Agent question

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello all. Well I got a publisher to publish my book (it'll be out this winter from Nine Star Press). Here's the thing. This is a done deal, and so getting an agent involved in that is a no go. So what I'm wondering is since they don't have rights to the sequel, is it okay to pitch that one to an agent? It will probably end up with the same publisher, because I like them, but is it okay to do that? I also need an agent who will help with my next fantasy novel, so it's probably best to find someone who does both fantasy and M/M stuff. Just wondering if that's okay. Also, now that I have a publishing history, will it be easier to get an agent (fantasy is self-pubed)?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can certainly query an agent after you have stuff published. If your published work did well, that helps a lot. Generally, though, agents will look mostly at the manuscript you've placed in front of them, metaphorically speaking.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
But I can't hand them something that's already in the process, right?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
In the process of being published. The one I have that is going to be published. I think the ship has sailed on the one that's already been self-pubed as very few agents will take stuff that's already self pubed. Or at least that's what I've heard. Could be wrong though.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah. Sometimes that's the annoying part. But so it goes. Maybe the next one, haha. And I have a story brewing. We'll see.