• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

learner writer + overuse of dialogue

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Got measuring tapes? How long is that piece of string, then? :)

Concerned I use too much dialogue, especially for my genre. Yes, I know if the shoe fits it can be worn (although surely the moral of that allegory is that the shoe never fits, unless you're Cinderella, and I'm not...) but I do wonder if I rely on dialogue too much due to inexperience rather than because of style choice.

Thoughts?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found I wrote a lot of dialogue at first because that part of the story is in one's head already existing in verbal descriptors. I had to work at learning how to describe the settings and other elements of the story because those were in my head as images.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My first drafts are like 80% dialogue and I have to go back and fill in. I hear the whole thing in my head and yes, even run through it talking to myself like a crazy person. I don't tend to delete a lot of the dialogue. I just add reactions, emotional queues and setting to the talking heads.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many touchy-feely details to the craft of writing... One thing that I have found wonderful is asking my husband to read my writing out loud to me. If something is clunky, boring, overdone or whatever, it seems to stand out so much more clearly when I hear it rather than read it.

ABookAndAGuitar

Registered
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there, Hemingway's short story "The Killers" seems to be like 75% dialogue.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I do wonder if I rely on dialogue too much due to inexperience rather than because of style choice.

Surely what matters is not the amount of dialogue, but what the dialogue is doing. How much of it carries story weight and how much of it is fluff that could be cut? Are you using dialogue to avoid writing action? Is it repetitive? How many conversations drag on longer than they need to? Or conversely, how many could use more depth?

Those might be the questions you'll want to consider.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
The coffee maker hissed and gurgled as it dispensed its life saving fluid. Rat listened the machine as he sat at the edge of the mattress and stared up at his only window. The view wasn’t much, the backyard was covered with cement so nothing grew out there; all he saw was a bit of wooden fence and the bleached blue sky of early morning. After a moment of mentally dulled reflection, he heaved himself off the mattress and got dressed.

is bleached blue a color that needs hyphenation?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
is bleached blue a color that needs hyphenation?

I would hyphenate it. But what does this have to do with whether or not the OP has too much dialogue? Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread? :)

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
You mentioned especially for your genre, what is it?

Also, am I correct in thinking genres like YA and comedy would be the ones with the most dialogue?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The amount of dialogue is ultimately a stylistic choice. Some authors write a lot of description and all that. Others are more minimalist in description, relying on dialogue to tell the story. There's no set amount of dialogue you must have.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I would hyphenate it. But what does this have to do with whether or not the OP has too much dialogue? Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread? :)

Yikes, yeah posted in the wrong thread... dang it. Sorry about that.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got measuring tapes? How long is that piece of string, then? :)

Concerned I use too much dialogue, especially for my genre. Yes, I know if the shoe fits it can be worn (although surely the moral of that allegory is that the shoe never fits, unless you're Cinderella, and I'm not...) but I do wonder if I rely on dialogue too much due to inexperience rather than because of style choice.

Thoughts?

I think you do not trust your talent as much as you should.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
One of my running jokes with my alpha-reader is "As usual I put two characters in a room and they started talking about things."

My educational training for writing was screenplays. Dialog rules there. Moving to novels I find dialog is still the strongest element I write, but I've learned to write narrative and internalization as well. But, there are still points where the scene is focused on what characters are saying. Not a bad thing if that's what a particular story calls for.

Things to watch for: Characters recapping in conversation a scene we just witnessed, As You Know Bob conversations, characters discussing something that has no conflict/subtext. (Subtext for a scene can always be reduced to "yes" and "no". If it's not there, the subtext is flawed.)

But some characters talk more than others. Some situations require brainstorming rather than immediate action. Trust your gut. If you don't like what you feel, do something different. (Even if you don't keep the something different you can make a decision about what works better.)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
.... Things to watch for: Characters recapping in conversation a scene we just witnessed, As You Know Bob conversations, characters discussing something that has no conflict/subtext. (Subtext for a scene can always be reduced to "yes" and "no". If it's not there, the subtext is flawed.) ...
I've been deleting redundant dialogue like crazy and I can't believe how much I'm finding. I hate it when I read the same thing in other people's books, and now I see how easy that is to do.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
The advice I've heard leans toward showing (via dialogue and scenes) rather than telling (description, summary). Action and character interaction is more interesting to readers.

