The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Ewww. You can have my coconut coffee. I don't like coconut. The only acceptable form of coconut is covered in chocolate and caramel, like on a Girl Scout cookie. Even then it's iffy.

The same thing with mint... gives me a bitter aftertaste. Only acceptable form is covered in chocolate... again, like on a Girl Scout cookie :)

It makes buying toothpaste difficult. :(

I have a giveaway set up, and a contest my book is in needs votes.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, now I want a coconut hot chocolate.
Hmm...I'd be willing to try that, assuming it didn't make it sickening sweet or something.

Ewww. You can have my coconut coffee. I don't like coconut. The only acceptable form of coconut is covered in chocolate and caramel, like on a Girl Scout cookie. Even then it's iffy.

The same thing with mint... gives me a bitter aftertaste. Only acceptable form is covered in chocolate... again, like on a Girl Scout cookie :)

It makes buying toothpaste difficult. :(
I don't like the texture of coconut, even covered in chocolate. Literally the only coconut thing I've ever eaten and liked were a Brazilian brand of Oreo-like cookies that my second grade teacher (who was originally from Brazil) brought in for the class to try. The cream between the chocolate cookies was coconut cream, and I mean actual smooth cream without coconut bits in it, but that still tasted like coconut. Those were REALLY good. That's why I think I might be willing to try coconut hot chocolate if it was a thing, assuming it just had the coconut flavor and not the bits I don't like.

As for mint, I spent much of my childhood hating mint. I used to only use cinnamon flavored toothpaste because of it, but then I developed a topical allergy to it that makes my lips break out (which, turns out, is not uncommon in long-term cinnamon-flavored toothpaste users, so I don't recommend trying it) and had no choice but to stop using it. That's when I started using mint toothpaste and eventually got to where I at least like peppermint. Spearmint is still blech though, since I find it to be more bitter.

PixelOwl

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm the new dork around here. Does anyone mind if I have a cup of tea?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm the new dork around here. Does anyone mind if I have a cup of tea?

:welcome: PixelOwl!

*slides some tea your way*

coffee-donut.gif

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
The only way I can eat coconut is if it's deep fried and covering shrimp.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Hmm...I'd be willing to try that, assuming it didn't make it sickening sweet or something.

I don't like the texture of coconut, even covered in chocolate. Literally the only coconut thing I've ever eaten and liked were a Brazilian brand of Oreo-like cookies that my second grade teacher (who was originally from Brazil) brought in for the class to try. The cream between the chocolate cookies was coconut cream, and I mean actual smooth cream without coconut bits in it, but that still tasted like coconut. Those were REALLY good. That's why I think I might be willing to try coconut hot chocolate if it was a thing, assuming it just had the coconut flavor and not the bits I don't like.

As for mint, I spent much of my childhood hating mint. I used to only use cinnamon flavored toothpaste because of it, but then I developed a topical allergy to it that makes my lips break out (which, turns out, is not uncommon in long-term cinnamon-flavored toothpaste users, so I don't recommend trying it) and had no choice but to stop using it. That's when I started using mint toothpaste and eventually got to where I at least like peppermint. Spearmint is still blech though, since I find it to be more bitter.

Tom's of Maine has a truly non-mint all-natural Strawberry flavor toothpaste. I used it for a while before my dentist told me I had very sensitive teeth and need Rx toothpaste. Alas, it's mint.

NEWBIEE!!!! Welcome! Steve-bot, bring him a drink!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Unfortunately, Harbinger of Darkness isn't gathering the traction in sales that Terra Incognito or For a Few Gold Pieces More have.

Then again, Harbinger doesn't have the greendragon or Dammy seal of approval like the other two.

Hmmm .....:e2shrug:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score

:hears the words "newbie" and "tea" in close proximity. Springs out from some back corner with the clockwork tea card ticking behind her:

What'dyaa like? I've got English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Fujian black, Yunan gold, Tarjeeling first flush, Taiwanese oolong, Ti Kuan Yin, matcha, sencha, kukicha, genmai-cha, masala chai, ginger, peppermint, cinnamon citrus...

Oh, and if you want a personalized mug you'll want to ask behind the bar. Careful, the paperwork stack needed to get one counts as a deadly weapon in 15 states.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Still among the living. Cold is losing its grip on me thank goodness.

