Good News/Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
The GOOD NEWS is that in fleshing out the relationship between my heroine (Georgianna) and her BFF (Amelia)– which is a GOOD thing – my brain took off again on a tangent outlining a second book starring Amelia. Now, I had tossed this idea around a couple months ago so she’d stop horning in on the action in the WIP, with the possible execution of said idea at some future time when I had actually finished the first book. But nope. Amelia has elbowed her way in and short of breaking her fingers to force her to let go, she has a death grip on my imagination.

But that’s another GOOD thing, isn’t it? If I compose Amelia’s major plot points in her book, I can start laying the foundation for them in Georgianna’s book. I know I’ve read series books where, in book two, the MC seems to have suddenly crawled out of the woodwork. “I’m sorry – who are you again?” I ask, frantically paging through book one. “Oh, yeah! You’re the heroine’s best friend from boarding school who shows up at her wedding for two paragraphs and then falls off a cliff into the ocean and everyone assumes you’ve died, but I guess you didn’t, ‘cause HERE YOU ARE! With your own book, no less!” I don’t want that to happen on this gig.

I should be happy I’ve caught this in time. The Amelia/Sinclair relationship will be explained by and expanded upon the roles they play in the Georgianna/Jack drama. Hopefully, everything will be neat and seamless.

But the BAD NEWS is, I’m feeling overwhelmed and frustrated that once again, my disorderly mind has wandered away from my current WIP. Worse yet, it seems to have an excellent excuse I’m finding difficult to dispute.

Eeeshh. I have a headache you wouldn’t believe. I’m nursing the ugly worry that maybe I’m only good at writing elaborate synopses and will never get down to the nitty-gritty of completing a real novel.

What am I afraid of? What am I avoiding? Maybe…discovering I’m not good enough? And my poor little brain is trying to distract me from this discovery? Hmmmm…!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I hear you regarding approach/avoidance about simply (it's never simple) sitting down and telling the story. I'm wrestling with my own tale that simply will not come together right now, and as usual at such times I have 43 different, unrelated ideas for new and enticing romantic stories.

Aaargh!

My crit partner says the only reason this isn't working for me is that I don't know my characters well enough to let them run with the story. My general solution to times such as these goes something like this: put your characters in a scene. It doesn't matter what, or where in the book the scene might eventually end up. For example, one time my male characters were supposed to be solving the male MC's romantic problem. Instead, they sat out on the veranda in the moonlight and ended up getting drunk. Was it the scene I intended to write? No. But it did point me in the right direction, and although I didn't use the scene where it was supposed to fall in the book, it got me back telling the story again.

And telling the story is paramount.

Sit.

Write.

Don't worry at this juncture where it will go or what it will be. Certainly do not worry about whether you are "good enough." It's your tale and only you can tell it in exactly that way.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Deb, thank you for your practical help and encouragement! You certainly have the street cred - a series of three books. That takes hard core focus, which I lack and respect in others. Those other enticing ideas are like mosquitoes flying around your head while you're trying to take a nap! Grrrr!

And I read a sample of Seasons in the Mist. The opening was great - you got a lot of information and characterization in without "telling" and the story moved from one point to another seamlessly, like stepping stones. This is what I'm worried that I can't do. I need to take a closer look. I've been reading too much escapist junk lately, and need to read something that's been written with a sure hand to get a sense of rhythm and pacing. I think you do that so well!

I do really want to get this story out there, whether it "makes it" or not. It's something I feel I need to accomplish and I don't want a lack of discipline or niggling fears keep me from it.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, avoidance is a dear friend of mine. It sounds like you have a lot of ideas swimming around your head, which is never a bad thing! If it allows you to seed your next book into your current one, all the better. If you can form that connection and recognition with readers early on, they'll be clamoring for more from your characters/world. However, I understand your frustration. You can't pitch/publish the second book until you finish the first--unless the second book could be reworked as the first book. It doesn't sound like you're writing a direct sequel, but rather a book that exists within the same universe. It's something to think about. (Or obsess about... Sorry.)

Lately, I've been having difficulty focusing, too. The only thing that really works for me besides organization and brute force is music. If I can tie a song or playlist to a story, then it's a lot easier for me to slip back into that head-space.

