3D Printing of a character or item from your story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used a 3D printer, or had someone who knows how to use a 3D printer, create a model of a character or a plot related item in their books?

Just curious. Post pics if you have them, please.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My son has access to 3D printers at uni, and one of his flatmates has one of his own.

I'm not sure how you think printing out things from your book might help you with promotion. It would be prohibitively expensive to do many using one of these, and difficult to set it up, you'd have trouble designing the object too, perhaps. And how would you get your potential readers to see the items? And how would they interact with them?

I suspect there are better things to spend your promotional money on, but I'd be interested if anyone can prove me wrong.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've never thought of doing that, though I could if I wanted to, 3D modelling software is common now and ditto 3D printers. I suppose if I had some book signing or con thing going on, handing out cute little things might get a smile. No idea what, though. Little starship keychains maybe, lol.

-Derek

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
It would be prohibitively expensive to do many using one of these, and difficult to set it up, you'd have trouble designing the object too, perhaps.

Self-publishing seems pretty expensive to me. Especially if you have to pay a printing press, a cover designer, and pay to sell your book at conventions, fairs, and the like. Not to mention the cost of getting an ISBN number and a legitimate copyright but that doesn't stop people. And it seems to me that there are enough commercially available printers and materials on the market that it's not unreasonable to think someone has used, or is planning to use it for marketing purposes, even if it was for something as simple as rewarding a high end backer or celebrating an unexpected success.

I'm only asking whether or not anyone has done it.

I've never thought of doing that, though I could if I wanted to, 3D modelling software is common now and ditto 3D printers. I suppose if I had some book signing or con thing going on, handing out cute little things might get a smile. No idea what, though. Little starship keychains maybe, lol.
-Derek

That's what I'm thinking of. And if it's not that cheap now, then history has shown that it will be cheap enough when the tenth generation of whatever it is gets rolled out.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Self-publishing seems pretty expensive to me.

Depends on how you want to do it. It can be as cheap as FREE, or as expensive as however much you decide to spend on your novel.

Especially if you have to pay a printing press

POD makes this pretty much moot, unless you're wanting a full print run, and why would you want that?

, a cover designer,
This one's a legit expense, if you're not doing it yourself.

and pay to sell your book at conventions, fairs, and the like.

Are you talking about buying a table at a con for this? Because you can't just show up and sell.

Not to mention the cost of getting an ISBN number and a legitimate copyright but that doesn't stop people.

Amazon includes an ISBN, and you've got copyright by virtue of having written. It's not *registered* but you have the copyrights.

And it seems to me that there are enough commercially available printers and materials on the market that it's not unreasonable to think someone has used, or is planning to use it for marketing purposes, even if it was for something as simple as rewarding a high end backer or celebrating an unexpected success.

Are you wanting this as a reward for kickstarter / GoFundMe / Patreon, then?

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how you want to do it. It can be as cheap as FREE, or as expensive as however much you decide to spend on your novel.
POD makes this pretty much moot, unless you're wanting a full print run, and why would you want that?

Some people still want printed books, as opposed to e-books. A lot of websites, like Amazon, Lulu, Createspace, and Smashwords won't let you buy a book, electronic or otherwise, from them unless you sign up for an account, which some people still don't really want to do. Also, there are people who don't have regular access to the Internet, or the devices needed to download books, much less order them online. So in order to get my book out there, it seems like I have to have some physical copies on hand unless I don't mind shutting out a potential reader by telling them they're too behind the times to read my work.

Amazon includes an ISBN, and you've got copyright by virtue of having written. It's not *registered* but you have the copyrights.

Again, assuming you're okay with publishing through Amazon. Not everyone wants to do that. Nor should everyone be expected to want to do that.

This one's a legit expense, if you're not doing it yourself.

I'm sorry. I really only wanted to ask people if they did or did not use a 3D printer to make something related to their book. I don't know why I need to defend a question I've asked, or defend any potential decision I may or may not make in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.