Maiden and married names

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had always assumed that for much of history, as long as surnames existed, women took their husbands' surname on marriage. Keeping the "maiden name" seemed like a modern, feminist thing.

However, that's not really the case. Even today, in societies like Spain and Korea, women traditionally keep their birth surnames. It's not related to feminism; it's more about keeping the link to the father's family rather than the husband's.

My research has been on 17th century Ireland. It appears that women, at least in Irish-speaking areas, kept their maiden names on marriage. A famous (slightly earlier) example is Grace O'Malley (Gráinne Ní Mháille), who was married twice but was never known by her husbands' surnames. Even in the 19th century, women like Peg Sayers and Biddy Early (both from Irish-speaking regions) were always known by their maiden names.

Today most Irish women change their surnames when they marry. I'm somewhat unusual in that I kept mine, although people sometimes address me by my husband's surname. I think I'm going to start telling them that I'm just following the traditional custom of my ancestors!