Advice Needed: Rich kid stereotype

DaniEllis

Registered
Reaction score
So usually if someone is rich is described as snob, a mean girl/guy, and is not very likeable. However for my plot my MC is a rich girl, though she's a nice, normal kid. Not presumptuous, not look-down-your-nose-on-others type of girl though she can be tough if messed with. And also it's not very in your face the fact that her family has money.

It's also not a romantic novel. Something like the Notebook where the rich girl falls in love with a poor boy. It's fantasy and it's more focus on her and some problems she has. So what do you think guys? It would be an issue for you to connect with someone like that?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are plenty of nice kids around whose parents have money. I wouldn't find that alone a reason to not be able to connect with her.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
I can cheer for a character as long as she's facing some challenge I can relate to. Sometimes being nice can be a struggle all by itself.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, your character shouldn't be a turn off for readers if her personality is still appealing.

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
I came from money, but no one knew it until they visited my house. Same could be said about one of my best friends. It's not the money that makes the kid bad, it's how they are raised. Kids from any walk of life can grow up to be spoiled or mean, if that's how the parents brought them up. Or sometimes it has nothing to do with the parents, of course.

If the parents teach your MC to value money (or, like in my case, trick her into thinking her family went bankrupt to pay for the house she lived in), then they can be "nice, normal kids."

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So usually if someone is rich is described as snob, a mean girl/guy, and is not very likeable. However for my plot my MC is a rich girl, though she's a nice, normal kid. Not presumptuous, not look-down-your-nose-on-others type of girl though she can be tough if messed with. And also it's not very in your face the fact that her family has money.

It's also not a romantic novel. Something like the Notebook where the rich girl falls in love with a poor boy. It's fantasy and it's more focus on her and some problems she has. So what do you think guys? It would be an issue for you to connect with someone like that?
I bolded the key. Her background is just fodder for the conflict.

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on her other personality traits and how she deals with different situations. I can't say I've ever not liked a character because they have money - it's their actions that have made me dislike them. If you show us that there is more to her than just being a rich girl, and that those other traits are likeable, then I can't see a problem.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I think that's certainly possible. I'd also say there are more layers to everything. I've known some rich kids who were pretty normal, but everyone has blind spots. I've also known some who would tell you how totally normal they are, and are nice, and try to be nice, but who don't have any kind of grasp of normalcy beyond their experience and their (usually rich) friends', and have a belief they earned things they didn't, etc.

It depends on the way someone is brought up, parents, community, peers. Just saying there're a lot more possible layers and options besides snob and nice and normal.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I knew a 'rich' girl when I was a teenager. Not fabulously wealthy, but richer than we were. Her folks had a nice house in the 'classy' part of town, and a 'cottage' on one of the nearby islands. Her dad was a local celebrity. We didn't know any of this.
We were all in the same hobby club, and she was just 'X', a sweet kid, friendly, helpful, fun to be with. We only found out when she offered to host a meeting at her place. We are impressed by the neighbourhood, and the house is 'heritage' ie 'old and fancy', but no mansion. She shows us around, points to what looks like a den, and says "That's where my dad works." So, we asked the obvious question - "What does your dad do?" She looked mildly surprised, she said his name and we knew it, and felt somewhat embarrassed at our ignorance, but, hey, at least she knew we liked her for herself alone, and weren't sucking up for favours. (In our defence, it was a really common last name.)
She went to regular school, although in the nice part of town, and went on to higher education, leading to a real job. Not just lounging around on Daddy's money. And I don't recall her saying a mean thing about anyone.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Flip it. Would you ask the same questions on the basis that she was a poor kid? Your character is your character. It's your job to make us understand her as her - not as just a function of her family's wealth.

Good luck!

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It doesn't seem like she cares all too much about money, the fact that her family has money doesn't matter much in that case. What is important is what she is going through. Being able to relate with her or not is going to be entirely up to what she is going through and how she handles her challenges.

Though her background is from a wealthy family, she seems to be just like any other kid, however, in my school the rich kids were automatically popular no matter what.

So, how does she manage her social status?

Edit: If she is humble, I would get along with her.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought: Gansey/Ronan in the Raven cycle. Give your character depth, and there should be no worries!

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I went to the poshest private school in my state, and know many "rich kids". To be honest, there were very few of them who were a**holes. Most were just normal. If they ever did act like a**holes, it was usually because someone from outside the school was ridiculing them for going to a private school.

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score

Flip it. Would you ask the same questions on the basis that she was a poor kid? Your character is your character. It's your job to make us understand her as her - not as just a function of her family's wealth.

Good luck!

Hi DaniEllis. It's cool you're going against current stereotypes and having a nice rich kid. It may be more of a challenge to make the character sympathetic and have readers connect, but once they see she's not entitled or spoiled, and has her own struggles, that can change.

Being poor usually makes a character more sympathetic to readers (like any disadvantage), but I think it's also important to show that so-called privilege doesn't always make life easy or great. All the money, beauty, popularity, talent, etc. doesn't mean there's not suffering from any number of things - deaths, pain, abandonments, betrayals, abuses, mental health problems, and such. IMO, most people have now moved past judging based on obvious disadvantages, but are still judging people who have any advantage, so I think books like yours are important.

Hope it works out!

CJ

DaniEllis

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I know rich kids, at the end of the day are people and can be as nice or bad as anybody else. I just wasn't sure if people would connect with the character as much as with others that may be not so fortunate. But seeing that a lot of you, who are avid readers, don't have a problem with it, as long as the MC is more than that, really helps me. Thanks again guys.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Make her human or whatever species she is. Her humanness is what counts.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
I think a good question to ask is how her family treats/cares about their own image and how much they may want her to live up to that image. I have a good friend who comes from a fairly wealthy family, we've been friends for years and I had no clue she was as rich as she was until she actually told me years into our friendship. Yes, at times she could be pretty thoughtless, and there would be hell to pay if you didn't let her win an argument...but at the same time, she's really sweet and has a good heart. She was funny and we could talk about anime for hours. She's a really awesome person, but if you talked to her for more than a few minutes you could kinda tell she came from money, yet she doesn't throw it in people's faces or even take pride in it. She is very used to always getting her own way, and that does come through when you interact with her, but at the same time she is big into fairness and hates to see people bullied, heck, she was the kid in school that would stand up to bullies herself and defend the kids that need to be defended. She may be rich and a tad spoiled, but she's still a plenty likable person, and a person who faces real issues, just like you and me.

I won't go into too much details, but her family, despite having money, is not a happy one...and I think that is something you should take into consideration and keep in mind: just because a family has money dose not mean that family still doesn't have issues....it just means money is not one of those issues. Every family can have issues, regardless of how wealthy they are., and the same applies for wealthy people. Just as privlege can be great, it can also be not so great. While we may not understand the weight of living up to the responsibility of a family name, there are other responsibilities we do feel the weight of and thus we can empathize with a wealthy character who struggles under the weight of their prestigious linage. While we may not personally experience the isolation that comes with everybody wanting to be friends with us just because of our social status, we can still understand isolation and have been isolated for different reasons ourselves, and we still understand how lousy it is to be surrounded by shallow people.

Wealthy people can be as sympathetic or unsympathetic as you make them....just because a person has money dose not mean their life is one without problems or concerns. Just because money isn't a concern your protagonist has to deal with does not mean there are other concerns she does have to deal with that can still resonate with a non-wealthy reader.

Make your protagonist seem real...and you can't go wrong. Wealthy people are still human, and can still have human struggles and emotions. Your job is to bring that humanity out...so go, get writing. Thats the best advice I can give.

