How is everyone?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I now have over 10,000 words of JUST NOTES for one of my planned NaNo novels. Now that's what I call NOT pantsing. ;) Usually I am either a hybrid, or a total pantser, but this time I think I'm going in the opposite direction.

"Whatever works" is the right way to go--good for you for being flexible enough to go with how the book wants to be written!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jan, you must copyright this expression immediately. A fortune may depend upon it. The t-shirt sales alone could rake in millions. And I'm glad you're making progress in your novel! I'm a fits and starts writer, too, so all you can do is make hay while the sun shines.

As for me, I now have a nearly finished prologue of more than 3000 words. Mainly because I figured I may as well unleash my inner wordiness and let the chips fall where they may. I don't feel so blocked now and am enjoying myself. If I post it in SYW, I guess I'll need to do it in halves. Like a cliffhanger.

But I've also seriously started working on another WIP set in 1899. So I'm getting a little dizzy shifting centuries.
Yes...will get on that :) Wow, can't wait to see your prologue. Make sure you pop us a little note in here if you post in SYW. I read once "you can't edit a blank page" let the chips fall it's a first draft get it out, my hubby's gran always said, better out than in! I do enjoy a cliffhanger...I really liked that movie too, but I maybe that's because I find Stalone sexy. It's his voice. Like Ed Sheeran his voice is just sexy! A guy I went to highschool with looks like Alfred E Newman, I shit you not, anyways I dated his friend for awhile so we spent a tonne of time together, his voice and his intelligence were a huge turn on, even though he looked like Alfred. Strange how the oddest people can be attractive. Ok sorry I went on a bit of side bar there. And off topic.

I now have over 10,000 words of JUST NOTES for one of my planned NaNo novels. Now that's what I call NOT pantsing. ;) Usually I am either a hybrid, or a total pantser, but this time I think I'm going in the opposite direction.
You go girl! I think I'm a hybrid, I need to keep track of my people but I don't write outlines, I can't get sucked down that rabbitt hole. I already spend far too much time in research mode. For my YA Paranormal I have pages of how witches envoke and do their circle stuff and what all the candles and colors mean. I would qualify to be the high priestess in my coven. sigh...but that novel is on a rest till I get my mojo back.

Tomorrow I'm off work and I will write, I will write hard and toss all the rules....this means back story and flashbacks with endless prose coming on :) I see MAJOR editing in my future, that is what my crystal ball tells me...lol.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
A guy I went to highschool with looks like Alfred E Newman, I shit you not, anyways I dated his friend for awhile so we spent a tonne of time together, his voice and his intelligence were a huge turn on, even though he looked like Alfred. Strange how the oddest people can be attractive.

:ROFL:

Got that! I briefly dated a guy from the Highlands. A town on Loch Ness, if I remember correctly. He was definitely nothing to write home about looks-wise, but he was a musical genius and funny as heck. 'Course when he came out with the gorgeous accent, the man sizzled like butter in a hot frying pan! Sigh. Too bad we lived on different continents!

I wish I could convey that kind of indefinable attraction in my heroes and heroines. It's so much more powerful than just being physically stunning, and doesn't degrade with age.

Tomorrow I'm off work and I will write, I will write hard and toss all the rules....this means back story and flashbacks with endless prose coming on I see MAJOR editing in my future, that is what my crystal ball tells me...lol.

:e2moon: THE RULES! Go, Jan, go!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

Got that! I briefly dated a guy from the Highlands. A town on Loch Ness, if I remember correctly. He was definitely nothing to write home about looks-wise, but he was a musical genius and funny as heck. 'Course when he came out with the gorgeous accent, the man sizzled like butter in a hot frying pan! Sigh. Too bad we lived on different continents!

I wish I could convey that kind of indefinable attraction in my heroes and heroines. It's so much more powerful than just being physically stunning, and doesn't degrade with age.

:e2moon: THE RULES! Go, Jan, go!

HA!!!!! Love it!!!!Where's the poop emoji when you need it!

Happy Friday Girls and Guys if there are any lurking out there :) I'm meeting a friend for lunch today and writing.:e2BIC:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone is well.

I've been writing up a storm. I find it super frustrating I have to go to work, because I just want to be home. Strike while the iron is hot.....thankful I'm off tomorrow :)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have only two more scenes to write for the manuscript in my sig. Yay. *flops exhausted*

I really wanted to finish it before the end of October. Fingers crossed.

Wow...that's great! I have all my digits crxd for you!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm swamped with my last three (well, two after today!) assignments. Technically I have to do only one more assignment, but I have to finish a big project before I can do the assignment... At least I got my dreaded presentation over and done with today and did well with that!

Man I hate presenting! I'd much rather be at home writing up a storm like Jan. ;) Then again, I do work full time too so I still wouldn't be at home even without the homework!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm swamped with my last three (well, two after today!) assignments. Technically I have to do only one more assignment, but I have to finish a big project before I can do the assignment... At least I got my dreaded presentation over and done with today and did well with that!

