The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Urgh. Only two chapters until the #3 draft is through, and I'm at that point where I'm questioning everything about my writing - from word choice, to punctuation, to content, to the choices that brought me to this very moment.

Vacillating between extremes is always so tiring. It's either "my writing's hot shit" or "no one will ever want to read this", changing several times from dawn till dusk.

I feel like a cliché - a bad one at that.

I've been there. you're not a cliche, it's just part of the creative process. you're your own harshest critic

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Urgh. Only two chapters until the #3 draft is through, and I'm at that point where I'm questioning everything about my writing - from word choice, to punctuation, to content, to the choices that brought me to this very moment.

Vacillating between extremes is always so tiring. It's either "my writing's hot shit" or "no one will ever want to read this", changing several times from dawn till dusk.

Welcome to the club.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I'm right with you. Today I revised a decent scene and felt like a writing god.:e2crown: The very next scene made me doubt my entire novel and want to rip my eyes out. :gaah
Why do we do this to ourselves? :e2smack:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
They moved into the realm 'under the hills' afterwards, and the Irish word for hill is "sidhe" (pronounced shee), they became known as the sidhe, or aos sí (ace shee).

dang it. *adds that to long list of words she mispronounces*

I suspect too many D&D Dark Elf rip-offs or Tolkeinesque elves - Tall, haughty, and impossibly beautiful - are being submitted these days.

I intend to use some elves in a novel, but they'll be based more on the Norse dark, light, and gray elves ...

*Oh boy! More books for researching for my library!*

but...but I likes me some Drizzt...

Also, let me know what you find regarding the Norse elves. I shall be researching that as well. Soon. *eyes a certain draft* Soon-ish.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm right with you. Today I revised a decent scene and felt like a writing god.:e2crown: The very next scene made me doubt my entire novel and want to rip my eyes out. :gaah
Why do we do this to ourselves? :e2smack:
*falls in line* Yeah, I thought I was doing well yesterday and had gotten past a major brainblock only to have a different but similar one fall into it's place today. I've also been struggling lately with being afraid my entire Snow White retelling sucks even though I personally like it and know full well that any issues can be edited into submission. Why must our brains torture us???

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, go us!

*stares at her manuscript in Scrivener*

I swear I'm not intentionally trying to increase the body count of my story. I just keep writing my characters into corners where adding to it is inevitable. (In this case, a handful of anonymous mercy kills.)

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I'm trying to get my lazy, socially-anxious ass together to call a possible place of employment to ask if I can come see the place, possibly talk about a brief unpaid internship (which the jobcentre assures me will make my resume look better... somehow). But that requires calling and the phone is scary.

ETA: Called them, no answer or answering machine, which I might have preferred anyway. Bah.

That sounds lovely and reminds me of my own project...
You know that story I wrote for you last Sisyphus? The less than adequately finished one with the bear and the unicorn blood donor and the mediocrely explained magic-system and all the anthropomorphic animals??? There's elephantine space aliens in the sequel now (literally aliens from space and stuff, on a magical living ship that turned into some mountains), and they are real heckin' coolio. There's even a fastidious mastodon. :O I kinda wanna give said mastodon her own book... >.> Her name is "Safjre" :D
Coool... The world (of fiction) needs more elephants! Safjre sounds cool, too! Coolness!

If we're all getting in line, do we get drinks too?
Yes. Stevebot, bring the drinks. Reminds me, does anyone know anything about, gosh, an awful lot of regulars we haven't seen lately?

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina.

Today is my last day of leave - back to the day job on Monday. It's the time when I always get busy, being halfway through an even-numbered month, and a certain deadline in sight and a backlog of review discs. Still, a day at home today.

I have completed another short story, so that's three so far this year, with three more to complete in first draft at least if I'm going to achieve my new year resolution. I have two uncompleted ones, so it still looks doable. Sisyphus might be my sixth if I complete the first draft on or before New Year's Eve - that's what happened in 2013...

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
One of my least favorite parts about writing - coming up with a tagline.

Here's my blurb (suggestions would be welcome to improve!). My taglines so far are pretty lame. Any suggestions? The story is in two POVs, Maelan and Orlagh, but Maelan is the main driver of the story.

Could you choose between life and happiness?
Independence, happiness, and duty can be rivals.

In 12[SUP]th[/SUP] century Ireland, all Maelan wants is to do his duty to his Chief and maintain his family’s good name. However, his granddaughter, Orlagh, is hell bent on ruining everything.
When an itinerant bard comes to town, it’s all he can do to stop the two from running off together. However, his strictures result in her almost drowning, a fate that ripped his dearest wife from him many years before.
In the end, he must make several bargains with the Fae and choose between her happiness and her life.

