Fear of fans?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to this I don't think I'll ever qualify to be a fan, thank God. :tongue If I ever do get ardent, about anything, please spray me with a hose.

I'm sorta okay with it, as long as they don't say "turgid." :tongue

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Not everybody who reads a book is a fan(atic) of that book. It's presumptuous to think that a reader/any reader/every reader is necessarily fond of your work just because they want to talk to you about it. All it means is they've read it. Or some of it.

'Fan' is a distancing and -- ymmv -- patronising term. Readers are perfectly capable of having conversations about books they've read without being fans of the work, the author or its characters.

Ah, see I didn't know 'fan' came from 'fanatic,' and I've always held a much milder definition of the term -- what mccardey said below, actually: Someone who read OP's book and liked it. I didn't realize the term 'fan' implied a stronger attachment to the work than that. I probably should have realized it, though, when I consider it in the context of terms like 'fandom.' And I agree, liking a work is not a requirement for having a discussion about it.

So in your original reply, were you saying that by thinking of people as readers instead of fans, you engage with them in a more neutral frame-of-mind and are better prepared for a discussion that might include critique and criticism?

Would they? And a fan of what, exactly? The book or the writer? If the first - I'd have thought that someone who read OP's book and liked it was just a reader who liked a book. Which is great, but I don't think it meets the definition of fandom. It's too much of a one-off and doesn't guarantee they'll like the next book.

If the second - if it means they're a fan of the writer, rather than just, say, someone who knows they might like to look at the next book by this writer - then it starts to sound a bit overblown and sort of shallow doesn't it? And a bit rife with inappropriate expectations about the need for the writer to write to please that reader. I suppose in some specific communities (fanfic perhaps?) fandom happens - but in general, no. I don't think so.

ETA: Perhaps the issue is that one can call oneself a fan, but a writer is better off referring to readers as readers. (As Cekrit seems to agree in #7)

I agree -- I would think of anyone who's read any of my work as a reader, not a fan. I was just trying to understand Helix's advice, because OP's question as I understood it didn't seem to hinge on the difference between a reader and a fan.

To answer your question, I'd consider them a fan of the book, not necessarily the writer. But as I said in response to Helix, I didn't know the origins of the term 'fan' so I always thought of a fan as someone who simply read a book and liked it. As you've explained it, I can see how the term 'fan' implies a stronger attachment to the work. I think you're right to say that people may call themselves fans, but coming from the author it would seem presumptuous.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@shortstorymachinist- I also think of a much milder thing when I hear the word "fan." I think many of us do, regardless of if "fan" originally came from the word "fanatic."

"Fanatic" is a rather drastic word. I think it sounds a bit unhinged. While "fan" can include that stronger meaning, I would definitely say I'm a fan of a writer I knew, for example, without drooling or believing that writer was my superior. I would just mean I was a reader who liked their work.

(Also, I hope we answered the OP's issue sufficiently before getting off on this tangent).

Last edited:

shizu

Registered
Reaction score
But I was still a little annoyed that I was being doubted by someone who had just needed to turn the page to get their answer rather than trying to pick me apart at a social event I was throwing.

Is that normal?

I don't know whether or not it's normal, but it's happened to me too. Not at my own social event, thankfully, but I've had readers ask about something that's fully explained later on.

I'm not sure where to draw the line between them not trusting me as a writer to take them where they need to go, or them just being impatient.

The worst one was a reader (definitely not a fan, LOL) who, after one chapter of a 20+ chapter book, complained that I'd been misleading in my summary because Certain Book Event hadn't happened yet. In fact, the story started out as far from Certain Book Event as was possible to get, so I was all kinds of expletives for stringing them along like that.

It was especially ironic because the Certain Book Event they wanted was the very crux of the plot and the character arcs. It was the entire point of the story (and every other reader got that, so while I'm perfectly willing to say I make mistakes I don't think this particular one was mine) and definitely did happen later on.

It always bothered me as to why they couldn't even get past the first chapter to see how things went from A to B, especially when the plot and character development from A to B was the whole point. That progression was the story. But obviously there was some reason they didn't trust me to deliver on the plot I'd set out. :Shrug:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use pen names and don't give them out in real life, but I have definitely had reviews that seemed like the reviewer had read an entirely different book than the one I wrote.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Cekrit: You wrote a book and had it published! That's more than many ever do. Congrats! And, I presume that your party-goer actually bought your book, and didn't bring a library copy to bust your chops with. So, you have actual physical proof of sales!:hooray::hooray:
She may have jumped the gun, criticizing the book without finishing it, (was she planning to bug you chapter-by-chapter?) but, hey, her money is as good as anyone elses!
If anyone tries it again, take the fine advice here to side-step the questions and move on to something else, but try to get their e-mail, or, if you have a website, get them to check there for updates on future work. No need to waste a potential reader.

