• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader sought for historical erotic romance (M/F), 67K words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a beta for a completed and self-edited work: I am happy to send some sample chapters on a no-obligation basis, for you to decide if it is worth investing your precious time in my book. DM me with what you would like to see before committing. This particular book isn't on SYW but one of my short stories is up on the Erotica SYW board.

Title: The Hysterical Bride
Manuscript Genre: Erotic historical M/F romance
Manuscript Word Count: 67,500 words
Warnings: Doctor-patient relationship. Explicit M/F sex (mostly vanilla, some very mild S-M play). Infrequent (very) bad language.

Blurb:
Dr Stephen Todd is proud of the career as a physician he has built from nothing in 1760s London. New patient Caroline Grant isn't hysterical, just unlucky in love, but Stephen knows the usual treatment—massaging her to 'relief'—will prepare her as well as he can for an unsatisfactory marriage.
Caroline is resigned to the choice between marrying her awful fiancé and staying a childless bluestocking spinster for life. Meeting Dr Todd opens up some disturbing and thrilling new possibilities: what might life be like with a man who listens with respect and sets her whole being on fire with a simple touch?
Stephen finds himself torn: Caroline is in desperate need of a white knight, but he has sworn never to violate his Hippocratic oath. If Caroline is to escape her fate, she will need to risk her family, her gentility and her reputation. Her fiancé is not a man to be crossed, and for Stephen, the stakes will be even higher…

What am I looking for in a beta?
I’m looking for someone to read the whole novel and give me big-picture feedback/advice on pacing, characterisation, setting, emotional depth, and whether the romantic arc and tension works - the flow of the conflict is a little different to the typical romance. I am not expecting detailed line edits, but marking up any prose that doesn't work for you would be great too (and any close editing you want to give will be gratefully received). The novel has been through two complete drafts and should be fairly well proof-read and grammar-checked already.

Constructive negative feedback doesn't trouble me. If my book really sucks, I'd quite like to know why. :)

I am not looking specifically for a critique partner or a direct swap, but I am about to post my interests in the Willing Betas thread and so I may be willing to reciprocate.

danyelstatzer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Have you found a crit partner/beta reader yet?

I am looking for a beta for a completed and self-edited work: I am happy to send some sample chapters on a no-obligation basis, for you to decide if it is worth investing your precious time in my book. DM me with what you would like to see before committing. This particular book isn't on SYW but one of my short stories is up on the Erotica SYW board.

Title: The Hysterical Bride
Manuscript Genre: Erotic historical M/F romance
Manuscript Word Count: 67,500 words
Warnings: Doctor-patient relationship. Explicit M/F sex (mostly vanilla, some very mild S-M play). Infrequent (very) bad language.

Blurb:
Dr Stephen Todd is proud of the career as a physician he has built from nothing in 1760s London. New patient Caroline Grant isn't hysterical, just unlucky in love, but Stephen knows the usual treatment—massaging her to 'relief'—will prepare her as well as he can for an unsatisfactory marriage.
Caroline is resigned to the choice between marrying her awful fiancé and staying a childless bluestocking spinster for life. Meeting Dr Todd opens up some disturbing and thrilling new possibilities: what might life be like with a man who listens with respect and sets her whole being on fire with a simple touch?
Stephen finds himself torn: Caroline is in desperate need of a white knight, but he has sworn never to violate his Hippocratic oath. If Caroline is to escape her fate, she will need to risk her family, her gentility and her reputation. Her fiancé is not a man to be crossed, and for Stephen, the stakes will be even higher…

What am I looking for in a beta?
I’m looking for someone to read the whole novel and give me big-picture feedback/advice on pacing, characterisation, setting, emotional depth, and whether the romantic arc and tension works - the flow of the conflict is a little different to the typical romance. I am not expecting detailed line edits, but marking up any prose that doesn't work for you would be great too (and any close editing you want to give will be gratefully received). The novel has been through two complete drafts and should be fairly well proof-read and grammar-checked already.

Constructive negative feedback doesn't trouble me. If my book really sucks, I'd quite like to know why. :)

I am not looking specifically for a critique partner or a direct swap, but I am about to post my interests in the Willing Betas thread and so I may be willing to reciprocate.

Hello, My name is Danyel. I have 2 complete WIP and 2 self published novellas. I am looking for a swap. But I am still in edits and willing to read yours before I send you anything.

Danyel

JadeDonovan

Sir Lurksalot
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Susannah,

I'd be interested in critiquing your novel. It sounds like a lot of fun! I've always thought the whole massage-by-physician thing for hysterics would be a most excellent premise for a story. Great minds think alike, haha.

I can certainly focus on big picture developmental feedback, if that's what you prefer. For the most part, my feedback style consists of reader reactions, inline nitpicks, and general suggestions for improvement. I fairly good at spotting pacing issues, but setting is not my forte. On the sliding scale of gentle-to-hardass, I tend to be polite or friendly in my feedback; let me know if you'd like me to get a little rougher. As for the format of feedback, I'm infatuated with MS Word's commenting and track changes features--please let me know if you'd prefer a different format for receiving feedback.

One caveat: the only historical romances I've read are Jane Austen. I may not be able to help with historical accuracy in that respect. If you're okay with that, I'd love to see what you've got! Shoot me a message if you're still looking for another pair of eyes. :)

Dallas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Susannah,

I PM'd you about my novel, and I just came across your post, I would be willing to read/critique your story as well:)

Status
Not open for further replies.