• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chicago Review Press

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I was looking at the submission guidelines for the Chicago Review Press for my novel. This is the first time I'm looking into this versus seeking an agent and I don't want to make a terrible mistake. It says it's "a good idea" to email a brief query to their acquisition editors before sending a proposal. But then down farther it has a list of what to send for a fiction proposal. So would the query letter for a publisher basically be the same as the query letter I've sent to agents? And if I don't hear back in a couple months then I can assume I shouldn't bother sending the proposal? I guess it's just to save them time from proposals they aren't interested in, but then why list the guidelines right there? This is all new to me.

Thanks!
Tarley

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
From what you've said, I don't think they want the whole proposal, just the query. (Lots of publishers list all their submission guidelines on a single web page.)

I don't know whether (and how) your query letter should differ. Let's hope another writer comes in here soon. :)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
From looking at the guidelines on their website I'd say send just your query letter to start with. I assume this is the same sort of thing you'd send to an agent.

Out of interest, is there any reason you're subbing direct to this press? They look like they focus much more on non-fiction from what I can see.

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
Out of interest, is there any reason you're subbing direct to this press? They look like they focus much more on non-fiction from what I can see.

I should have said Academy Chicago which is their division that publishes fiction.