Can I send an updated version of a manuscript?

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
An agent requested a full manuscript from me a couple of weeks ago and I sent it. However, I was unhappy with an early chapter and have revised it. Would it be appropriate to contact the agent and offer to send the updated manuscript?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I would say no.

It's not a good look, professionally. At best, it shows you're nervous, which is understandable but you still have to be able to put nerves aside as you move through the publication process. You also risk giving the impression, rightly or wrongly, that you're going to be one of those authors who wants to make constant tweaks rather than follow an editing process. That could foreshadow more work for an agent down the line.

Chances are the agent has started reading already and has probably made it past the opening chapter anyway. Chances also are that whatever's making you unhappy with it is pretty minor, in the grand scheme of things.

In general, always make sure the MS is ship-shape before you query. If you want to make tweaks, wait until after a round of queries.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
In general, unless you've made sweeping core revisions, the bones of your novel are there to see. If it's what the agent wants, they'll still like it etc. If not, your revisions probably won't have made much difference.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said. You risk looking unprofessional if you did so. I'd only recommend (and I have only done so in the past) sending an updated manuscript if an industry professional (agent, contest, etc) has given you significant feedback. And I would say this to the agent in the email.

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. That makes a lot of sense.

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
Agreed with what others have said. I do think, if you get a preponderance of evidence suggesting a rewrite is needed (not tweaks, not a single chapter, but big-picture stuff) it's appropriate to make a revision plan and then tell an agent something along the lines of, "If you've already begun reading, by all means continue-- I'm happy to stand by what I sent. But if you have not, and care to postpone reading for X months while I address some weaknesses that have come to my attention, I can send the new version along when it's ready." I sent a note like this when my manuscript was out to four agents. Two said they liked it so far and would keep reading; two thanked me for letting them know and opted to wait for the revision. As long as you're acting genuinely and in good faith, IMHO the agent will appreciate the communication.

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
I messed up my submissions. Can I submit update?

I sent queries with a sample of the start of the manuscript that I now realize starts far too slowly. I have revised the manuscript to begin much more quickly. Can I resubmit with the updated sample and a note before the agent responds?

P.S. I had already written this possibility off. I figure I messed up those queries and I'll have to live with it. But I just thought I'd ask here just in case it's acceptable to resubmit before an agent responds.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I would just move on and submit elsewhere. Agents don't like when you're sending then resending and revising and resubmitting again. It will show you're not actually ready. Just make sure it's the way you want it to submit again.

You might get lucky and they might still request! So even though you might have to let them go, you still might hear good news.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Edwardian. If I'm remembering right (please correct me if I'm not), you started another thread yesterday to ask pretty much the same question, and you got three replies yesterday. People are giving their time to answer, so it's a help to see when you've already gotten solid answers. Is there a reason I'm missing that you needed a new thread today? Thanks much.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you take this with the helpful spirit with which it is intended.

Stop querying. You're not ready.

Take a step back, fiddle with your manuscript, get some beta readers, make adjustments, THEN start to query. Every query you send out prematurely is a burned bridge with this manuscript.

When you start to query, you should be done fiddling with your manuscript. (Obviously if you get a request to revise that's another ballgame.) You let the file alone, send queries, and work on your next project.

It's easy to get enthusiastic and want to rush the process, but that's not in the best interest of your goals.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent queries with a sample of the start of the manuscript that I now realize starts far too slowly. I have revised the manuscript to begin much more quickly. Can I resubmit with the updated sample and a note before the agent responds?

You can always resubmit. Some agents don't care, others will think you're just not ready to be looked at or published. Really depends on the agent.

But the key here is that you sent queries before it was time. Finish the manuscript, finish all the rewrites, finish the beta readers and then submit only after the work is as good as it can be.

You live and learn.

Jeff

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(ob!mod: threads merged)

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Edwardian. If I'm remembering right (please correct me if I'm not), you started another thread yesterday to ask pretty much the same question, and you got three replies yesterday. People are giving their time to answer, so it's a help to see when you've already gotten solid answers. Is there a reason I'm missing that you needed a new thread today? Thanks much.

Genuinely two separate questions :) And I certainly don't want to waste people's time. The question about the single chapter is quite separate and different from my second question. I only thought of the possibility of resubmitting the manuscript samples that went with queries after I asked the first question about having revised a single chapter and the full manuscript request. I just assumed it was not acceptable to resubmit a query with an updated sample, then I thought well, maybe I can do it.

On reflection, my only concern is that doing so might make me appear unprofessional when submitting future, other works in the future. My manuscript is quite ready, but I believe I misjudged how I should start the work (too slow!), particularly when the sample is only a few pages long, which is a shame. Ah, well.

Thanks for your responses.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
On reflection, my only concern is that doing so might make me appear unprofessional when submitting future, other works in the future. My manuscript is quite ready, but I believe I misjudged how I should start the work (too slow!), particularly when the sample is only a few pages long, which is a shame. Ah, well.

Thanks for your responses.

The point is, if you think the opener is too slow, that's a manuscript problem and needs to be addressed before you query at all.

Once you query--or at least, while you're querying--you need to be 100% confident in the MS. The opening chapters need to grab the reader, whether they are slow or fast.

I wouldn't adjust a story just because the agent requests only a few sample pages, either. The purpose of those sample pages is to see if you can write and then, if it appears so, the agent can request the full and evaluate the story as a whole.

If the MS is done, trust it. If it's not, don't query.