zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
VP IX here, but super congrats! You're going to have an incredible time. :)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
VP V here (she says, her joints creaking). You will definitely have an incredible time.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance today! :snoopy: Are there any other AWer's in this year's class?

Congratulations!

Well, there's MacAllister, of VP X who manages the workshop/staff and cooks . . .

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I regret not knowing about this sooner. Never even heard of it until I saw someone I follow on Twitter excited for her acceptance, then this thread. It seems like an amazing experience. Maybe I'll try for it next year. :)

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
Hah, yep! I'll see you there!

Yay! I was so excited when I saw that.

I regret not knowing about this sooner. Never even heard of it until I saw someone I follow on Twitter excited for her acceptance, then this thread. It seems like an amazing experience. Maybe I'll try for it next year. :)

Oh yes do! This was my first year applying *ducks* and I really feel like I lucked out, but an acquaintance attended and has said some great things, so I tried. Everyone has been really supportive.

And thanks again everyone. I keep bouncing between exultation and complete terror... but it should calm down eventually... I hope.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who is teaching this year?

I found it really great to get so many different one-on-one perspectives on plot, character, motivation, editing, prose, and marketability. And to hear how the instructors critiqued other people's stories, too. Though in some ways the best part was simply spending a week immersed in writing, with professional writers -- it seemed to validate writing as more than a hobby, as something that real people do and real people care about.

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
congrats--i live on the other island and will wave!

Oooh! Which direction should I wave back at?

Who is teaching this year?

I found it really great to get so many different one-on-one perspectives on plot, character, motivation, editing, prose, and marketability. And to hear how the instructors critiqued other people's stories, too. Though in some ways the best part was simply spending a week immersed in writing, with professional writers -- it seemed to validate writing as more than a hobby, as something that real people do and real people care about.

The full list is at the link below, but this year Elizabeth Bear, Scott Lynch, and Max Gladstone are teaching as well. I've heard Max speak at a few different cons so I'm pretty excited about that part. But yeah the whole list is amazing. :snoopy:

https://viableparadise.com/viable-paradise-experience/viable-paradise-instructors/

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I still have boot envy. (eqb had the most gorgeous brown leather boots, and I still drool thinking of them. They just looked so awesomely cool on her.)

gmwhitley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gmwhitley.com
This is right in my backyard, relatively speaking. How have I never heard of it?

I had never heard of it either - in 2016 I attended a science for science fiction writers workshop at the JQI in Maryland (which I only heard about because I'm friends with a physics professor) and a fellow attendee was a grad (Curtis Chen - Waypoint Kangaroo) - he told me about VP, Clarion, and Odyssey. Since I have 4 young kids, a 6 week workshop is out of reach for me now - Viable Paradise is viable (pun intended) since it's only a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.