That said, how you write a scene depends on the POV of your character. He might be waiting to meet someone and going over what he wants to accomplish in the meeting. Also, how much is your MC stuck in his own head? Does he think before reacting? Is there some unspoken context to the scene?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Have people carped about the amount of dialogue? How do you​ feel about it when you read your own stuff?

Some do, some don't, same as for all betas I guess. I'd say the majority have commented that it has an unusual amount, or acknowledge that when I ask.

How I feel about it is mixed. So firstly, I find first person much easier. To my mind, all first person narratives are dialogue centric, if the narrator is conversationalist in style, just that it's one sided dialogue (with the reader). Which is fine and good for my first person MS, but the one I'm worried about is in third person.

However, I think I've transferred that tendency to have conversations with the reader over to third person, only the reader is now constantly eavesdropping rather than being included directly. I'm not sure that's a good technique.

Surely what matters is not the amount of dialogue, but what the dialogue is doing. How much of it carries story weight and how much of it is fluff that could be cut? Are you using dialogue to avoid writing action? Is it repetitive? How many conversations drag on longer than they need to? Or conversely, how many could use more depth?

Those might be the questions you'll want to consider.

There's not a great deal of action, but I tend not to be interested in reading/writing action, and more in intrigue. I try not to make it repetitive. The early chapters had a lot which were too long but I'm cutting those back gradually. Depth--think I'm okay there. My wordcount is only 89k at present (it's theoretically completed and finished at 89k) so not a huge amount of fluff I think.

You mentioned especially for your genre, what is it?

Also, am I correct in thinking genres like YA and comedy would be the ones with the most dialogue?

I don't know about the YA/comedy thing. The third person MS is adult speculative fiction (fantasy).

One of my running jokes with my alpha-reader is "As usual I put two characters in a room and they started talking about things."

My educational training for writing was screenplays. Dialog rules there. Moving to novels I find dialog is still the strongest element I write, but I've learned to write narrative and internalization as well. But, there are still points where the scene is focused on what characters are saying. Not a bad thing if that's what a particular story calls for.

Things to watch for: Characters recapping in conversation a scene we just witnessed, As You Know Bob conversations, characters discussing something that has no conflict/subtext. (Subtext for a scene can always be reduced to "yes" and "no". If it's not there, the subtext is flawed.)

But some characters talk more than others. Some situations require brainstorming rather than immediate action. Trust your gut. If you don't like what you feel, do something different. (Even if you don't keep the something different you can make a decision about what works better.)

No conflict is certainly a reoccurring theme/problem for me I think.

The advice I've heard leans toward showing (via dialogue and scenes) rather than telling (description, summary). Action and character interaction is more interesting to readers.

That said, how you write a scene depends on the POV of your character. He might be waiting to meet someone and going over what he wants to accomplish in the meeting. Also, how much is your MC stuck in his own head? Does he think before reacting? Is there some unspoken context to the scene?

Action isn't a big focus, till the end. It's, I guess, primarily mystery. perhaps the issue is I've just built the mystery and intrigue incorrectly.

For the other questions you mention, it depends on the POV I suppose (there are 5--fairly standard for fantasy these days).

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I was rereading an old Waylander book recently. Now I have enduring fondness for David Gemmell, but with fresh adult eyes I can see the books aren't... as well written as their modern counterparts >.>

and I do think he overuses dialogue; his books are more like film scripts. But then that kind of fits at the same time becuase he was all about the pulpy-pulp back and forth action, with similar back and forth dialogue.

Kiss of the Spiderwoman is a book with 100% dialogue and no narrative, but that was deliberately mimicking film scripts. It's a novel about two men in prison, telling each other about films they've watched... not a great deal of action but so good.

Anyway they have specific reasons or feels in those cases.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I found I wrote a lot of dialogue at first because that part of the story is in one's head already existing in verbal descriptors. I had to work at learning how to describe the settings and other elements of the story because those were in my head as images.

