Did you have a launch party for your children's book?

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings,

I hope this topic is allowed here. My children's book is due to be published in the fall and I've been thinking of hosting a launch party. So far I've researched that many author's order posters of their book to give away, bookmarks and serve food (snacks, juice) and do a reading or excerpt of their book. I hope to have it at a community bookstore in a central location and since my book is about a special candy I will also have that as a snack item.

Did you have a launch party and where was it held? If you are traditionally published did your publisher help with the loctation and cost? How much did you spend out of pocket? Did you have a guest speaker or MC to serve as your intro?

All information/advice is appreciated.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hey Splendor!

I've now had three MG launches so I suppose I can share my thoughts. The first two were in the afternoon at a bookstore and therefore free. I bought some snacks (not sure where you are but you can get quite inexpensive cakes here in the city with the book's cover on it) and some small decorations, and that was really the extent of my expenses. I have never created anything to giveaway. These launches are good especially if you want kids to attend (and have kids you know who can, that's a big thing, generally the people who will come to your launch will be your friends and family, even if the launch is publicized very few people attend launches of authors who aren't their friends unless you are already a name).

My third launch was last May and was more of a party and held in the evening in an event room at a pub. The pub wanted the PR so gave me the room for free, but I did shell out a couple hundred for food that they catered (I also did the cake purchase again for this one). And also obviously people drank a fair bit so they earned a lot from the bar. Once more I bought some decorations as well, and the publisher printed up some posters to decorate with. Again, no giveaways.

My publisher has tended to in general provide me with a couple hundred bucks to help out and often print things for me. They also create evite invites (though I obviously send out my own as well - again, you really are in charge of getting people out to your launch). They haven't helped with location or really any of the other stuff.

I have also done two other YA launches that, similar, to this last MG one were at pubs with free event spaces (with the promise of a certain amount of spend at the bar). I also tend to do theme parties. Because I am a fan of dress up (though I make it very clear that people don't have to show up in costume if they don't want to).

My YA launches have definitely been quite epic, but since I'm also an actor I get a lot of things for free (like people dressed up in character and stuff). If you are curious here is my Steampunk book launch:http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.ca/2012/12/steampunk-tuesday-most-successful-gala.html (it was pretty full on though, I asked a whole bunch of my Steampunk friends to help me out with displays and stuff. I will say that people are more than willing to help out because they think it's super fun and they like the PR too. So don't be afraid to ask people if they'd be interested)

I have generally had an author friend introduce me (alas my editors are always in different countries, otherwise I'd have had my editor introduce me), though this past launch I just introduced myself.

Last but not least: do a launch because you want to celebrate and host a party. Don't do it for PR, don't do it to sell a ton of books. If either of those things happen, consider it an awesome bonus. But launches are tricky and unpredictable. Do it because you are excited about your book and want close friends and family there. Think of it like a birthday party. :)

And have fun!!

Last edited:

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Splendor!

Thanks for sharing such great information. I think a cake with the book cover would be awesome. Your pics are so FUN! I love your costume. Everyone looks like they had a wonderful time.

Since my book is catered to the 4 to the 8-year-old crowd I was thinking of a few giveaways and maybe a coloring sheet activity.

In the picture where you are signing copies of your book, I'm curious as to how many did you bring with you? Did you have someone collecting the book fee for you?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Re: giveaways and coloring sheet activity: nothing wrong at all with that, so long as you draw in enough kids. I don't have a lot of kids in my circle who are the right age for my books, so generally the people at my launch were adults, friends and family, there to support me. Does not hurt to have some stuff ready for kids, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.

Re: books: That job always goes to the bookstore. I do not want to have to worry about ordering books, paying for them, any of that. So the first two launches that were at the bookstore itself, well that was pretty straightforward. They ordered the books. The other launches at event venues I teamed with a local SF/Fantasy bookstore here in Toronto who does a lot of launches for local authors (I've become quite good friends now with the manager). I highly recommend teaming with a local kids book store and getting them to take care of all the business side of things. It really should not be your responsibility.

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Splendor. Congrats on the upcoming release.

I did a launch event for my first middle grade book. It included a reading, a Q&A session, a book signing, and activities for kids. It was held at a local bookstore, and thanks to the staff there, the turnout was good. I'm planning to do a similar event for my second book, which releases in September.

I'm published through an imprint of a major publisher. I set up the launch events on my own, but I had my publisher's support and encouragement. If I'd needed anything, I could have asked, but it was all pretty simple. I'm not sure how many books the store ordered, but I remember it was a nice stack.

Good luck with your event!

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Splendor. Congrats on the upcoming release.

