The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
Evening Cantina. Today was a get new pants to replace ripped ones and hot cocoa kind of day...and we're out of hot cocoa. *gets a hug from the basket and sinks into the warm smibble pile*

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I got Xmas cards to write. I don't want to. It's boring. :e2paperba Then I got to post them, which means going Outside in The Cold. It's definitely a cocoa kind of day :Thumbs: not an Outside kind of day.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Blagh, I'm in a bad place right now. I started off today okay, then just slowly sank down with the sun. Winter would be very kind if it would just not happen.

Ah, I know that feeling. Bonus points when it's lore-building stuff for the setting of a story when the stuff you're coming up with has absolutely nothing to do with the plot and nowhere to fit in. (Even more bonus points for when it's lore-building stories other than what you should be focusing on!)
Going into the long history and many traditions of some holiday that's barely mentioned in passing, yup.

The first book in The Queen's Thief series, The Thief, is first-person - and also in my top three "Book Ones" of all time.
Very good book that one. Re-read it not too long ago, though.

I just watched the pilot and ya, kind of painful (tho most pilots are). I'm brainstorming some similar gene ideas (research, ya know. ;)) How about the book? I might read it, but I've heard it's quite different than the TV show, and some fans are adamant that the TV show is better...
I didn't even know there was a book. I made it through the first two or three episodes, holding onto hope from the glimmers of potential I saw, but they just... either took their time meeting that potential or couldn't be arsed, I don't know. And the stupid kids thinking anarchy is a good idea when they're actually few enough people they could totally do a true democracy.

It does, indeed!
Thank you.

For anyone who's interested, my other two are Dealing With Dragons and So You Want to Be a Wizard.
Dealing With Dragons is the one with the princess who goes off to be "kidnapped" by a dragon on the advice of a talking frog, yeah?

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
*stares out the window*

Well. It's officially winter in Canada. It looks like Caradhras out there.

*sips tea*

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score

* remote views the next page twinks in going to write *

* farts *

*remote views next chapter E F B is going to write*

*licks all four legpits*

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Perhaps if you add an accordion attack into the mix?

I actually have an accordion and know how to play it! Kind of. I can play one song. At least I could, last time I had it out. Several years ago. Okay, I probably couldn't play it right now if my life depended on it, which it might have if I'd been viciously attacked by accordions.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Well, yesterday sucked in a boring way - a 4 hour UBS presentation I didn't realize I needed to be at happened. Yay. I survived. Then I finished grammar-editing the second sixth of my book. I spoke at the Waverly Library on historical fiction methods - only 3 people, but we made it a fun discussion. Tonight my husband teaches me to bake ginger scones. Tomorrow I have more worthless meetings, but some can be done via phone while I'm at my desk doing real work.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, I have a rather varied taste in things I'll watch, and sometimes when I'm binging, angsty YA appeases me. I've done runs through the Vampire Diaries and the Originals as proof points. I admittedly snort and roll my eyes a lot, yet I continue watching because it fascinates me. :Shrug:
Not judging. :) We all have different tastes. I do watch and especially read YA, I just prefer the ones that are on the less angsty side

*stares out the window*

*sips tea*
If you start hearing a fell voice on the air, run!

Morning, Cantina. Today the hunt for a Christmas tree shall begin! Aaaand, of course the weather decided that the temps would drop below 30 just for the occasion. *puts on multiple layers of clothes* I shall edit until time to go.

ION: Why is it that, on the rare occasion my aunt unexpectedly calls in the middle of the day, she always thinks I sound funny? The box with her Christmas gifts to us arrived yesterday and she called to make sure it got here okay. I was the one to answer the phone because my dad was taking a nap. I thought I sounded perky and happy, but when she e-mails my dad later to talk about something else, she mentioned she'd called and said she didn't stay on the phone long because she thought I sounded sleepy or something.

I'm like,:Huh::Huh::Huh:. It was noon. Why would I sound sleepy, especially when I thought I sounded the exact opposite??? If I sounded anything other than normal, I probably sounded surprised because about 95% of the time that side of the family only initiates phone calls when something bad has happened, and I'm like, "Oh great, what's happened now? Oh, you're just calling about the package that just arrived. Okay. *is relieved*". I honestly think that side of the family have trouble interpreting tone of voice for some reason, because my dad has sometimes had some pretty weird interpretations of how people sound, too. Also, that entire side of the family, my dad, aunt, uncle, and grammy tend not to be in the best of health and are constantly napping during the day, so maybe that's why my aunt thought I sounded sleepy, nevermind that I'm a healthy 25 year old who doesn't nap during the day EVER. Oh well. What is family for if not to make you really confused? :p

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaand now I have the Saturday Night Live cowbell skit stuck in my head. Only I'm substituting accordions. -.-

I want more accordion

*stares out the window*

*sips tea*

:cry: I got some nice pictures of the snow, at least... here's my fav

tumblr_inline_p0tge6QlZ31qdn10r_500.jpg

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
I hate the fact that it's always so warm and sunny here. Here. y'all can take it. All of it.