Btw, I also write a lot of wealthy protagonists, most of whom are villain protagonists, but not always. The current story I'm working on follows the daughter of the richest person on earth in a future where the class divide is far more pronounced than it is even now, and I think she's plenty sympathetic not in spite, but because of her wealth and the issues it brings.

This girl, like myself, suffers from high functioning autism and ADHD, and as a result has issues with living up to what her family wants, and expects, her to be. Her life is obsessively micromanaged by others and she herself is kept largely out of the public, left to live an extremely opulent but sheltered and isolated lifestyle so she can't do any damage to the family image when she invincibly dose something "weird" in public. Her public appearances are thus totally controlled, rehearsed and scripted. There is also immense pressure on her to do well so she can be the proper heiress the family business empire needs, but she just cannot live up to that expectation in most cases and it weighs on both her and her family. She is very rich, and a person looking at this world as a whole would likely find the sheer stark difference between the absolute excess in which she lives and the horrific poverty that the masses suffer to be disgusting and morally wicked.Yer, since the focus is on her we get to learn about her as a human. We get to see that she is a passionate VR gamer and anime otaku who lives for the catharsis of her escapist, digital fantasy worlds. We get to see that she is a programming genius. We get to see that she is weird in all the best ways, and she makes us laugh. We see she is honest to a fault, sometimes brutally so. We see how she hates seeing others bullied, and will stand up to bullying when she sees it. We also see that she faces real personal mental health issues made worse by a family that's not too happy about the fact she has them. You get feel her isolation with her..and how both her immense privilege and the fact the world seems counter to how her mind operates leaves her unable to connect with others and have actual friendships.

Most of all, we see her overcome all her issues, and become the unlikely hero. We see her go from being an aloof rich girl ignorant to the world's suffering and absorbed in her digital fantasies to a reality-warping hero who puts her life on the line in a quantum videogame, fighting an evil catgirl to liberate God's brain from her control and set reality right for everybody.

By focusing on somebody like her, you find out that she's not a monster, even though she is very privileged. Do this with your girl..make her human, and notva stereotype, and you'll be fine, I think.

Last edited:

Flambeau

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said so far, and I definitely commend you for having a lead character that is rich and has positive personality traits. There is nothing wrong with being rich or coming from money. Nothing at all. Coming from poverty or middle class does not mean that you are going to grow up to be any better a person than someone from wealth. It just doesn't work that way, and that stereotype really needs to be examined and broken.

Shirokitty

Registered
Reaction score

I certainly see no reason you can't have a character like that. In fact, I find most rich people I've met don't fit the stereotype. Some of them I didn't even know were rich until someone teased them about it or I saw their car.

Though it's more fantasy/horror, my protagonist is pretty much the same.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
So usually if someone is rich is described as snob, a mean girl/guy, and is not very likeable. However for my plot my MC is a rich girl, though she's a nice, normal kid. Not presumptuous, not look-down-your-nose-on-others type of girl though she can be tough if messed with. ?

Well,yes, if someone is a snob (with or without money) or mean or unlikeable...uh, no. I wouldn't like that. I'm not sure what rich has to do with it? Wealthy people can be snobby jerks or incredibly warm, generous, etc. Their parents instill values or not the same as any other family. Income level does not define someone's personality traits. There are plenty of rich "nice, normal kids" who do not "look down their noses" and plenty of rich kids who are not so nice and are snobs. And lots of wealthy people are not in your face about it. Plenty of middle income who also represent a diversity of personality traits--some nice, some not. some families might be clueless but many are not and are very active in various causes.

You can make your character likeable or not--she's your creation! Give her traits you would like, make her interesting and have problems like everyone else (addiction in the family, trauma, disengaged/abusive parents, unrequited love, wants to play lacross/ride horses/downhill race but her parent won't let her, in love with a guy from Taiwan and she never sees him, worried about her weight/food, grieving the loss of her younger sister, struggling with stuttering/ADHD/anxiety, etc.)