• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
NO LONGER AVAILABLE

PREFERENCE - historical, thriller, mystery, crime, Christian, paranormal (ETA: I do not do demons), biography. I'm picky about some scifi and do not do erotica or illicit sex scenes in any genre.

WHAT I WRITE - novels with a flavor of the paranormal, including Christian, historical romance, crime, biography.

BETA STYLE - Intense, straight-foreward review and LBL critiques, and nitpick grammar and spelling, using MS WORD comments or WORKS attachment. Manuscripts that have been edited edited edited, please, but I will read the first paragraph of the first draft and may request more.

EXPERIENCE - never a beta, but have critiqued creative writing and a few SYWs

TIMELINE - Not over 2 weeks, otherwise I'll send a head's up

CONTACT - PM me

ETA to determine correct spelling, please make sure the setting is clear.

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: Not currently available!

Availability
: Available, for swaps!
Preferences: Prefer Sci-fi/Fantasy but open to almost any genre, adult or YA. No MG, Historic, or Romance please. (romantic subplots are fine).
What I write: Mostly fantasy, usually urban. Some science fiction.
Beta Style: Line-by-line, stream of consciousness, to give writers an idea what a reader might be thinking while they read. Can adjust focus/topics of critique (as well as frequency of the line-by-line notes) to writer preferences.
Experience: I've critiqued a few full books, and dozens of chapters/segments.

Last edited:

JadeDonovan

Sir Lurksalot
Registered
Reaction score
Availability [as of 08 Nov 2017]: someone snatched me up! I'll update this post when I'm free again. If you're looking for feedback on a short story, feel free to message me anyway--I can usually fit a good short in somewhere.

Preferences: I prefer to read erotic romance, erotica, or steamy romance. These are my strengths. I will also read fantasy on a limited basis.

What I write: Erotic romance, general romance, and straight-up erotica

Beta Style: I tend to provide a mixture of reader reactions, technical nitpicks, and general observations/suggestions for improvement. Let me know if you'd prefer not to receive any of these things, or if you want me to focus on one issue in particular. I like to be thorough, so be prepared for a lot of commentary; and I sometimes inject some humor into my nitpicks, let me know if you'd rather I didn't. I'm a good pick for authors who lack thick skins or are new to having their work critiqued (but let me know if you'd like gentle feedback all the same, please; I will get tough on occasion).

Experience: I spend a lot of time on Scribophile and have completed 151 critiques as of this writing. I've also done a few beta reads for writers on Goodreads. I've learned quite a bit from critiquing others' work, and I hope that I can use that knowledge to help improve members' writing here as well.

Timeline: I can critique about 12,000 words in a weekend, and about 5,000 words per weekday.

Contact: PM me, please; we can move to email from there, if you like.

Last edited:

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Someone snatched me up, currently doing a beta. Will post when I have availability.
Preferences: I prefer romance (no BDSM please) or urban fantasy. Edited please. No sex that isn't consensual.
What I write: Contemporary, romance, paranormal romance, or urban fantasy.
Beta Style: I'm blunt and don't do grammar unless it starts to bother me at which time I will point out that it is bothering me, highlighting problems and leaving you a comment to check your MS for grammar. I do reader impressions, general observations, and areas to improve. Thick skin is best: I'm not a hand holder. I'm exclusively MS Word.
Experience: I've beta read for writer friends before. But they know me, understand I'm a tough love type.
Timeline: Depends on the project. Contact me via PM and we can discuss.

Last edited:

mothgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Availability:Monday-Thursday; 1pm to 6pm
Preferences:realistic fiction/YA/YA romance
What I write: YA/realistic ficiton
Beta Style:I’d like to read on my phone or computer. I don't have a a lot of experience beta reading but I will be able to read just like your average reader and not a critic. I’ll note in another document. I would love to help improve your story and give feedback
Experience:I don't have experience beta teading but I read a couple of books a week.
Timeline:I take about a few days to a week to read.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Whenever :) I'll probably only take one reader at a time.