Whew, I'm incredibly late to this, but here's my take anyhow:

(1) Hell-bent is hyphenated.
(2) My first thought was "Can a grandfather set aside his honor?" but my vote's for "An impossible choice and a daring rescue."
(3) Perhaps this?
All Maelan wants is to do his duty to his Chief and maintain his family’s good name. His granddaughter Orlagh, however, seems hell-bent on ruining everything.
When Orlagh falls in love with an itinerant bard, Maelan must rule with an iron fist to keep her from running away.
He fails.
The resulting quest leads to several bargains with the Fae and a choice that will change their lives forever.

Eilyfe

Registered
Reaction score
Question here: What is Sisyphus? I've read that several times now. I know Camus' version, but I assume it's a specific event in this case.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
If we're all getting in line, do we get drinks too?

CONGA LINE!!!!

giphy.gif

dang it. *adds that to long list of words she mispronounces*

but...but I likes me some Drizzt...

Also, let me know what you find regarding the Norse elves. I shall be researching that as well. Soon. *eyes a certain draft* Soon-ish.

I likes me some Drizzt, too.... and if you want to see Norse elves, start with Tolkein - that's where he got most of his inspiration for his elves.

Yes. Stevebot, bring the drinks. Reminds me, does anyone know anything about, gosh, an awful lot of regulars we haven't seen lately?

Maybe Elizabeth got hungry? I don't know... Cobramisft? I haven't seen him in ages... :(

No wording this week for me. But I knew that would happen. Well, I did do 2500 words on Monday, but then busy week kicked in. 12 hour days. I gave myself permission this week not to write each day because of that. It's made me a happier person overall, and much less guilt. Next week I can start up again, as it's slightly less-busy-week.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Question here: What is Sisyphus? I've read that several times now. I know Camus' version, but I assume it's a specific event in this case.

It's a short story swap that starts on Christmas. There's a thread from last year out in the main SF/F forum. The beginning has all the general rules (from last year) plus everyone's prompts. Cobra then works some magic and sends each person a prompt based on what they are interested in writing. There's also a guessing game once the stories are finished and traded back to the giftee so only the author and Cobra and the giftee know who wrote any one story.

It's loads of fun. Sometimes folks are over achievers and write stories for the group too. *cough* sparkly emo vampire goat *cough*

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I was wondering about some of them, too. Junely, Cobra, et al.

Morning, Cantina. I'm starting to wonder if I might have a little stomach bug because I've felt queasy the past two nights. While I didn't feel queasy during the day yesterday, I didn't feel 100%, and now, this morning, I do feel a teensy tad queasy off and on. At the same time, with the weather shifting so much, my sinuses are unhappy, and I also ate a (small) piece of state fair fudge the past couple nights, so it's just hard to pinpoint the cause. Hopefully it will pass soon because queasy is one of my least favorite ways to feel. :/ Guess I'll go try to write.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
GD, That conga line is both incomplete and giving me a headache. I demand more doctors, I demand ALL tha doctors!! :p (Also Silence.... <.<)

I'm trying to get my lazy, socially-anxious ass together to call a possible place of employment to ask if I can come see the place, possibly talk about a brief unpaid internship (which the jobcentre assures me will make my resume look better... somehow). But that requires calling and the phone is scary.

ETA: Called them, no answer or answering machine, which I might have preferred anyway. Bah.

Coool... The world (of fiction) needs more elephants! Safjre sounds cool, too! Coolness!

I do hear a lot of huff and puff about internships without pay. But good on you for making the phonecall REL! :D You rock, and I think you're the bestest and that any fear you have is also a fear you can conquer because you're so dang cool and capable. My faith is not misplaced, you CAN succeed, damnit, you just gotta keep trying, keep keep keep trying! Phone them again at a different time of day and see if that works. Phone other places. EMAIL other places! Try try try, beat that dead horse until your necromantic wand wakes it up again! :eek: :evil :eek:

And yeah, Safjre is supe's mega cool because she's also a train operator.... :eek: In a space ship. That's alive. And angry. :D

---

Maybe people with courage and ulterior check-up methods should contact our old compatriots and see if they're doing swankily or not?

Yay, go us!

*stares at her manuscript in Scrivener*

I swear I'm not intentionally trying to increase the body count of my story. I just keep writing my characters into corners where adding to it is inevitable. (In this case, a handful of anonymous mercy kills.)

I had a similar problem once upon a time. Then I actively began limiting the number of characters and murders I could fit into a story, and looking for different solutions/punishments than death for my characters. It seemed to help, and tightened my books up a bit. They all need a hecka ton more work, but they're also easier to follow with fewer names and bloodied faces.

TO PUBLICATION!!!! :hi:

*falls in line* Yeah, I thought I was doing well yesterday and had gotten past a major brainblock only to have a different but similar one fall into it's place today. I've also been struggling lately with being afraid my entire Snow White retelling sucks even though I personally like it and know full well that any issues can be edited into submission. Why must our brains torture us???