I did a launch event for my first middle grade book. It included a reading, a Q&A session, a book signing, and activities for kids. It was held at a local bookstore, and thanks to the staff there, the turnout was good. I'm planning to do a similar event for my second book, which releases in September.

I'm published through an imprint of a major publisher. I set up the launch events on my own, but I had my publisher's support and encouragement. If I'd needed anything, I could have asked, but it was all pretty simple. I'm not sure how many books the store ordered, but I remember it was a nice stack.

Good luck with your event!

Laurel thanks so much. Did you invite mostly family/friends? Did you serve food? Did you have any give aways?

I take it you didn't buy copies of your own book and bring with you but the bookstore had copies on stock?

P.S. I just looked at your website and read reviews for Dead Boy. Congrats!!!

Last edited:

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts as a bookstore person. We've hosted a number of book launches here.

Generally, most of the audience at a launch is made up of friends/family/etc of the author. If the store where your launch will be does a lot of kids events it is quite possible that the audience will have a higher proportion of people you don't know including a lot of kids. The event staff at the store should be able to tell you what they expect, although in my experience you never really know until it happens and they'll probably tell you the same thing. In any case, while the store will likely publicize the event, it is mostly up to you to actually get people there.

If you have reason to think there will be a lot of kids, an activity or giveaway for them is a lovely idea.

Authors have brought food & drinks or cake or all of the above for launches here. These events really are as much about celebration as they are about selling books. One thing you shouldn't do is give copies of your book to everyone you know - otherwise very few copies will sell at the launch and that isn't good for you or the bookstore. Make them wait until the launch and support you and the store by paying for it!

Unless you self-published your book, you shouldn't have to worry about bringing books. The bookstore should be able to work directly with your publisher (or their distributor) to acquire books. (We've had a few cases with what I would consider 'questionable' publishers who do not cooperate well with bookstores, and the author had to buy their own books and do a consignment arrangement with our store, but that is never ideal for the author.)

I will second everything Toothpaste said in this paragraph:

Last but not least: do a launch because you want to celebrate and host a party. Don't do it for PR, don't do it to sell a ton of books. If either of those things happen, consider it an awesome bonus. But launches are tricky and unpredictable. Do it because you are excited about your book and want close friends and family there. Think of it like a birthday party. :)

And have fun!!

We always tell the author that we consider an event a success if everyone has a good time. We aren't too worried about the number of books that sell (events aren't a huge part of our business) - we just want to support local authors and provide a welcoming community space. Some stores may be more focused on the bottom line and I don't blame them, but they do know that events are hit-or-miss in terms of sales. Sometimes you get 40 people but only sell 5 books. Other times you get 15 people and everyone buys a copy or two.

I wish you the best of luck with your launch!

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts as a bookstore person. We've hosted a number of book launches here.

Thanks for more great info. I have a small traditional publisher and will need to discuss this with them because I honestly don't know how they typically run launches. I am thinking I should reach out to the bookstore now even though the book isn't out yet just so they can put me on their calendar tentatively.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for more great info. I have a small traditional publisher and will need to discuss this with them because I honestly don't know how they typically run launches. I am thinking I should reach out to the bookstore now even though the book isn't out yet just so they can put me on their calendar tentatively.

You're very welcome! I would reach out to the store sooner rather than later - in terms of publicity, it is always good to have 6 weeks or more of lead time so listings can be placed in print media (in our town, for example, there is a monthly print magazine with a community events calendar that goes to every household in town and the deadline is the 10th of the previous month). Also, you'll probably want to time it to be as soon after the official book release as possible so that people won't already have bought the book. Just make sure the publisher is going to have it on time - we did have one launch with a panicked author because things got delayed a little bit with the release and she was afraid the books might not be ready in time for the event. Everything worked out in the end.

And it probably is a good idea to check with the publisher to make sure you don't have to handle the books. As long as they provide industry standard terms (at least a 40% discount and full returnability) it shouldn't be a problem. And the vast majority of publishers, even small independent ones, are more than happy to do this especially for their author's events.

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
Laurel thanks so much. Did you invite mostly family/friends? Did you serve food? Did you have any give aways?

I take it you didn't buy copies of your own book and bring with you but the bookstore had copies on stock?

My husband and some of our friends came, but I didn't know most of the people there. The bookstore did a good job of getting families to come to the event. I didn't do any giveaways. I didn't serve food at the first launch, either, but I think it's a good idea to serve something simple.

The bookstore ordered and sold the copies. All I had to do was sign them!

P.S. I just looked at your website and read reviews for Dead Boy. Congrats!!!
Thanks!