Preferences: I like YA, fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian (if you must), and really cool and interesting concepts. I don't mind reading romance, if it has an aforementioned interesting concept. Really, if it's interesting and good, I'll love to read it. My only stickler is this: if you're not writing a fantasy, and it's more than 100k words, I don't want to read it. I have a snarky tongue when it comes to fluff, and hate it. 100k words that isn't fantasy signals to me there's too much fluff.

What I write: I write YA fantasy.

Beta Style: I'm probably in between super strict and super relaxed. I know the difference between my opinion and what I think should be changed, and I'll clarify it in the document. I use Word comments and correction tracker. I also often add random snarky comments in the comments haha. I try to blend edit and critique, so you can get the best of both worlds.

I'll finish whatever is given to me, except on the rare occasion that I feel there is such a huge problem that I believe reading more without fixing it would be useless.

Experience: I've edited and critiqued numerous writings.

Timeline: It'll probably take me a little while, like 2-3 weeks, depending on what's going on in my little life.

Contact: PM me with either a little summary of your story, or the query you've written.

danatcsimpson

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable indefinitely.

Preferences:
Specifically looking for full-length manuscripts, not short stories.
The Yes Please: fantasy, sci-fi, historical fiction, magical realism (Adult, YA, or MG). Engaging nonfiction in the areas of science, medicine, history, food, or cooking. The odd memoir.
The Meh: contemporary, romance, horror. Tend not to seek these genres out, but I read them if I'm in the mood.
The No Way: Christian fiction, erotica.

What I write: Fantasy and sci-fi for YA to NA to Adult, though nothing's been published yet.

Beta Style: I strive to be supportive and encouraging with my comments, but will never tell you I think something's good if it's not. I don't have a wealth of experience in publishing like some folks here, so I'll be reading as a member of your prospective market rather than as an editor. If you're looking for an informal sensitivity read from a lady who like ladies I can provide that as well.

Experience: A few writing workshops here and there. Worked in my college's writing center as a consultant for a few years. Beta'ed a fair bit of fanfic back in the day (I know, I know).

Timeline: 2-4 weeks, depending on manuscript length.

Contact: Please PM me with your genre, word count, and the premise of your book. If I pass, it is a reflection only of the personal tastes of some random internet stranger, not the quality of your work.

Last edited:

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Not Currently available

Preference: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, YA,LGBT, alternate history, I can do erotica (gay preferred, but all works).

My Stuff: fantasy and sci-fi mostly. I am currently working on a fantasy book (about 28K so far).

Style: I am a linear writer. I am never sure what will happen next in what I write.

Experience: I have read a lot, and am learning to critique. I don't do spelling, and I see grammar only if it is egregious.

What I am looking for: I would enjoy doing some Beta reading and providing feedback on a chapter basis. Ultimately, I would like to find a partner that I can trade stories with.

I prefer to do line by line critique with an overall on the chapter in question. I use a mac, so can share my documents via pages. And am willing to do the same back. Or I can also accept MS Word format — I can do RTF, but that looses any comments I have inserted inline.

Contact: PM, e-mail, smoke signals, I don't do Morse code though (ok I used to, but I don't remember enough to be fluent anymore)

Thank you for your consideration!

Last edited:

HSDarke

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: any time if I can fit it into my schedule
Preferences: fiction
What I write: Fiction
Beta Style: I prefer to read a chapter of your opus in order to give you an idea of how well I consider your approach to be, and I can be as brutal as you wish. I only prefer a synopsis of the story with said chapter. My desire would be that whatever I say, should you choose to implement it, could be used for the rest of the book.
Experience: I have written four novels (three published). The shortest is 62,000 words, and the longest is 258,000 words.
Timeline: I will likely take 1 - 2 weeks.
Contact: my real name is Ruben. You can PM me through this site.

*the copyright fee is only $35. It is very easy to do from a computer. I highly recommend authors copyright their most finished version of a book, because even if you do minor edits in the book but the substance remains the same, the copyright is still valid. This isn't legal advice. I am no lawyer, and you should consult one.*

Last edited:

yngscrpyhngry

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently available for swaps! :)

Preference: YA (I prefer contemporary, but I'm open to anything!)

My Stuff: My WIP is YA Contemporary

Style: I give a few line notes and then a few paragraphs on my overall thoughts

Experience: I've been a beta reader and CP for a few YA writers

What I am looking for: I would love to swap MS's with someone so we can help each other out :)

Contact: PM me so we can swap chapters and see if we'd be a good fit!

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
not available until this batch is done

I'm bored and fatigued from writing and I feel like I've secluded myself from the community so I'm gonna open up for beta reading!

I usually just take a month (especially if it's >100K) and if I'm longer I can just be nudged. I usually say if I don't think I'm a fit, and i try to get through the first 50, anyway, so I have something worthwhile to say. I'm mostly useful for overall plot concerns and your books entertainment level, but I'm also a relatively (informed) PC person, so while I usually stop at offensive points, I make sure to gently point out what came across not-so-okay.

I have beta'd for plenty of people. I read across genres, but typically I read Urban Fantasy/Contemp Thrillers. YA & MG are fine. While I'm not a straight romance person, I'll read anything with some drama or heart. >75K is my sweet spot because I'm a binge reader and try to read everything in one sitting.

PM if you're interested!

Last edited:

tinyCirrusCloud

I'm not crazy, I promise.
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable for now.

Preferences: I read mostly adult and YA SFF, so if you write that, I would be happy to take a look. I am not much of a contemporary or romance person, though. Romance elements are fine, as long as they are not the focus.

Beta Style: I give me immediate reactions and comments in line-notes, then elaborate on my general impression afterward. I like to separately go into my opinion on the writing, the setting, the characters, the plot, and overall enjoyment. I'm also pretty flexible when it comes to more specific things I should look for.

Experience: I've done a handful of beta reads and critiqued a few excerpts here on this site.

Timeline: I usually try to finish a beta read within one to two weeks, depending on the length. If something comes up during that time, I'll try to let you know, but feel free to nudge me if I take too long.

Contact: PM me with a short synopsis and the first chapter, and we'll see if we're a good fit!

Last edited:

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently unavailable.

Preferences: Adult (as in not YA, not, you know, adult adult) mysteries, thrillers, suspense novels, horror, in no particular order. I can read fantasy, sci-fi, and historical stuff, though I only took As there in my NEWTs. I will consider other things, but the further away from this ballpark we go, the less useful my feedback may be. Clean, finished drafts please.

What I Write: Contemporary speculative M/T/S stuff. We aim for horror but rarely settle for gross-outs.

Beta Style: Ideally I'll get your opening chapter to look at and then we'll have a quick talk about your needs/wants/desires vs. my natural tendencies. I usually do a combination of LBL commentary to provide real-time read-along feedback, along with a general section of observations and notes compiled at the end of a chapter and/or after the entire piece is finished. Not your go-to person for grammar.

Experience: I've read for a handful of AW'ers already.

Timeline: Depends on the project, but should be no more than two weeks complete turnaround.

Last edited:

Leema

Registered
Reaction score
  • Availability: I tend to read about 2 beta reads a month. I have what I call a 'beta queue' and, if I can't read your novel immediately, you can be added to the end of the queue.

• Preferences: I will only read full manuscripts - I am not willing to read chapters or WIP.

I like: YA, MG and historical fiction.

I am less keen on: Fantasy, sci-fi, manuscripts over 100k.

• What I write:I write YA and MG (mostly contemporary), but also have two historical fiction novels.

• Beta Style: I prefer to receive your full manuscript, read it, and then give you a dot-pointed summary of the things I found good and bad. I focus on 'big picture' items like plot, characters, and pacing. I do not do line-by-lines or editing. I will tell you whether I love it or hate it, or anything in between. Normally, if I parts of the novel I did not enjoy, I will suggest ways that this can be improved.

• Experience: I have probably beta-ed 50 or more novels by now, so... A bit.

• Timeline: It normally takes me a week or two to read a manuscript, depending on everything else in my life. However, it may take me more than a week or two to start reading your manuscript. You'll be advised at the time you make contact.

• Contact: Email [email protected] with a blurb concerning your manuscript, the word count, and what kind of feedback you are seeking.

Last edited:

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Updated 4/2/18 - unavailable for now

Preferences: I am the most well-read in SFF, erotica, and romance (if that concerns you), but I will beta any genre. No content restrictions. If you can manage to offend or disgust me, I will buy you a drink. But catchy, bubblegum-flavored YA is cool, too. Surprise me.

What I write: Dystopian, cyberpunk, grimdark, dark erotica, dark romance, black humor, darkness with an extra helping of dark.

Beta Style: Constructive honesty. I want to understand what your goals are as an author, and will assess the ms from the perspective of, "Does this achieve the goal of XYZ?" I will nitpick for logic, consistency, if emotions/characters/events are believable. No grammar or line-by-lines.

Experience: I love to read. Dabbled with self-publishing. Beta reading on AW 24/7.

Timeline: I have time to beta 30-60k/week

Please note: I would like to see a sample chapter before agreeing to a project to make sure my skillset is the right match for your manuscript's needs.

Last edited:

Koulentis

Troublemaker
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available

Preferences: Broad range of humor. 'A Confederacy of Dunces', 'Holidays on Ice', and 'To Catch a Giraffe' all grace my bookshelf.

Not Interested: Please nothing that doesn't fall into a broad range of humor. Please no paranormal, erotica, or tales of forcing people against their will. Gunshot to the head = great. Methodically torturing someone = not so great.

Beta Style: Supportive, but blunt. The blunt feedback has been the most helpful to me, so I give the honesty that I would want. Early structure editing is where I'm helpful. My grammar is worse than my spelling. If you're looking for that final polish I am not the reader for you. I'm more of a steel-wool type.

Experience: Been a beta reader for a long time, stretching back to the East of the Web. Have completed a few beta reads for fellow AWers. Even found my old Volume II post when I was writing this.

Contact: PM me if you need a beta reader for your humor novel or short story.

Advice: Don't be afraid to let others read and critique your work. If you're not sure, share it. Feedback is how every writer improves.

Last edited:

eschluessel

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available
Preferences: I prefer SF and regular literature
What I write: FSF
Beta Style: Comments in margins, noting grammar that leaps out at me, things that work well/seem unclear/don't make sense...
Experience: Several stories for friends
Timeline: I teach full-time, have to fit things around that...do maybe 6k a week?

Mr.Letterman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all 🙂

I’m open to being a beta reader of most genres (excluding erotica please, I’m blushing 🤭)

I haven’t beta ed for anyone before and I’ll do a line by line if requested

I write action/adventure sci-fi psychological stuff.

Dependent on the size of your manuscript, I’ll do my best to finish it as quickly as possible. I do work full time though.

I’ve revently finished my own manuscript and am having a month off and need something to read!

Hope this helps

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: currently unavailable

Preferences: Short stories in anything but romance. I prefer Fantasy and Science fiction when reading novels, but I'm open to anything with the exception of romance (just not a big fan).

What I write: Short stories and Fantasy.

Beta style: I will give you honest feedback. I don't sugarcoat, but I always try to start with the positive. I look at style, comprehensibility, structure, character depth, dialogue, tense, and POV. I do watch and correct grammar, but it's not my strong suit. I've been told I have a comma handicap, lol. If you're looking for someone who can fix all your commas, semicolons, and such, look elsewhere! I been told I give good feedback, but I'll let you judge that for yourself.

Experience:
several years of university workshops, a year working on the university journal, and several beta reads here on the AW.

Timeline: It depends on the length of the piece. I'm normally a fast reader, but I do work full time, have my own writing to try to squeeze in, and have two children so it's hard to say how fast I can get back to you.

Please do not send me unedited work. Beta readers aren't here to read your first draft, and we're not a free editing service. We're here to point out what you might have missed, tell you what is working and what is confusing or awkward, look for plot holes, etc. I will give your work a fair read, but if after several chapters I'm seeing an excessive amount of problems such as info dumps and passive voice, I will politely return it to you with my reasons and a suggestion to do a little more revision.

Last edited:

mongo

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I am currently available.

Preferences: I prefer Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thriller, Suspense, and Westerns. I also prefer to arrange swapping, a read and critique for a read and critique. But I am not opposed to just offering beta-reads. I find critiquing the work of others forces me to consider, and reconsider, my own writing.

What I write: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thriller, Suspense, and Westerns (imagine that! what a coinkydink!)

Beta Style: I am not a professional editor or proof-reader, so please do not expect such. I will provide a reader's POV on story, plotting, world-building, dialog, and characterization.

Experience: Four-plus decades of avid novel-reading across multiple genres.

Timeline: Depending on the written work and agreed critiquing, a novel can take between two and six weeks - given that I still work full-time.

Contact: Please initially PM me here on AW initially. After we get to know each other a bit, we can progress from there.

Last edited:

Lodovico

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Now, but I only want to read one person at a time for now.

Preferences: SF & F, Horror, Graphic Novels, Historical Fiction (I very much enjoy Military/Naval history), Thrillers (I love a good conspiracy theory, the older and more far-reaching the better). My favorite authors, in no particular order, are Neil Gaiman, Diana Gabaldon, Stephen King, Harlan Ellison, Robert Heinlein, Spider Robinson, C. S. Forester, Patrick O'Brian, Neal Stephenson, Cory Doctorow, Larry Niven, and John Varley.
Please, no Erotica or Romance. Shorter works might be better for me to start out on. A novel would be okay, so long as it's not one of those cinderblocks like Stephen King writes.

What I Write: I have made attempts at writing Fantasy and Humor, with limited success. I've only ever finished a few short pieces, and I have 2 Fantasy novel ideas on the back burner, one of which has been there since 1984, and is getting a little overcooked. I've never been published for pay, just an article in a newsletter and a story in a fanzine.

Beta Style: I don't really know. This is my first time trying to do this, so I'll be kind of feeling my way. I can tell when something's not working, and usually tell why. I can be a little bit of a grammar Nazi when I want to be, but I try to suppress it unless the mistake is particularly glaring.

Experience: Practically none. I co-edited all 2 issues of a Xeroxed weird humor magazine in college, 35 years ago.

Timeline: Again, I don't really know. I'm a pretty fast reader, and can finish most books in a week or less. Reading to critique might take longer. I'll do my best not to drag it out.

Last edited:

Farhad

Registered
Reaction score
Unavailable right now

Preferences: I'd love to read any genre, as long as there's humour. Preferably a lot of it. My favourite authors are P.G. Wodehouse, Tom Sharpe, Terry Pratchett and Agatha Christie. If I had to pick a genre, in order of preference, fantasy, followed by mystery and science fiction. Wouldn't mind a bit of Lovecraftian horror either.

What I write : Fantasy inspired by the works of Terry Pratchett (Discworld series). Current WIP is called 'Do Orcs Rob Banks?', and a beta reader response from this very group made me realise how vital the role of a beta reader is.

Beta stlye : Mostly I hope to give you honest feedback as a reader, on what I like and don't, while picking up on any spelling / grammatical errors I spot along the way. Probably can't help as much with the deeper stuff like POV, showing v telling.

Experience Absolutely none, unfortunately. But as I mentioned, an extra pair of eyes going through your manuscript can't hurt.

Timeline Fast reader in general, particularly if I enjoy what I'm reading. Which is why I said I would prefer humorous, lighter reading in general. I may get bogged down every now and then with exam scripts to grade, but shouldn't be too big an issue.

Contact PM me with a query and first ten pages of your work

Last edited:

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Availability: Can take on a short story swap, as that's what I'm primarily working on now. But if there's *chemistry* I could be talked into reading longer works.

Preferences: Short stories (for right now). Anything except romance/erotica or religious/inspirational.

What I write: I'm working on a collection of short stories based on classical mythology, retold as gay fiction. I've written some longer works in that vein as well as fantasy.

Beta Style: Balanced feedback. I share how I'm reacting throughout the manuscript, and I think it's really important to provide at least in equal parts what I liked/feel is strong vs. what I didn't like/might be problematic. I give line comments and big picture feedback.

Experience: I've done about two dozen beta swaps here at AW and elsewhere with I think quite good results. I've also participated in crit groups and workshopping sessions. I've published seven novels with small presses and have an eighth coming out this year. No BFA or MFA degree, but I've taken creative writing courses and more recently participated in conferences and workshops.

Timeline: I'm pretty fast with short stories unless life gets in the way. I do have a day job to pay the bills. But generally with a short story, I can get comments back to the writer in a week or less.

Contact: PM. Tell me a little about your story and we'll go from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.