough people to make a career with pulp music, in the same way that pulp writers can make a living.