I want some COLD. Some SNOW.

Oooooh, that picture is delightfully freezing!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I haz a Christmas tree! And I think my mom and I impressed the old guy running the place with our tree-cutting prowess. He was coming to check if we needed help, but we already had it down and were hauling it up the hill. He looked at us and went, "Wow, y'all did good."

*flexes muscles*

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
thank you! I've been getting into photography and photo editing lately :)

I'd love to trade weather. it gets to -25 c (-13 f) in the winter here

EFB: you're badass!

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I haz a Christmas tree!
Me too! It's in a box in the attic tho :roll:And I got some new Xmas decorations to go with it... still sitting in the shopping bag ;) Might Must start decorating one of these days...

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
The lilyWife and I usually do Christmas-ness at a parental place, so that's where the tree will be.

Then again, we could probably make a tree out of mistletoe... :greenie

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
:cry: I got some nice pictures of the snow, at least... here's my fav

tumblr_inline_p0tge6QlZ31qdn10r_500.jpg

Man, there are churches every around the GTA. That one looks familiar too. It's both comforting and a little creepy that you can't throw a rock without hitting a church in some of those neighborhoods. Even in my city, there's a ton within just a few blocks, with a truly scary looking, Silent Hill-esque cathedral overlooking a hill. I keep expecting an Elder God to manifest out of that one.

But yeah, winter in Canada. Or at least Great Lakes Canada. Back in my ancestral home of Alberta, apparently it's been that way for a while, which is no real surprise.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I'd love to trade weather. it gets to -25 c (-13 f) in the winter here

M'yeah. It sometimes dips down to -40 f here for about a week in mid January. If we're lucky, it's -20. And that's before windchill.

I was planning to start my vacation up at the cabin next weekend and then come back down for Xmas at inlaws. It appears I may want to rethink that plan, seeing as how it will be -3 up there. Methinks I will go to the cabin...later. When it's a teeeeeensy bit warmer again so I only mildly have to freeze my butt off while waiting for the fire to heat the place. Also, I am NOT using the outhouse in subzero temperatures. Not. Did that last year, yelled a lot of swear words into the void and fell on my butt trying to run too fast back to the cabin after dark. Good times.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
EFB: you're badass!
Aw shucks.
tumblr_n3d3ew_EYZk1tq4of6o1_500_zpsj2saazly.gif

I was planning to start my vacation up at the cabin next weekend and then come back down for Xmas at inlaws. It appears I may want to rethink that plan, seeing as how it will be -3 up there. Methinks I will go to the cabin...later. When it's a teeeeeensy bit warmer again so I only mildly have to freeze my butt off while waiting for the fire to heat the place. Also, I am NOT using the outhouse in subzero temperatures. Not. Did that last year, yelled a lot of swear words into the void and fell on my butt trying to run too fast back to the cabin after dark. Good times.
Yeeeeeaaah I think I'd postpone that, too.

Re outdoor temps, it doesn't get in the negative numbers here but I did have to layer up quite a bit to look for the Christmas tree yesterday because it was super windy and never got above 30. All things considered I don't mind it being super cold for a long while from the standpoint that hard freezes help "get the bugs right" as we say around here. Warmer winters result in more bugs, particularly the problematic and just plain annoying ones in the spring, whereas colder winters kill off more of them and help balance their numbers out a bit better.

Morning Cantina. So, yesterday I did Googlefoo and found Star Wars spoilers (no worries, I'm not going to share what I found here, so feel free to read on) so my family could decide whether or not it would be worth seeing in theaters for us. We just couldn't tell from the trailers if it would be depressing or too dark or whatever (example, we wouldn't have wanted to see Revenge of the Sith in theaters because that was REALLY depressing and we go to the theater to have fun, not be bummed out) not to mention how the director kept pushing it as "shocking"and what the heck does that even mean? Also, my mom was determined that if a certain thing happened to a certain character she would be mad and not want to see it in theaters, so we had to find out. And we did. And we're going to go see it when the crowds have calmed down a bit because it sounds like we'll enjoy it, not be depressed or angered by it. And now I feel like I can finally get excited about it, which is also fun. *thumbs up*

Breakfast will now be eaten, words will be written and edited and then maybe crafting before tree decoration this evening.

Last edited: