I just couldn't get into A Song of Ice and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canislupus54

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I read through A Clash of Kings and I just didn't feel motivated to read on. I re-read A Game of Thrones for a crossover fanfic I did, and it was better than I remembered, but I still wasn't really into it. I think it suffers from being too grim for me. Most characters are jerks, the ones who aren't either die or become jerks, and it's a sequence of bad things happening without any real levity or cause for positive emotion.

Anyone else have issues with this series?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I read two pages of it. Twice.

I don't like fantasy. Everyone loves it. I tried.

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
What didn't you like about it?

Kind of the same thing as you. Also, the first time I tried to read it I was 14 (why anyone gave me that book then, I don't know) and I couldn't get past Danaerys (spelling?) basically being raped when I was her age. I tried again later and... The characters have to be a special kind of asshole for me to care about them and GoT doesn't have that kind of asshole.

AR_Kingston

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't get into it either, and I love fantasy. My friend really loves it, but it just did not grab my attention. Normally I'd power through a book anyway, but considering it has a rather large number of sequels I shall pass for something that holds my attention span for longer than 3 seconds.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I found if I skipped the epic paragraphs describing clothing and food, and just skipped from dialogue to dialogue it was a lot more tolerable.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I really like those books, but as someone who can't quite see what the fuss about Neil Gaiman is, I feel ya. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Everyone has their own tastes, their own likes and dislikes, that's a given, so no point in arguing about this. I will say though, my issue with the series is mainly that I won't ever be able to write anything as good as this. I've been reading and writing fantasy for decades, trying to get better at it. Alas! I believe the excellence yardstick for fantasy has been elevated by GRRM's works.

-Derek

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
ASOIAF is one of those bandwagons I am quite happy to jump on, love it. But a lot of the purported amazing worldbuilding feels barely better than someone's D&D janky setting (some of it is great). And those names, ugh.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
I tried. I failed. It was grim and repetitive. And when GRRM can't figure out what to do with a character then BAM! Dead. Sorted. And we start again... Not to knock it if it's your thing, just my feelings.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Not all books are for all readers. It's perfectly fine to dislike a book that a lot of other people like -- they probably don't all like the books you love. ASOIAF is strongly polarizing. You are not alone in not getting into it.

For me, I read the early volumes as they were originally published. They definitely stood out from the pack at the time, both in craftsmanship and ambition. But the field has changed around it, as have my tastes, and by the time vol. 4 made its appearance I was profoundly uninterested in reading it. Even less now. My verdict pretty much echoes yumpty-tum.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Grrr......I should've known better than to read this thread.

Had never read any of it, nor watched it on TV. With my predilection toward fantasy, figured it'd be another one to toggle with Tad Williams for some reading material. So, just finished the first book a few weeks ago. I can see the merits of both sides - some of it I have to slug through, other portions I can't read fast enough.

So, why am I hating this thread? Too many spoilers! Please edit the OP title to include the words "Warning: Spoiler Alerts included herein"

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember where I heard this . . .

George R.R. Martin, Joss Whedon, Steven Moffat, and Quentin Tarantino walk into a bar . . . everybody dies. :evil

(Should this have been prefaced with Spoiler Alert! . . ?) :Shrug:

Canislupus54

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I tried. I failed. It was grim and repetitive. And when GRRM can't figure out what to do with a character then BAM! Dead. Sorted. And we start again... Not to knock it if it's your thing, just my feelings.

Yeah, I'm not knocking anyone who likes it, just wondering if others felt the same way.

Grrr......I should've known better than to read this thread.

Had never read any of it, nor watched it on TV. With my predilection toward fantasy, figured it'd be another one to toggle with Tad Williams for some reading material. So, just finished the first book a few weeks ago. I can see the merits of both sides - some of it I have to slug through, other portions I can't read fast enough.

So, why am I hating this thread? Too many spoilers! Please edit the OP title to include the words "Warning: Spoiler Alerts included herein"

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm legitimately asking, what spoilers? Basically all I said was "Bad stuff happens a lot."

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...on re-reading, there's no specific spoilers from you. But others discuss sexual activities (which I'd already read through, so no spoiler there), someone else did tease about GRRM's predilection toward killing off characters when he writes himself into a corner. Pondering if this is why Eddard...well, never mind, now I am falling victim.

*sigh*

Back to work... :)

AR_Kingston

Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember where I heard this . . .

George R.R. Martin, Joss Whedon, Steven Moffat, and Quentin Tarantino walk into a bar . . . everybody dies. :evil

(Should this have been prefaced with Spoiler Alert! . . ?) :Shrug:

:roll:

I think you killed me with that one. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Game of Thrones is like that guy you meet in high school who's a little bit older, and you think he's cool because you're fourteen and scandalised by swearing. Then the longer you hang out, the more you realise he's all show and no substance, and the things that made him seem amazeballs are actually repetitive and a bit cheap. Eventually you move on to better options, and while you occasionally think of him with fondness, you also roll your eyes a little bit.

Anyway. I read them as a teen before they were popular. I don't think they're particularly great (Matt Hilliard has a fab article on this). With a caveat--I think the very first book was extremely well done. But after that the plot nosedives off a cliff, and has yet to resurface. I do think the show has been an improvement on the storyline though.

Edit to add--I sodding love fantasy. But it's a big damn pool and not everybody swims at the same end. I've met other fantasy enthusiasts where we didn't have a book in common between us.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I just don't want to see another person trying to justify the bloated word count on their first manuscript with "But GRRM did it with his first novel." As if he didn't have a writing career spanning decades before that.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I still have yet to start this series, though I feel a bit bad about having missed all the hoopla due to the popularity of the TV series. A couple of years ago, I saw an intern at my office whip out the latest book in hardcover and that convinced me, "Yeah, I'm gonna' buy this on Kindle. I ain't carrying that." It's on my list, but kind of far down. I know I should get around to it though, it very nearly feels like saying you like fantasy but haven't read Game of Thrones is like admitting you've never read Lord of the Rings either.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to read it after watching the first season or so and I couldn't get past the first three pages. I liked the show waaaay better and was a little shocked that didn't care for the book. I don't watch it anymore, though. Bad things kept happening for seemingly no reason, and I heard that the show went out of its way to add scenes that didn't happen in the books just for shock value. I'm not sure if that's entirely true, but it was enough to turn me off the show. Even if I loved Dany and her dragons :(

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I think it suffers from being too grim for me. Most characters are jerks, the ones who aren't either die or become jerks, and it's a sequence of bad things happening without any real levity or cause for positive emotion.

Anyone else have issues with this series?
Couldn't get into it either, and mostly for the same reason. The unrelenting grimness and asshole characters are way too much. While the bloated description style of the books is a little annoying, I could've gotten past that, if I'd given a shit whether any of these people lived or died after the first book. I watched enough of the show to know it only gets worse, and I'd soon start voting for the plot to have a Giant Meteor ending. Just destroy that whole world and everybody in it. The few who don't deserve it would be better off.

Just my opinion. Obviously lots of other people like it, and I'm not saying it's terribly written. Just way too unrelentingly depressing for me.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Heh. I won a trade paperback set of the first few novels in a Del Rey writing contest 6 years ago. There was some hoopla about the HBO series, so the Mr and I caught the first few episodes. I'm a fantasy buff who cut my teeth on Tolkien, Norton, Feist, McCaffrey, etc. in the 70s. I'd loved other GRRM books. Wasn't much impressed by the cable drama, so I hit Wiki to see what happened next.

And...nope. We stopped watching, and I donated the books still in plastic to a local convention's charity auction. I feel no guilt whatsoever. It's not that I'm prudish or can't handle grimdark. But GoT had too many utterly pointless deaths, too much repetition, and a desperate need for major editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.