Share Your Stats

SBDec

Banned
Reaction score
Okay. In my journey to make the Best Book Possible, and have the best business possible, I decided it would be best to get a business loan.

I won't get too deep into the details of that here, because that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is that when you ask for a loan, you need to write a business plan, and when you write a business plan, it's best to use actual numbers to figure out what your profit's going to be.

So. Question.

How do you get real numbers?

By asking for them, of course.

So, after spending a week or so trying to track down people to get stats from, I thought of something. To get my numbers and to avoid people in the future having this problem, I thought "Hey -- what if there was a thread where people could share their stats and figures and stuff, and talk about how it all happened? That'd be fun!"

Personally, I'm looking for run-of-the-mill success stories -- something hearty and meaty, to really base my numbers off of. Not luck of the draw stuff, that no one can explain -- stuff where people can point to the numbers and go "That there? That's when I started my Twitter campaign, where I posted a picture a day for an entire month -- sometimes more -- all related to the book."

So, things that belong in this thread:

• Analytics.
  • Graphs.
  • Screenshots of your spreadsheets, if you have them.
  • Links to public copies of your spreadsheets on Google Docs, if you're so inclined as to upload them.
  • Numbers of visitors, downloads, sales -- anything that indicates a level of success.
  • All this stuff for writing related Blogs, Podcasts, YouTube Channels, Livestreams, Landing Pages, Ads -- anything that has to do with your life as an author.
  • Also, brief rundown of your genre and general information about your books. We're also looking for what's effecting your market, which could include anything from what your ad looked like to what your pitch is -- just be sure to keep it relevant.
  • Clarity! Lots and lots of clarity! If you want to explain something, try finding or making a graph of it, and be clear about what part of the graph you're talking about. Edit in little number tags, if it'll help -- just don't mess up the numbers in the process.
The more in-depth you can get with this, the better. The more you can explain it, the better. We're all here to learn and do better, so try and share as much information as you can think of that might have affected a number.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you have an established fan-base it's a really bad idea to borrow money to get your book published. You're likely to end up with very little return for that investment, so please only borrow money you can afford to lose. If you're hoping to find a contract with a trade publisher you don't need to spend anything on your book, and if you're self publishing you're not likely to recoup that amount, I'm afraid. To give you some context, I used to have access to a huge amount of data on self published titles, and from what I remember most authors sold fewer than 50 copies of their books--both print and digital.

Moving on to your questions, if you want to collect meaningful data you're going to have to make this more targeted, and you're going to have to provide a lot more information. For example, are you looking for statistics about trade publication or self publishing? Fiction or non-fiction? What genre? New author or established one?

Also, you're asking for us to do a lot of work to provide you with the information you're after. You want us to draw graphs? You expect us to "Edit in little number tags"? And all this for someone who joined AW within the last week or so, has just three posts to their name, and hasn't even bothered to look around enough to realise there are lots of threads with much of this information already available?

I appreciate you're keen, and that's not a bad thing. But perhaps don't try to steamroller us into doing stuff for you when we've barely been introduced.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
First, getting a business loan to self-publish is generally speaking a stupid idea for most authors.

Secondly, as someone who has actually successfully been through the process of grants and angel investors and financial partners for a publishing company, neither investors or banks are going to interested in most of the data you think is important.

They want you to show them the money, as in how much you'll make and when you'll make it and how.

Thirdly, small business loans are generally in the low thousands.

If you're spending more than a couple of hundred (if that) on your first self-published book, you're making poor decisions.

Spend money on a cover. Get beta readers. Be a beta reader. Learn to revise. Consider paying an editor, if you're really sure you have the money.

But most self-published books don't sell thousands of copies. Many do; most don't.

Finally, when I suggested you go ahead and start a thread, I didn't realize you were talking about exploiting the community to do your work for you, which you kinda are in this thread.

I thought you were talking about actual sales of actual books.

Your notion of

To get my numbers and to avoid people in the future having this problem, I thought "Hey -- what if there was a thread where people could share their stats and figures and stuff, and talk about how it all happened? That'd be fun!"

Is already present in multiple threads in the Self-Publishing forum. Look for the self-publishing diaries, as well as other threads.

I'm moving this thread there now; the mod there may decide it's redundant and lock it.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Caveat: I *haven't* published, though I hope I'm getting closer.

That said, a lot of what you are asking for, though it would be excellent to have, seems to me beyond the bounds of what most would be willing to share. Numbers are one thing, but actually sharing financial spreadsheets to all and sundry? I can't think of a circumstance in which I'd be comfortable doing that. It's clear that a lot of folks here are very helpful in sharing info of their SP journeys, but to just offer up every financial detail is not realistic. Frankly, I wouldn't even share that info with my extended family, let alone an online community.

I also think that while again, data is good and more data is better, there are still so many variables as to make data comparisons very difficult: the length of your book, quality of its editing and cover, title selection, keywords, genre, the popularity of your topic, whether you have a platform/presence, whether it's your first or tenth book--all of this is going to make a HUGE difference in sales that may not be captured in way that will help you or any other author if you're doing a lot of those things differently.

Personally, I'm looking for run-of-the-mill success stories -- something hearty and meaty, to really base my numbers off of. Not luck of the draw stuff, that no one can explain -- stuff where people can point to the numbers and go "That there? That's when I started my Twitter campaign, where I posted a picture a day for an entire month -- sometimes more -- all related to the book."

I completely understand the attraction of being able to point to a moment and quantify its effect, but if you read more widely about book marketing you will quickly see that most authors are unable to create such a direct cause and effect claim, because effective marketing is not single-prong, but often has multiple strategies running simultaneously. (And if they do, they might be shilling for a service instead of reporting true numbers.)

I think it better, as already suggested, to focus on best practices by reading the diaries and forming your own list of sites, guidelines, and tips to make this successful.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'm not going to draw you graphs (though there are some stats in my diary thread), but the overview is I didn't earn very much and couldn't have paid back a loan. It's not a self-publishing success story. It's a story of realising I'd be better off selling my cover art on fridge magnets, because people liked the covers more than the writing.

If you can get your first book out with the money you have, or by swapping skills for things you can't do yourself, it'd be a lot safer. Even when people have success, it's usually slow.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I would echo the previous comments that borrowing money to start up an author self-publication business rates right up there with walking the streets of Damascus wearing a Jesus Saves tee shirt. That said, what are your major expenses? Publication? Free. Authorship? You're doing the writing. Editing? You can find a decent editor on Fiverr for a couple hundred bucks if you don't have friends that can proof for you. Cover art? I used to do my own but $25 for a bang up cover on the aforementioned site from a Malaysian graphics sweat shop will go far. Promotions and marketing? Get some honest feedback on your finished product before you put money in to that, and there are many things you can do for free.

I consider it to be a serious hobby, so I'm willing to throw a few coins in to production, but again, no more than I would otherwise piss away at a bar or at a strip club. I also write in a genre (action adventure) which, although impacted, is popular.

Most people that make money at this don't make it on their first book, by the way. They usually have several, and they are slowly developing their following as the produce additional books.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I would echo the previous comments that borrowing money to start up an author self-publication business rates right up there with walking the streets of Damascus wearing a Jesus Saves tee shirt. That said, what are your major expenses? Publication? Free. Authorship? You're doing the writing. Editing? You can find a decent editor on Fiverr for a couple hundred bucks if you don't have friends that can proof for you. Cover art? I used to do my own but $25 for a bang up cover on the aforementioned site from a Malaysian graphics sweat shop will go far. Promotions and marketing? Get some honest feedback on your finished product before you put money in to that, and there are many things you can do for free.

I consider it to be a serious hobby, so I'm willing to throw a few coins in to production, but again, no more than I would otherwise piss away at a bar or at a strip club. I also write in a genre (action adventure) which, although impacted, is popular.

Most people that make money at this don't make it on their first book, by the way. They usually have several, and they are slowly developing their following as the produce additional books.

Well, that's an interesting post. Still, I'm sorry that your genre is impacted.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Kboards.com, writer's cafe subforum. Go there and ask, you'll get some numbers. Trust me, they won't be big ones. They will in fact tell it to you straight, which is that most writers' first books don't earn much, if anything, for the first year or longer.

Gonna join the chorus here... do not get that loan. Do sit down and finish a manuscript, then find a professional editor (Again, kboards.com, keep an eye on the adverts. Shouldn't run more than a few hundred for an average-sized book.) Then pay for a pre-made cover that fits your genre, or trade favors with an artist friend.

You don't need to pay a dime to self-publish, and unless you're a marketing genius who's done a ton of research, you won't know where best to spend the money anyway.

Just write. Finish the book before you do anything else. Everything else comes after.

