• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Geology: Kola Superdeep Borehole

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It has been said that the human race knows more about certain distant galaxies than it does about the ground that lies beneath its very feet.

Atlas Obscura said:
While the U.S. and U.S.S.R. vied for space exploration supremacy during the Space Race, a different, less-publicized race took place between the two nation’s greatest drillers. In the late 1950s and early 1960s Americans and Soviets began planning separate efforts to drill as deep as possible into the Earth’s crust, the rocky shell that comprises the outer 30-50 km of the 6730 km distance to our planet’s core.

The American “Project Mohole,” stationed off the Pacific coast of Mexico, was cut short in 1966 due to lack of funding but set an important precedent for future off-shore drilling programs. The Soviets, thanks to the planning of the Interdepartmental Scientific Council for the Study of the Earth’s Interior and Superdeep Drilling, had greater success. From 1970 to 1994 their drill on the Kola Peninsula chipped slowly away to create a Earth-shattering record at the time: the deepest hole in the world.

In actuality, the Kola Superdeep Borehole consists of several holes branching from one central hole. The deepest of these, named “SG-3”, measures just nine inches in diameter but extends 12,261 meters (or 7.5 miles) into the Earth. That’s roughly a third of the way through the Baltic continental crust. To meet scientific objectives and provide a nearly continuous look at the crust’s profile, the Soviets even developed instruments to take direct physical measurements at the bottom of the borehole. The drilling apparatus thus allowed for greater measurement integrity since rock samples would deform under their incredible internal pressure when brought to the surface. Needless to say, the project produced enormous amounts of geological data, most of which elucidated how little we know about our planet.

The study of the Earth is often largely limited to surface observations and seismic studies, but the Kola borehole allowed a direct look at the structure of the crust and put geologist’s theories to the test. One of the most surprising findings was the absence of the transition from granite to basalt, which scientists had long expected to exist between three and six kilometers below the surface. Known to geologists as the “Conrad discontinuity,” this transition in rock type was reasoned to exist due to the results of seismic-reflection surveys.

Though the discontinuity has been detected beneath all of the continents, the drill at Kola never encountered the proposed layer of basalt. Instead, the granitic rock was found to extend beyond the twelve kilometer point. This led to scientists’ realization that the seismic-reflection results were due to a metamorphic change in the rock (i.e. from intense heat and pressure), and not a change in rock type as they had previously anticipated. And if the non-existence of an entire layer of the Earth’s crust is not surprising enough, the cracks of the rock many kilometers below the surface were found to be saturated with water. As free water is not supposed to exist at such great depths, researchers believe the water consists of hydrogen and oxygen atoms that have been squeezed out of the surrounding rock by the enormous pressure and retained below the surface due to a layer of impermeable rock above.

But the most intriguing discovery made by the Kola borehole researchers is undoubtedly the detection of biological activity in rocks more than two billion years old. The clearest evidence of life came in the form of microscopic fossils: the preserved remains of twenty-four species of single-cell marine plants, otherwise known as plankton. Usually fossils can be found in limestone and silica deposits, but these “microfossils” were encased in organic compounds that remained surprisingly intact despite the extreme pressures and temperatures of the surrounding rock.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is, that's where half my socks eventually wind up.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the recording as the equipment broke down from the heat and pressure? It sounds like the background track to a horror film.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the recording as the equipment broke down from the heat and pressure? It sounds like the background track to a horror film.

Oooh, no fair not giving us a link!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Linky to a YouTuber debunking the "sounds of hell" claims about the Kola Superdeep borehole.

(This is not suggest that any actual recordings made didn't sound weird, but Googling for "sounds of Kola superdeep borehole" brings up a lot of Alex-Jones-esque hits.)

As I understand it, the recording is real, just not the context. The noises attributed to "screams" are actually the sounds of the equipment being over-stressed and distorted.

(And, yep - first time I heard it was from someone who'd passed it on as "sounds of hell" a few years ago. I could tell from the sound that it was mechanical in nature, but checking the recording isn't easy. You can find several shallower recordings to go along with the tracked seismic data, but it's very difficult to find a deep recording without some kind of spin.)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, the recording is real, just not the context. The noises attributed to "screams" are actually the sounds of the equipment being over-stressed and distorted.

(And, yep - first time I heard it was from someone who'd passed it on as "sounds of hell" a few years ago. I could tell from the sound that it was mechanical in nature, but checking the recording isn't easy. You can find several shallower recordings to go along with the tracked seismic data, but it's very difficult to find a deep recording without some kind of spin.)

There may be recordings that are real, but that link I posted is pretty clearly assembled from looped sounds, some of which appear to belong to a horror film. :ROFL:

I can easily believe that there were thing to hear that deep. The stresses on equipment and surrounding rocks must be pretty extreme!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Introversion. I didn't listen to your link. I just assumed it was the one I'd heard before. :gone: (It's that kind of day where I assume everyone can just know what I'm thinking. Yeah...) I've heard sermons with one of the debunked versions in it. No joke.

I wish I could find the audio. It's been years ago. You could loop it over one of the "broken rig" scenes out of Armageddon and it would sound like it fit perfectly with the bits breaking down on the asteroid. A lot of it was actually the recorder (microphone, maybe, but that's pretty deep for a mic) collapsing on itself. Freaky, freaky, freaky!