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
Probably the first move is to stop thinking of people who have read your book as 'fans' and think of them as readers.

Best advice on the thread so far.

My view is that you should never write for your fans, only for your readers.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
1. Some readers like completely different types of fiction, and will see you not writing that type of fiction as proof that you are a bad writer.
2. Some readers will have built up their personality around an agenda, and will see you not writing a book championing that agenda as proof that you are a bad person.
3. Some readers will be "if only I had the time to write" non-writers*, who will read every sentence of yours through an "I could have written this better" brain filter.
4. Some readers will be people who can only feel special and smart if they tear someone else down, be it actors, musicians, scientists, sport stars, politicians, or writers--in this case--you.

One can either learn to deal with it, or one can say "screw dealing with shit I don't want to deal with."

Thomas Harris, Thomas Pynchon, Dean Koontz--they don't meet readers, don't do signings, don't maintain active online presences. Same way plenty of musicians and bands exist only as "studio projects", without live shows, without touring. No one is saying Darkthrone can only be a "real band" if they start performing live, and no one is saying Harris can only be a "real writer" if he interacts with his readers.

You do what you want to do and that's it.

___
* (or "if only I had luck and connections," embittered unpublished/unsuccessful writers)

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to make the next book so much better and please everyone!
You will never, in anything in this life, please everyone. If you set yourself up for that, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think it's great you had a fan (and I do not care what you call her--fan, reader, vibrant person with too little alcohol in her for her own good) approach you and want to discuss your book with you. Think of what that actually means instead of your embarrassment of the moment. Your book was engaging enough that someone cared about it and cared enough about the author to bring something to your attention. No, you didn't make the mistake she thought you had made. That is not the important bit in this story. The important bit is she gave of her time and energy to say something about the book. And that right there is magic happening in the moment. You just need to readjust your internal glasses to see it. ;)

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean for this to sound too cynical; but, I've found it to be increasingly true more often than not.

These days it may be to your advantage to protect your privacy to the pragmatic extent you can. Sometimes there's a thin line between fan and stalker. One can be a bit over-enthusiastic; whereas, the other tends toward obsession. I've dealt with both, and found that keeping most folks not in your immediate circle at arm's length is an overall wise strategy.

Of course, YMMV . . .

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm - I thought this was a thread about the fear of ceiling fans. :Shrug:

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
She may have jumped the gun, criticizing the book without finishing it, (was she planning to bug you chapter-by-chapter?)

Funny enough, I'm close friends with her boyfriend and she consistently asks him for my phone number so she can text me while shes reading and ask questions, thankfully he hasn't given that up yet or my phone would be buzzing constantly.

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The important bit is she gave of her time and energy to say something about the book. And that right there is magic happening in the moment. You just need to readjust your internal glasses to see it. ;)

I feel this :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Funny enough, I'm close friends with her boyfriend and she consistently asks him for my phone number so she can text me while shes reading and ask questions, thankfully he hasn't given that up yet or my phone would be buzzing constantly.
Yeah, that's the behavior you want to watch out for. Good for your friend. the boyfriend, let him never weaken!
If your books become really popular, either Coles will write Notes for her, or someone will start a Wiki about it, and the fandom will answer her questions. Until then, keep her at arms' length.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm - I thought this was a thread about the fear of ceiling fans. :Shrug:

It still could be.

I don't fear ceiling fans, but I do hate the doggone things. You know how some people can't bear the squeaking of balloons, or the sound of a knife scraping a plate? I feel that way about sitting in the path of a fan (ceiling fan, floor fan, car A/C fan, I hate them all). You know how it feels when you walk face-first into a cobweb, or that creepy fluttering sensation when a moth bumps into you? Fans feel like that, only the sensation goes on and on without respite. *shudders*

Lol, people LOVE hanging around me in the summer, because I'll be like "Ugh, the fan's on me. You wanna switch places?" There's always someone happy to jump at the chance.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oh God, do not let that happen.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And the plot thickens... Are you sure your book is all she's interested in? :evil

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The correct etiquette for a fan is to say "You're AuthorX? Wow. I love your work. It's made me so happy to read it."

And then remove yourself from the conversation. It's just going to go downhill from there.

(Actually, on meeting an artist I'd admired, I went further by going "You're THE ArtistX?" He was quite amused.)