SBDec

Banned
Reaction score
Unless you have an established fan-base it's a really bad idea to borrow money to get your book published. You're likely to end up with very little return for that investment, so please only borrow money you can afford to lose. (..) To give you some context, I used to have access to a huge amount of data on self published titles, and from what I remember most authors sold fewer than 50 copies of their books--both print and digital.

I know the numbers are bleak. I've got like five surveys practically screaming it in my ear that I have to talk about in detail. And if the business was just about fiction alone, maybe I'd also think "this is a stupid idea -- don't do that". But, well, it isn't.

Moving on to your questions, if you want to collect meaningful data you're going to have to make this more targeted, and you're going to have to provide a lot more information. For example, are you looking for statistics about trade publication or self publishing? Fiction or non-fiction? What genre? New author or established one?

Okay -- for me personally? Self-Published. Fiction. Fantasy or more generalized Speculative Fiction. New Author.

I don't really want to dissuade people from posting anything outside of that, though -- I want this to be a resource that people can check out when they have questions, and a place where you can talk about marketing supported by numbers.

Also, you're asking for us to do a lot of work to provide you with the information you're after. You want us to draw graphs? You expect us to "Edit in little number tags"? And all this for someone who joined AW within the last week or so, has just three posts to their name, and hasn't even bothered to look around enough to realise there are lots of threads with much of this information already available?

I appreciate you're keen, and that's not a bad thing. But perhaps don't try to steamroller us into doing stuff for you when we've barely been introduced.

I... didn't really ask for that for myself? I mean, I just want straight numbers -- I can plug them into excel for myself. And I don't really expect people to "draw" the graph -- I just assumed you *had them*, freshly generated on your spreadsheets. The fact that the authors I've talked to don't seem to use spreadsheets or keep track of this stuff and just have it on hand is... frankly abhorrent to me.

Actually, that's really what this whole thing is about -- keeping track of stuff. Proving that things like ads and marketing really work. Improving your marketing so that things like only selling 50 books for your first title just... *doesn't happen*.

(..)neither investors or banks are going to interested in most of the data you think is important.

They want you to show them the money, as in how much you'll make and when you'll make it and how.

Kind of... already knew that? They kind of *have* to care about where their money goes -- their money is their business. I don't know what gave you the impression that I wasn't interested in making money and finding ways to make sure you market so that you get more money for your investment.

Thirdly, small business loans are generally in the low thousands.

If you're spending more than a couple of hundred (if that) on your first self-published book, you're making poor decisions.

Series of books. And, while I'm maybe not the best person to be talking about this, I do remember that one of the surveys said that the people who made the most money at this where those who where willing to put money into it.

Now, does that mean that I'm going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a few books? Not really. But, if it's a piece of a larger idea and business that requires that, am I just going to give up because a bunch of people told me to based on one tiny fraction of what was going on? Not really.

I didn't realize you were talking about exploiting the community to do your work for you, which you kinda are in this thread.

Uh... Asking people to share things... isn't evil...?

Okay, here's a thought: this thread could, possibly help me. More than likely, it won't. That's why it's framed so generally, that's why it asks you to be clear and concise, and that's why I said "let's share!" -- because, honestly, I wanted to share with everyone, as clearly and cleanly as possible. I wanted to go in here in about a month and a half and go "here's my stats, and here's how I got them ye-high, and here's what I'm going to do to get them higher".

I thought you were talking about actual sales of actual books.

Yes, that's part of it. I don't know what gave you the impression that it *wasn't* talking about the actual sale of actual books, or at least the route to get there.

Your notion of (...) Is already present in multiple threads in the Self-Publishing forum. Look for the self-publishing diaries, as well as other threads.

I'm moving this thread there now; the mod there may decide it's redundant and lock it.

Thank you.

Kboards.com, writer's cafe subforum. Go there and ask, you'll get some numbers. Trust me, they won't be big ones. They will in fact tell it to you straight, which is that most writers' first books don't earn much, if anything, for the first year or longer.

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Now, onwards.

So, first off, question: is there any other place on here to talk numbers, or is everyone just... hunky-dory with not looking at them? Because seriously -- I *cannot* have been the first person to have asked this question of people. It is literally impossible. How else do people get sales figures and visitor info if they don't ask about it?

And, you know, get their butt handed to them over the internet by people unwilling to be transparent about anything, or ignored, or given rough ballpark numbers that help but won't convince anyone. People can show their worst sides sometimes, when you try and talk business, which is what I've learned from trying to go it alone -- which is another reason for this thread.