I had the same problem, plus not realising that other people wouldn't get the same images in their head automatically from reading the dialogue (I started creative writing as a hobby when I was 12 so there were a lot of things I didn't realise).

Back to the OP: what you need to avoid is the whole "talking heads" thing, i.e. the impression that disembodied characters (or disembodied heads or voices) are speaking in a blank room. You need enough other info for the conversations to be real.

You also need to avoid the temptation to write everything that characters say. That's another thing I used to do. I'd see entire conversations playing in my head between my characters as they interacted with each other and thought I was supposed to write the entire conversation down, small talk and random stuff and everything. (This goes hand in hand with way too much stage direction.) These days I realise that you only need to include the important bits, and some conversations are better rendered as indirect speech. For example:

I walked into the office and Tracey was standing by the tea machine.
"Alright Tracey? How's it going?"
"Not too bad... I'm a bit behind my target though."
"Yeah and me. Hope I'll catch up this afternoon."
"Did you hear, Jackie's leaving. She got a job at Tesco's. Payroll department."
"Oh my God! I can't believe that! She was so into this job!"
"Yeah I know!"
"Anyway, gotta dash, my break's over in one minute"
"Okay, see you around!"

Can all be replaced by: I bumped into Tracey by the tea machine and she told me Jackie was leaving. New job in Tesco's payroll department, apparently. Jackie! I can't believe it. I thought she loved this job.

i.e. focusing on what's important rather than feeling the need to relay every single thing that the characters are saying as the story plays out in your head.

The above is not an exhaustive list of potential pitfalls, but overall I'd say if you're getting feedback from others that there's too much dialogue (or if you feel that way when you're reading and editing your work), then it's likely that you have a lot of dialogue isn't doing anything useful, rather than it being about the actual amount of dialogue. (Or there's nothing wrong at all but you've been told some arbitary percentage that may be irrelevant to the type of story you're writing.)

As long as the all the dialogue is doing something useful (moving the plot forward, worldbuilding, character development etc) and there's enough non-dialogue there for all of what's going on to be clear, then there isn't really such a thing as too much dialogue. Some types of story will naturally have a lot more dialogue than others, i.e. stories where the action will take place through people speaking (courtroom dramas spring to mind).

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed I tend to write more dialogue when starting out (I write out of order), then I have to go back and fill in with the other stuff to flesh things out (exposition, action, reaction, what they're thinking -- can't think of the word right now -- description, etc.) I think the reason for this is because in real life interactions with other people are mostly dialogue. But we have to go deeper into the characters' minds in order that readers can connect with the story more, to feel it more. So we have to expand on the dialogue.

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I like dialogue-heavy stories. But only if the dialogue's interesting (like conflict's involved). If a story goes a long time without dialogue, I tend to get bored and start skimming until the next section of dialogue.

Like some others have said, it is partly stylistic and different readers have different preferences.

I think as long as you give enough details to ground readers (something I have to keep in mind) and enough character emotions (something else I've been working on), and you make sure your dialogue moves the story and is full of conflict or characterization or something interesting, you should be good.

CJ

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I have a preference for stories with more dialogue or less dialogue. That's not the relevant axis. The relevant axis is: Is whatever is going on interesting or isn't it? If someone tells you that your story has "too much dialogue," perhaps what that really means is that it has too much uninteresting dialogue; too much of characters yammering on in ways that are not advancing the story or adding new information about their characters or enhancing the reader's immersion in the story's world. Conversely if you're told that your story has "not enough dialogue" then perhaps there is too much of whatever else is going on that is getting in the way of interesting character interactions.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What Lakey just said. It's also possible that your work feels or reads like dialogue is overused because there isn't enough balance of it with narrative. Long stretches of largely uninterrupted dialogue can get tedious, even if the dialogue is on point and relevant to story. Post a characteristic example in SYW, long enough to give a feel for the style.

caw

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Ty for the advice all (also to those I haven't responded to directly yet.) A fair amount to think on there :)

I'm not sure posting an excerpt from the middle somewhere would be 'fair' (for lack of better word) for critters. There'd not be much context.

But having noticed that my short story attempts suffer from all the same issues as my longer ones, I might put up part of that instead.

Last edited: