Forced microsoft updates

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
They clearly decided that forcing updates would be less problematic to them than the negative publicity.
Microsoft isn't enforcing updates any more than Linux or Android does. I don't have a Mac nor an iPriceyThingy so I can't tell about Apple. I get a minimum 2 - 4 apps a day that needs updates on my Android tablet and phone, and I get updates / upgrades every day on my Linux machine. On my Windows 10 machines I usually get one anti-virus data update a day and a system update per week or so. Continuous updating - as opposed to timely updating - is the prevalent product life cycle strategy today and Microsoft is not outside the norm in that respect.

-cb

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
This is about the Creators Update, isn't it? I know I didn't have any major problems with Windows 10 until then. (It's a type readability problem that, as far as I know, can only be cured with 3rd party software. :( )

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The cloud stuff, I dunno. I walked away from Windows for personal use when Vista came out (coincidentally, also about the time I no longer had to support Windows users at work) and jumped to Mac, which is much kinder to my command-line comfort-zone soul.

That's exactly where I'm at right now. I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro as soon as I get back home.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is about the Creators Update, isn't it? I know I didn't have any major problems with Windows 10 until then. (It's a type readability problem that, as far as I know, can only be cured with 3rd party software. :( )

I'm sure that's at least part of it for some people. The update disables wifi and touch-pad gestures on my laptop. The eugoogley indicates that this is not an uncommon issue.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
It's more like Windows 7/8 machines upgraded to Windows 10 and then Creators' Update that are having issues. That's the problem with older machines: hardware makers don't have strong incentives to spend money providing device driver upgrades for antiquated products. Most of the big names do it for the branding value but they are not prioritized. Nonames, alas, screw customers left and right; you get what you paid for.

-cb

Last edited:

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
Good grief. I am sorry for starting what appears to have become a much discussed topic. It was not my intention to do so. All I meant was that the user would have a more secure computer with the updates installed. I do apologize.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Goodness, don't apologize. It's an important reminder that a secure computer is a happy computer . . . and an even happier user.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure that's at least part of it for some people. The update disables wifi and touch-pad gestures on my laptop. The eugoogley indicates that this is not an uncommon issue.

cbenoi1 said:
It's more like Windows 7/8 machines upgraded to Windows 10 and then Creators' Update that are having issues. That's the problem with older machines: hardware makers don't have strong incentives to spend money providing device driver upgrades for antiquated products.

:Wha:

Sounds like I got lucky that my problem is mostly cosmetic.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Mildly off from the original topic, and I'll make a new thread if needed, but it does relate to the stuff that's been said.

I haven't let my computer restart to install the new update. It (the computer) was made for Win10, am I likely to have this problem? I kind of need Wifi, on the level of needing air...

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
For those who are using Macs, is it worthwhile buying McAfee for it, or is the Mac firewall effective enough?

You should use one of the always-on-lurk in the background anti virus programs; just one, don't install more than one background app. Also download and regularly update and run the free Malware Bytes for Mac to clean up adware.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Mildly off from the original topic, and I'll make a new thread if needed, but it does relate to the stuff that's been said.

I haven't let my computer restart to install the new update. It (the computer) was made for Win10, am I likely to have this problem? I kind of need Wifi, on the level of needing air...

That's impossible to predict; every end user's environment is a little different. You could always wait a bit and see if things improve. That's perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't wait too long—maybe a month or so, and check Windows support/news sites to see if there's a solution, etc.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Before you allow the update, read up on how to roll it back. I have multiple computers, so I wasn't hooped, but having to go online to find the fix when you have no network... :Shrug:

It's simple, though. It's essentially a restore back to a previous save state. IIRC, you have to boot into single-user mode.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Before you allow the update, read up on how to roll it back. I have multiple computers, so I wasn't hooped, but having to go online to find the fix when you have no network... :Shrug:

It's simple, though. It's essentially a restore back to a previous save state. IIRC, you have to boot into single-user mode.

:gone:

I'm sure this will be simple once I read up on how to do it. I think I understood a little though... Should I be making a save state before I let it install, then?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:gone:

I'm sure this will be simple once I read up on how to do it. I think I understood a little though... Should I be making a save state before I let it install, then?

No, the installation takes care of that. Microsoft has made a point of making it easy to roll back, I think, so that people will be more willing to take a chance on the upgrade. It's a reasonable strategy.

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
As I recall, some people "bought" a Win 10 update to be paid for later. The whole scheme is a bit dicey, in my opinion, but at some point does not the buyer have to pay what they agreed to pay? I rue the day I went Windows rather than Mac but the real estate MLS I needed to use then did not do Mac. I bought Win 10 at a big box store and don't owe for any paid updates.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
No, the installation takes care of that. Microsoft has made a point of making it easy to roll back, I think, so that people will be more willing to take a chance on the upgrade. It's a reasonable strategy.

Oh good! I just remembered needing a save point for insurance when I had to reset my battery driver. (Yes, I've done it before. With pictures and detailed instructions on how. Damned if I remember what I actually did. Also it turned out the battery and driver were fine, just had a feature my old computer didn't have.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Microsoft doesn't charge for updates do they? Good luck, all.

Not unless it's a full number (say 10 to 11; a number I picked at random), and even then, the update is often free.

DrDLN

Banned
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Not only MS can't force you to update Windows 10 but you can even go back to your original version such as Windows 8.1.