So, I'm planning on doing a whole bunch of stuff in September to help prepare for a book launch in December, assuming there's money coming in. Anyone interested in numbers when that happens?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The funny thing is that, although I am an American author, the last five books I sold were in the Australian market.
Books or titles? But yes, Australia punches above its numbers in terms of reading-love. And we're not at all parochial about it. (Although if wishing made it so.... )

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
So, first off, question: is there any other place on here to talk numbers, or is everyone just... hunky-dory with not looking at them? Because seriously -- I *cannot* have been the first person to have asked this question of people. It is literally impossible. How else do people get sales figures and visitor info if they don't ask about it?

As a couple of other people have suggested, dig through the diaries you see in this forum where individual authors talk about their journeys. I, and many others, use those threads to update sales info every month and to talk about promos we've done and stuff like that. A lot of the numbers you're looking for are already here.

To get you started - here's mine: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300897

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I know the numbers are bleak. I've got like five surveys practically screaming it in my ear that I have to talk about in detail. And if the business was just about fiction alone, maybe I'd also think "this is a stupid idea -- don't do that". But, well, it isn't.

I asked you a question about this in your intro thread but it's probably more pertinent here, so I'll copy it over:

Currently I'm in the middle of writing a video game inspired adventure... Fantasy? Speculative Fiction? Probably Speculative Fiction. Video Game Adventure Speculative Fiction Novel. I'm right at the beginning, so it's going okay, though I do wish I would write it faster.

On the other hand, I'm also trying to create a LLC publishing... thing. It does more than just fiction -- a *lot* more. If you see me around talking business, it's probably in preparation for that.

That's really interesting. I worked for years in computer games publishing before moving to the book trade and haven't seen many such tie-ins because it's often so very difficult to sort out the rights to allow you to do it. How did you manage to acquire the rights, and did you work with an agent to sort out the contracts? Usually the game publishers require a book contract to be in place to do this, but it sounds as though you plan to self-publish: it's very unusual to get rights in place with this aim, so I'm interested to hear more.

You do have the rights to do this for the video game you're working with, don't you? Sorry to bang on about it. It's just that I've seen so many people start on a collaborative or derivative work without realising they'd need to negotiate terms with the copyright holder if they wanted to publish those derivative works, and it's never ended well. This is particularly pertinent for you as you're planning on setting up a limited company, and borrowing money and so on.

I... didn't really ask for that for myself? I mean, I just want straight numbers -- I can plug them into excel for myself. And I don't really expect people to "draw" the graph -- I just assumed you *had them*, freshly generated on your spreadsheets. The fact that the authors I've talked to don't seem to use spreadsheets or keep track of this stuff and just have it on hand is... frankly abhorrent to me.

I've worked for publishers where financial forecasts were scribbled on napkins at the dinner table. I've worked for publishers where contract details were calculated on the backs of envelopes. I've worked for publishers where everything was written down on ruled accounting paper, by hand, and kept in big fireproof folders in a special records room.

You might find it "frankly abhorrent" that people don't always use spreadsheets but those publishers were all very successful and meticulous in their work, and they have excellent reputations. And so long as writers and publishers keep accurate records and pay their royalties and taxes on time there's nothing wrong with it. We don't all have to do things your way.

Actually, that's really what this whole thing is about -- keeping track of stuff. Proving that things like ads and marketing really work. Improving your marketing so that things like only selling 50 books for your first title just... *doesn't happen*.

You can't prove that things like ads and marketing really work, though.

Years ago, when I used to work in sales and marketing, it was clear that what my staff and I were doing did work: but what was important was the whole mix, not one aspect of it or another. It's all cumulative. For example, you can book ads and know they will help bookshops pick your books up if your sales teams have done their job too; you can get great reviews but unless the books are in place on bookshop shelves on the days after the reviews are published, they might not have the impact you thought they would; you can generate a lot of noise on Twitter and FB but if you're not also engaging on a social level with the people you're shouting at, they're just going to ignore you UNLESS they also know the author, or have read previous books, or see a special offer, and so on.

Marketing efforts interact with one another and build upon what went before. You can't usually pinpoint that one event--an ad, a review, an author interview--has caused a blip in sales on its own because without the other things you've done, you probably wouldn't have seen that blip.