MY DUDE, Effbubbles, we musta traded brianblocks then, cause I just beat a whole dang chapter into the Manuscript where it needed to be; saying what it needed to say and filling holes it needed to fill. I don't mind sending the muse back your way iff'n ya want it still... :)

I don't think it's your (read: our) place to decide if a story we make is truly good or not. I mean, don't like, put out something you aren't proud of, but also, like, don't think yours is the final say on whether the story is good, because it's not (Your say, I mean). The final word on every book ever belongs to the last and latest reader of said book(s). All that really matters is finishing something that other people can choose to love or not love on THEIR own merits. Not yours. Once the book is done, your part is complete, and your new job is showing it to people so they can love it, hate it, or leave it... and also making more books. :p

Whew, I'm incredibly late to this, but here's my take anyhow:

(1) Hell-bent is hyphenated.
(2) My first thought was "Can a grandfather set aside his honor?" but my vote's for "An impossible choice and a daring rescue."
(3) Perhaps this?
All Maelan wants is to do his duty to his Chief and maintain his family’s good name. His granddaughter Orlagh, however, seems hell-bent on ruining everything.
When Orlagh falls in love with an itinerant bard, Maelan must rule with an iron fist to keep her from running away.
He fails.
The resulting quest leads to several bargains with the Fae and a choice that will change their lives forever.

GD!!!! Pay attention to this beautifully named individual's words, for they are pertinent and potentially helpful! :D

Aggy got the gist of it good, but there's also this: The Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap (SS-SFF-SS) is a time of mad writing and right madness, where participants share they're stories with giftees and then everyone tries to guess who gave what to whom and it's all mega fun and delightful and I lurves it and you should consider participating if it piques your interest and life does not get in the way. :)

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar problem once upon a time. Then I actively began limiting the number of characters and murders I could fit into a story, and looking for different solutions/punishments than death for my characters. It seemed to help, and tightened my books up a bit. They all need a hecka ton more work, but they're also easier to follow with fewer names and bloodied faces.

Eh, I don't think it's hurting the story (the main protagonists are still safe). And this is the part of the story where the Shit Officially Hits the Fan and transitions into the final acts. It also ties in a bit with one of the heroine's conflicts: who, realistically, can she hope to save? There is no Deus to Ex Machina here.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
MY DUDE, Effbubbles, we musta traded brianblocks then, cause I just beat a whole dang chapter into the Manuscript where it needed to be; saying what it needed to say and filling holes it needed to fill. I don't mind sending the muse back your way iff'n ya want it still... :)

I don't think it's your (read: our) place to decide if a story we make is truly good or not. I mean, don't like, put out something you aren't proud of, but also, like, don't think yours is the final say on whether the story is good, because it's not (Your say, I mean). The final word on every book ever belongs to the last and latest reader of said book(s). All that really matters is finishing something that other people can choose to love or not love on THEIR own merits. Not yours. Once the book is done, your part is complete, and your new job is showing it to people so they can love it, hate it, or leave it... and also making more books. :p

Thanks, Dammy.
:Hug2: You're right, as usual. Also, thanks for sending the muse back. The words seem to be flowing again. :D

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dammy. [/SIZE]:Hug2: You're right, as usual. Also, thanks for sending the muse back. The words seem to be flowing again. :D

Oh, no no no nononononononononono! Effby, you mustn't say "as usual"! :eek: It's not "as usual" it's never "as usual" when I'm right, it's a rare commodity that must be cherished and harnessed for all it's worth. It must be recorded for posterity and post modernity-archaeologists of the future to marvel at and write papers about: "Dammy, King/Queen of the World, was incorrect about things in his youth and thus grew many wises of wisdom to rule us all benevolently and with a tungsten fist. Look at all our great and mighty literary leader learned from his great and mighty speeches of greatness and might!"

So in conclusion, you mustn't say "as usual" you really mustn't! Not yet, anyway. ;)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I got contact lenses! So right not my eyes are all irritated and I'm not seeing as well as usual. :) Now I can do a Halloween costume without glasses, maybe wear my steampunk goggles to ren fest, too. I might wear them a lot more than that, but those are the things that seriously made me wish for contacts (or, you know, good vision, but that I can't have without assistive devices).

Reminds me, does anyone know anything about, gosh, an awful lot of regulars we haven't seen lately?

Uh... Cobra is definitely not in the basement dungeon. *kicks door shut and latches it* Haven't seen him, nope.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, we have a basement dungeon?

...the nasty medieval kind or the ...well... :whip: ...fun kind? :evil

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I don't know about Junely, but Cobra is definitely not alive in the dungeon. I mean, he's not in the dungeon. And we don't have a dungeon. And Cobra isn't in it.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I came back from Guillermo Del Toro exhibit at the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto. I never, in a million years, thought I would walk into a gallery and find an entire wall of comics ranging from EC Horror to Hellboy, nor find myself standing in front of the Jager "Drive Suit" that Mako Mori wore in Pacific Rim. And yet, now I have...