Do NOT worry about being "good enough" at this point in the process. Most of my first drafts are dog poop. For me, editing is where the alchemy happens, turning that big stinking pile of yuck into something coherent and, dare I say, pleasing to the senses.

Take your enthusiasm and run with it. Just get the story down. Heck, get BOTH stories down. Plenty of writers work on more than one project at a time. Good luck. :)

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
StoryofWoe, thanks for the encouragement! I tried to take the weekend off from both books to give my brain a chance to cool down, but it kept clattering at me! Luckily, I can store a cache of ideas and actual writing in my head to a certain length and for a week or two before I have to "download" it onto paper or lose it forever. So it's still rattling around up there and I'll set it down today.

I think your advice to take it and run with it is sound. It's likely I won't have any peace to work on the first draft of book 1 until I get the bones of book 2 assembled. It also makes sense as yes, it's set in the same universe and its roots are put down in book 1, I've managed to keep my mind off the other unconnected story ideas I have stashed away for a few weeks while I've been attempting book 1 first draft, so I'm making a little progress!

The music tip is a good idea. Maybe some good old 18th century harpsichord stuff will help me just get this all down in whatever messy form it takes.

Funny, I was cleaning out a stack of old papers and came across a piece I wrote for a creative writing class. I hadn't seen it for years! I was pleasantly surprised as it was...not too bad! It reminded me that I wasn't just an idea machine, but could actually put the idea down on paper, in a coherent and polished way. Maybe there's hope for me yet. :)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brain is similar, my mc bff could easily overtake the wip if I let her, but I've firmly placed her in the cafe where she belongs. Maybe on book two she will be more of a starring role. I do tend to get sidetracked since this is my 4th attempt to get a solid story out. But I'm finally over 20,000 words so I'm sticking with it if it kills me, and it might!

Storeyofwoe-do share your editing tips if you have any, just thinking about it makes my heart race!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Can I join you at the "Story won't come together" table? Anyone got a hammer I can use to beat this new story into submission with, so I can write it? ;) Honestly, it's feeling like a toothpaste tube with too small a hole to squeeze the paste out through. Wish I knew where my concentration's gotten off to... Part of it is that it's summer and I'm away from my nice cozy office and not on schedule; part of it is that the RWA national conference is next week and I'm thinking about that. Maybe after the conference my brain will settle down...

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Have a seat, Marissa! We'll all shove over to make room!

Book 2 has run out of steam for the moment, so it's no longer pulling at my pant's leg like one of my pet rabbits looking for a treat. Sounds kind of harmless and cute, doesn't it? Picture a furry barracuda determined to have your leg for dinner and you'll get the drift. Relentless doesn't even begin to cover it.

Anyway, I had moved back to book 1 and was nicely filling in holes when suddenly, I can no longer save anything to my flash drive at work (shhh! don't tell anyone, but I get inspiration at work when there's nothing else going on, so I work on my book!). Some new clamp down on people taking work stuff home. Which is now totally thwarting me as I'm terrified to send my writing to myself via email. I have to find some way to work around this. Aggghhhhhh!

Dang. It's always something.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh well now that I'm back home to the noises of the neighborhood there goes my writing....I could cry!
Me at camp. Up have coffee and breakfast with the family and then the family disappeared outside and I was left with a view of the lake the sound of birds and quiet place to write and I did write....and now it's noisy and I'm all fuddled up and this morning was a complete wash :( I'm screaming inside!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, Jan! You're having those old back to reality blues! I'm hoping things will smooth out for you soon as you readjust to your daily life. I know that my dream has been 6 weeks in a cabin on a Lake Champlain or a beach house on the Cape with some books and a laptop and all the freedom and peace I need to work. I envy you that you had 1/3 of my dream.

You'll get back in the groove. Welcome home! :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Here's a thought from a multi-published (and extremely whackjob, which is why I love her) RWA chapter-mate:

"Find out the one thing in life s/he would never EVER do -- then give him/her a reason to do it. And the reason has to do with the love story."

I have rescued more than one stalled story by getting deep enough into my character to find out the one thing he would NEVER do -- in the case of the first book, he would never, EVER borrow money from his rich-and-successful older brother, whom he both loves and resents. But then I gave the female MC a reason to need a large, immediate loan...and guess what he did?

'Cause he loves her. Sigh. I'll vouch for this technique. It may not work in every case, but I can bear witness it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.