When you try to unpick all the things you did, and quantify how effective each one was, you are likely to reach some very odd conclusions. I know, because I've worked at publishers where this has been done. They had big budgets to throw at the questions, and a lot of data to fall back on. And their conclusions were that we don't know exactly how it works, just that it does, and that you can't remove one part of the process and expect the others to continue to be as effective as they were before.

And with all due respect, I hope you don't use ellipses and dashes and asterisks like that when you're writing your books. Having an attack of the Shatners is very distracting to read.

Series of books. And, while I'm maybe not the best person to be talking about this, I do remember that one of the surveys said that the people who made the most money at this where those who where willing to put money into it.

Logic is your friend here. And logic would make you realise that "the more money I put into it the more successful I will be!" is not necessarily true.

I used to review self published books and very few were good enough to make the cut. Many of them had had a lot of money thrown at them but it wasn't enough to make them a success.

Now, does that mean that I'm going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a few books? Not really. But, if it's a piece of a larger idea and business that requires that, am I just going to give up because a bunch of people told me to based on one tiny fraction of what was going on? Not really.

I believe you're working on some sort of interactive crossover project, involving books and video games. You probably aren't aware, but AW Admin worked on interactive books and digital content in the 1980s and 90s, and was involved in pretty much creating the genre. I was working in computer games publishing at that time and was involved in the production, sales and marketing of very similar projects. We both have a lot of experience here. You're welcome to ignore our comments but as we've both got decades of experience in the area you're working in, you might find it wise to listen to us and not dismiss us as "a bunch of people".

We've had other people asking this over the years, just as you have, and while I do see value in the exercise you have to understand it's not as simple as you seem to think it is, and there are several issues to consider here.

As has already been said very eloquently upstream, very few people are going to be willing to share their sales figures etc. in the way you've asked because it would mean exposing their financial risks and gains, and people don't often like talking about money.

As I have already said, unless you narrow it down a lot you're going to be comparing apples to durian fruit here, and no meaningful data will be collected. The variables aren't just genre, format, extent, but also talent, experience, track record, and so on. Trade publishing is a very different animal to self publishing; selling non-fic requires a whole different set of skills to selling a short story. And where's the place for journalism and memoir and self-help books?

You can't be sure people are going to tell you the truth. Very few writers are going to be willing to admit that their books failed, for example.

Any data which is collected as a result of self-selection is going to be flawed.

Now, if you can ask questions in a way which isn't asking people to expose themselves in unpleasant ways, and which is going to be narrowed down enough to collect meaningful data, then that would be useful. How do you suggest we do that?

And, you know, get their butt handed to them over the internet by people unwilling to be transparent about anything, or ignored, or given rough ballpark numbers that help but won't convince anyone. People can show their worst sides sometimes, when you try and talk business, which is what I've learned from trying to go it alone -- which is another reason for this thread.

OK. I'll share some of my data, and we can see how it helps.

I've had over forty books published (and have edited a lot more). All have turned a profit for their publishers. Not all have earned out. Not all have sold through. The lowest print run was about 3,000 copies. Several have run to 20,000 copies or more and gone to reprint. Most have been published around the world and sold into translation. The best sales figures were about 2,300 in the first week of publication. The worst didn't even sell that many in the first year. Some have been advertised on the sides of busses and buildings and I'm not sure how much that helped, but it was fun seeing them.

So, I'm planning on doing a whole bunch of stuff in September to help prepare for a book launch in December, assuming there's money coming in. Anyone interested in numbers when that happens?

That sounds just like the self-publishing diary threads you've already been referred to. Why don't you start your own diary thread, and we can enjoy hearing about your progress, and all you've achieved?

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Heya, compadre. My self-publishing thread is over here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?308983-And-here-we-go

I talk about sales on here, but I don't give dollar amounts. I don't really have a problem talking about them on a one-to-one basis, though. So if you want to message me and ask for dollar amounts, I'll go ahead and dig up my data.

The thing of it is, every writer is unique, every book is unique. You can try to predict, but until you actually get down there and get your hands dirty, there's no way to know. Proceed with caution, be prepared to do a lot of reading and research, and be wary of involving money until you have a strategy. Even then, be prepared to shift as needed.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
TL;DR: Best of luck I suppose?

The whole concept sounds a little misguided. First, you've artificially limited the request to a very narrow selection of results which is basically guaranteed to show the business will be some level of financial "success" rather than a reflection of what is likely.

Second, what sounds like fun to you is going to sound like work or oversharing to many. I just don't anticipate this thread going much of anywhere for you beyond frustration. Could be wrong!

Some information like you are looking for will be found in diary threads here, and launch threads on kboards, particularly first launch threads. If you really want this, my guess is you're going to do the leg work yourself rather than asking for it to just be shoveled into your thread by others.

As others have mentioned, a business loan for a first novel sounds like a really terrible idea. I'm not a fan of Kickstarter for first novels, but even that bad idea sounds like a step up (due to less downside) than this one.

This reminds me a little of R.T. Leone's initial launch with really lofty ambitions. I suggest hunting that old thread down on kboards and reading it from beginning to end. (A spoiler, things didn't go so well for R.T. but he takes it all with a lot of grace.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The thing of it is, every writer is unique, every book is unique. You can try to predict, but until you actually get down there and get your hands dirty, there's no way to know. Proceed with caution, be prepared to do a lot of reading and research, and be wary of involving money until you have a strategy. Even then, be prepared to shift as needed.

This is very true. Not only is it difficult to work out what works and why, something that works for one book won't necessarily work for another because of that uniqueness.

SBDec

Banned
Reaction score
You do have the rights to do this for the video game you're working with, don't you? Sorry to bang on about it. It's just that I've seen so many people start on a collaborative or derivative work without realising they'd need to negotiate terms with the copyright holder if they wanted to publish those derivative works, and it's never ended well. This is particularly pertinent for you as you're planning on setting up a limited company, and borrowing money and so on.

Video Game inspired, not Video Game licensed -- or, you know, fanfic. I'd say "Think Ready Player One", assuming that helps at all, but in truth my story is really nothing like Ready Player One.

I believe you're working on some sort of interactive crossover project, involving books and video games.

That's... oddly apt, considering some of the things I'm going to be doing, but no. If I was better at coding and there was more time in the day, maybe, but no.

I still haven't gotten a good enough way of describing it yet, but think... casting a wide net over the web, with multiple website presences and content sources, to draw in an audience that's interested in writing, games, and reading (and, honestly, not all of them at the same time), and then serving them.

It's a mess of a plan, with drawbacks and problems inherent in the premise, but at the very least I can say I'm doing my best to not have the numbers be reliant on luck, which, really, is the main reason I'm ignoring people telling me to stop. That and being stubborn as all get out.

You probably aren't aware, but AW Admin worked on interactive books and digital content in the 1980s and 90s, and was involved in pretty much creating the genre. I was working in computer games publishing at that time and was involved in the production, sales and marketing of very similar projects. We both have a lot of experience here. You're welcome to ignore our comments but as we've both got decades of experience in the area you're working in, you might find it wise to listen to us and not dismiss us as "a bunch of people".

That's interesting for a multitude of reasons, some of them being even a little relevant, but also you've got to be aware that you sound exactly like a multitude of people who don't know what they're talking about who've also tried to dissuade me, which you've immediately gotten lumped with. AKA, people who have freely lectured me for forty minutes of an appointment before finally admitting that they didn't understand the terminology I used to try and argue my case, or have openly laughed at my ideas.

Frankly, you've got your own assumptions about how I'm going to be doing things. I plan on releasing three books next year. Do I plan on selling more than 2,000 copies between all three of them? Not really, and even that's a stretch and a risky number to gamble on, despite all marketing, editing, and cover design that'd offset the bleak initial numbers. Have I made accommodations and planned accordingly? You bet.

The thing is, if I was going to back down now, it should have happened long before now. And if I was going to back down just because numbers where bad when I know they're bad and am finding ways around it, then I'd be one sorry individual to loan money out towards.

Any data which is collected as a result of self-selection is going to be flawed.

Point. But you're also never going to hear about the failures in real life anyways, so you're never going to think to ask them for their datasets. You might as well get some down-to-earth numbers with your brilliant successes.

Now, if you can ask questions in a way which isn't asking people to expose themselves in unpleasant ways, and which is going to be narrowed down enough to collect meaningful data, then that would be useful. How do you suggest we do that?

Lead by example?

I guess that only half answers the question, but, really -- do a good job at showing your work, reap the rewards of doing so, and people will copy you.

I've had over forty books published (and have edited a lot more). All have turned a profit for their publishers. Not all have earned out. Not all have sold through. The lowest print run was about 3,000 copies. Several have run to 20,000 copies or more and gone to reprint. Most have been published around the world and sold into translation. The best sales figures were about 2,300 in the first week of publication. The worst didn't even sell that many in the first year. Some have been advertised on the sides of busses and buildings and I'm not sure how much that helped, but it was fun seeing them.

Sounds like a cautionary tale with a bit of something like nostalgic whimsy at the end, not something to take to a bank manager. Which, yeah, was probably the point, but you actually did the opposite of what you intended when you mentioned your worst book sold less than 2,300 copies in the first year, because that's the range I'm going for. Sure, traditionally published isn't comparable to self-publishing (which is another thing), but if you where looking to dissuade me then you didn't do that.

That sounds just like the self-publishing diary threads you've already been referred to. Why don't you start your own diary thread, and we can enjoy hearing about your progress, and all you've achieved?

I'll do that as soon as there's news to share. Right now we're kind of in the middle of figuring out money issues, which, while interesting, will probably go on for a month or more before we get to actual book stuff.

I talk about sales on here, but I don't give dollar amounts. I don't really have a problem talking about them on a one-to-one basis, though. So if you want to message me and ask for dollar amounts, I'll go ahead and dig up my data.

(...)

Proceed with caution, be prepared to do a lot of reading and research, and be wary of involving money until you have a strategy. Even then, be prepared to shift as needed.

Thanks -- I'll check your thread, and message you if I have any questions. I've got a general strategy already, but for the book I probably need to do some tweaking and strategizing.

This reminds me a little of R.T. Leone's initial launch with really lofty ambitions. I suggest hunting that old thread down on kboards and reading it from beginning to end. (A spoiler, things didn't go so well for R.T. but he takes it all with a lot of grace.)

Lofty? Well, maybe, but not about the book. Unless he was low-key looking into becoming a... god, I hate spelling it out... a low viewer number web celebrity in the process of marketing everything, I don't think we're that heavily related. I'll look into it anyways.

I really wish there was a better term that encapsulated the idea than web celebrity. Web presence? Having an audience online? Probably something like that.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think most of us already analysed our own data in our self-publishing diaries in this forum. I can't even remember mine without rereading my thread. You could also try reading that big annual self-publishing survey that crunches sales numbers - I forget what it's called.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm looking for run-of-the-mill success stories...

Be sure to look at run of the mill failures too. You'll learn far more that way.

As for my stats, I'm not sure I really trust them. I'm not anal enough to track exact dates and times of blogs, sales, readership, reviews, etc. I'm not even sure I trust sales figures completely. My only real stat that I track is royalty payments and advances.

Sorry I can't help much in this project, it is kind of interesting though.

Jeff

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To give you some context, I used to have access to a huge amount of data on self published titles, and from what I remember most authors sold fewer than 50 copies of their books--both print and digital.

Been there, done that. 22 copies of one (I only printed 25 so I'm okay there), 11 of another (don't do a run of 100, I gave 85% away and lost money). Fortunately, others have done better, and I'm not counting the ones that I did more as a promotion of my self and skills than as books to earn a living. Both are worthwhile though.

Digital is a better gamble, put basically no real money in to get a return of $39 and change, you did okay. Provided you don't figure your hourly wages. And the odds, though against you, are far better than a scratch off from the local bodega.

Jeff

SBDec

Banned
Reaction score
Internet famous?

I'm not sure that sounds any better, though I guess it at least doesn't have the word "celebrity" in it. There's also the fact that I'm not sure that people not on the internet get the undertone that internet famous means only famous on the internet.

I think most of us already analysed our own data in our self-publishing diaries in this forum. I can't even remember mine without rereading my thread. You could also try reading that big annual self-publishing survey that crunches sales numbers - I forget what it's called.

Point. And I think I already found that survey, or at least the articles about it.

Be sure to look at run of the mill failures too. You'll learn far more that way.

Hard to come out and ask people about that, especially when they don't advertise themselves. And, uh, by "run-of-the-mill success", I mean "you're in the high end of the 50% that sold about $500 worth of copies", which, by a lot of people's estimates, is still failure. So, hard to make a call there.

Digital is a better gamble, put basically no real money in to get a return of $39 and change, you did okay. Provided you don't figure your hourly wages. And the odds, though against you, are far better than a scratch off from the local bodega.

Assuming you don't put any money in it either, which is... eh. Not the way I'm going about it, obviously, at least for editing -- I'm still debating a little whether or not I should do my own covers, which is probably a dumb idea since it makes the most difference statistically, but there's other considerations in the mix, too.