Disagreeing with an editor

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Even if this were an editor at a publishing house, at the end of the day, the decision would still be yours. Of course, in that case, you might risk the editor not publishing your novel, but that is not the situation here. You have paid for an edit, and she has given her thoughts, and you don't believe that they work for your ms. You have no obligation to edit according to her thoughts--you paid her, so she still got rewarded for her work--and the only risk is that she knows something about the market that you're missing that could potentially keep your book from selling, but it could totally be that her own preferences are getting in the way of helping your book be the best it can be.

I know you're reluctant to come across as argumentative, but I think you should talk to her and tell her where you guys are disconnecting on the purpose of the book. It is possible that she felt she was so right about changing it to YA that she didn't bother making notes under the assumption that you wouldn't but that she has plenty of thoughts on it if you keep it adult. It's also possible that she has reasons for her suggestions that you just don't see, and that she can explain them to you in a way that suddenly makes sense.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it common for editors to recommend rewriting into a different genre?

Possibly more common for an agent, but it definitely happens. The common ones I see are something like "This isn't an adult romance, it should be written as middle grade or teen and then the plot works well," or "If you rewrote with more of the science fiction and less of the fantasy this would work better." Not really a command to rewrite but a suggestion as to marketability.

what happens when writers and editors disagree over the direction a MS should take? Obviously the author has the final word, but from an authorial perspective, how do you (question for writers) know when to stand you ground, and when to accept experienced wisdom?

The editor/agent is usually right, but that doesn't mean you have to change. It just means you may have a harder time selling or a smaller audience or you may have to wait until the market changes to get an offer. The worst is getting a reputation as being difficult to work with, editors and agents want to work with writers who want to work with them (just as in reverse) and editors and agents all talk to each other.

I don't in general think I'm particularly egotistical about my MS.

Nobody does but everybody is. It's part of being an artist. :)

Over the years I've pretty much come to accept that you can play nicely or play alone. Sometimes I prefer to play alone, but it doesn't pay the bills as well. This doesn't help you with your decision though, that's something you have to live with and own for yourself.

Jeff

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
The editor may just be stuck in the mind-set of "Since the protagonist is XX age, this could be YA, and YA fantasy with one POV sells better than cerebral adult fantasy with multiple POVs."

This isn't the level of global change you'd be asked to make by an acquiring editor, at least not to my understanding, because adult and children's imprints are distinct, and they would have acquired the ms. with the understanding that it fit in one category or the other. "Which category should this be?" is the kind of issue you'd work out with an agent before submission to editors — again, at least in my experience.

You and the editor are diverging on a question of how you're going to pitch/sell the book. And you're perfectly free to say, "My way" at this stage.

It's worth asking that other question, though: "What would it take to make this a marketable adult SFF book?" Don't be afraid to ask follow-up questions.