Voted GD. (Though not sure how the validation works because do they really know what FB acct is attached to what vote?)

Long to-do list today so will be scarce on most of the social media fronts.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Q: Anyone here use an English usage guide?

Q2: Essential reference books / guides?

Answering for myself
Q1: not at the moment, that's why I'm asking
Q2: Penguin dictionary & encyclopedia, plus thesaurus for emotions and negative traits. I also own the Pirate Primer - because

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score

Answering for myself
Q2: Penguin dictionary & encyclopedia, plus thesaurus for emotions and negative traits. I also own the Pirate Primer - because

A lot of people are going to tell you The Elements of Style for both questions and I'm apt to agree. If you're writing for an institution that demands a particular formatting guide (MLA, AP, Chicago Manual of Style, etc.) pick up a copy of that too.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Answering for myself

If you're in the UK, I'd suggest The Oxford or The Cambridge Guide To English.

I would not suggest the Elements of Style to someone using British English, or to anyone who isn't writing academic papers.

PixelOwl

Registered
Reaction score
*slides some tea your way*

Aw, thank you! Nice and warm.

:hears the words "newbie" and "tea" in close proximity. Springs out from some back corner with the clockwork tea card ticking behind her:

What'dyaa like? I've got English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Fujian black, Yunan gold, Tarjeeling first flush, Taiwanese oolong, Ti Kuan Yin, matcha, sencha, kukicha, genmai-cha, masala chai, ginger, peppermint, cinnamon citrus...

Oh, and if you want a personalized mug you'll want to ask behind the bar. Careful, the paperwork stack needed to get one counts as a deadly weapon in 15 states.

Oh, sounds like I've met my match. I generally prefer most of the green teas but Irish Breakfast and Vanilla-scented Oolongs are secret favourites of mine, too. Chai's a familiar friend, as well. And who doesn't love a good rooibos late at night? Mmm...

Sounds dangerous. I'll do it. Can't go drinking tea in just any old cup, can I?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
However, PixieOwl, if a kraken hands you the paperwork, you might want to wait a bit.

I'm not saying Elizabeth is over-enthusiastic, but we lose more newbies that way.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I would not suggest the Elements of Style to someone using British English, or to anyone who isn't writing academic papers.

The Elements of Style is like the three page safety instructions that come with a new pair of slippers. You can't say they're wrong, because yes you ought to keep your new slippers away from open flame and not wear them while driving, etc., and if you've never worn any sort of footwear or you're the sort of person likely to hurt yourself with your new slippers w/o proper warnings you should probably heed them as perfectly good & valid instructions. But for most people, you just put on the slippers and go walkin' and trust the road to tell you when you're stepping funny, and trust yourself when you want to dance, skip, or just meander on the way.

Which is not to in any way denigrate the value of English reference texts, only to poke fun specifically at the "get off my lawn" authoritarian minimalism of the Elements of Style :)

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
If you're in the UK, I'd suggest The Oxford or The Cambridge Guide To English.

Thank you. I actually tried to read the Elements of Style a few years ago (I'm in the UK). I won't be trying to finish it in a hurry.

Keep 'em coming folks.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Blargh. Why do we not already live the Star Trek world of basic income and standard food/shelter/clothing? This whole money thing is really just a flaming pile of poo.

And I have a headache but no time to take a nap.

Aggy, cranky

PixelOwl

Registered
Reaction score
However, PixieOwl, if a kraken hands you the paperwork, you might want to wait a bit.

I'm not saying Elizabeth is over-enthusiastic, but we lose more newbies that way.

Haha, I'll keep that in mind. I try to avoid krakens on a regular basis anyways, so it shouldn't change up my daily routine too much.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Heya, welcome!

On my end, I'm having a depressed day. Not for any reason in particular - more like what Aggy's complaining about. That is, why isn't the world a better place already?! General "Blah" stuff, basically. But the depression kicks in without heed for logic anyway.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Haha, I'll keep that in mind. I try to avoid krakens on a regular basis anyways, so it shouldn't change up my daily routine too much.
Hi newbie! :hi:

I just ate my first Tim Tam. It was awesome. And addictive. Someone should probably hide the bag from me.