How far to spread the net..

jlivsey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask what people's opinions were on submitting outside of your own country? I write sci-fi and fantasy and the list of UK agents that explicitly state they are interested in the genres is quite a bit smaller than in the US. That being the case, is it worth submitting to US agents or better to stay local?

Not sure if this is exactly the correct place to ask this so apologies if I'm in the wrong area!

Many thanks :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's perfectly fine to submit outside your country. UK and Canadian writers (and those farther away) submit to US agents all the time. I'm the US and I had subs out to UK agents, too.

There are some considerations, like time zone differences, and you have to be prepared for the agent's country of record to be your "domestic" sales, even if it's not your home country. (i.e. a US agent's sales would make your "domestic" sales in the U.S. and your U.K. sales would be a "foreign market" for you, so you'd pay the domestic commission on U.S. sales and the foreign commission on U.K. sales).

Email's become a great equalizer in the global market. If there's a US agent you want to query, then go for it!

jlivsey

Registered
Reaction score
It's perfectly fine to submit outside your country. UK and Canadian writers (and those farther away) submit to US agents all the time. I'm the US and I had subs out to UK agents, too.

There are some considerations, like time zone differences, and you have to be prepared for the agent's country of record to be your "domestic" sales, even if it's not your home country. (i.e. a US agent's sales would make your "domestic" sales in the U.S. and your U.K. sales would be a "foreign market" for you, so you'd pay the domestic commission on U.S. sales and the foreign commission on U.K. sales).

Email's become a great equalizer in the global market. If there's a US agent you want to query, then go for it!

Wow thanks for the quick reply Cyia and for some great advice. Much appreciated! That effectively more than doubles the number of agents I can query :)