Man I hate presenting! I'd much rather be at home writing up a storm like Jan. ;) Then again, I do work full time too so I still wouldn't be at home even without the homework!
What are you taking in school? Glad the presentation went well, I remember doing those when I was in school, always nerve racking for sure!
GO GO GO MARIAN!

I'm hoping to finish this short story by the end of the month, too. I'm fairly sure I'm on track.

Have a good writing day tomorrow, Jan!
How many words for a short story?

Wow I got a tonne of writing in these last two days. I have decided I need a bit of an outline to keep me on track so I have my first five chapters sort of mapped out with lot's of room to change things, I need the wiggle room, instead of a one lane hwy I give myself at least 4 lanes :)

I think in the past I was so outside the box of my environment that it was bogging me down. I see where it makes sense to "write what you know". Since I'm not a seasoned author I have brought my story closer to home. I've left New England and planted my mc in Minnesota. I've ditched one of the minor events from football to hockey(extremely minor and makes no difference except my own knowledge and comfort zone.) and I've placed my mc working in a nursing home, however she's not a nurse but an aide. Whew.....it seems to be working and I've come up with a story I feel good about.

I'm breaking my habit of habitually editing. Now I only reread the chapter previous or the chapter I'm in. Otherwise I can get stuck editing chapter one forever.

We are under a snow advisory so the kids fall festival was cancelled for tomorrow night. But thankfully I'm off work tomorrow and won't be slogging around in it.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have only two more scenes to write for the manuscript in my sig. Yay. *flops exhausted*

Comin' down the home stretch there, Marian!

At least I got my dreaded presentation over and done with today and did well with that!

Congratulations, yoghurtelf! I'm an introvert's introvert and cringe at being in a room with more than one other person, but force me out in front of an audience and my Extroverted Alter Ego comes out dancing with a lamp shade on her head! Dunno why. Afterwards, I collapse in terrified exhaustion. Everyone compliments me, and I'm left to wonder who was that woman?!

I'm hoping to finish this short story by the end of the month, too. I'm fairly sure I'm on track.

Steady as she goes, Marissa!

Wow I got a tonne of writing in these last two days. I have decided I need a bit of an outline to keep me on track so I have my first five chapters sort of mapped out with lot's of room to change things, I need the wiggle room, instead of a one lane hwy I give myself at least 4 lanes.

You are on an almighty roll, Jan. And I think the changes you've made, incorporating your own environment, will really help propel you along and provide all the little details that go into building a believable world. Good job!

Sorry to hear about the snow advisory. Low 60s here in Maine, which is destroying my lovely month of October. I'm going down to Salem, Mass on Saturday to immerse myself in Haunted Happenings, go to the Psychic Faire, and just absorb the atmosphere of my favorite town during my favorite holiday season. We were going to stay over night, but I had a rabbit who needs meds, so will just blast down and back in one day even though I'm paranoid about driving at night up here - all those moose wandering around!

Then, I have Monday and Tuesday off (yes, I take Halloween off - I'm totally serious that this is my favorite holiday), and maybe I'll write some then. I hope. Eeesh.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Comin' down the home stretch there, Marian!

Congratulations, yoghurtelf! I'm an introvert's introvert and cringe at being in a room with more than one other person, but force me out in front of an audience and my Extroverted Alter Ego comes out dancing with a lamp shade on her head! Dunno why. Afterwards, I collapse in terrified exhaustion. Everyone compliments me, and I'm left to wonder who was that woman?!

Steady as she goes, Marissa!

You are on an almighty roll, Jan. And I think the changes you've made, incorporating your own environment, will really help propel you along and provide all the little details that go into building a believable world. Good job!

Sorry to hear about the snow advisory. Low 60s here in Maine, which is destroying my lovely month of October. I'm going down to Salem, Mass on Saturday to immerse myself in Haunted Happenings, go to the Psychic Faire, and just absorb the atmosphere of my favorite town during my favorite holiday season. We were going to stay over night, but I had a rabbit who needs meds, so will just blast down and back in one day even though I'm paranoid about driving at night up here - all those moose wandering around!

Then, I have Monday and Tuesday off (yes, I take Halloween off - I'm totally serious that this is my favorite holiday), and maybe I'll write some then. I hope. Eeesh.
Have fun in Salem! I'm jealous! I just watched Hocus Pocus, one of my favorite seasonal movies. Hope your rabbit is ok, I love rabbits.

It's a winter wonderland here, we have an Alberta Clipper passing through heading to Minnesota, I can use that in my WIP since my story is set in Minnesota.
I'm letting the kids play hookey and I'm settling in to start writing. I'm off work for the next little while! yay me!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Have fun in Salem! I'm jealous! I just watched Hocus Pocus, one of my favorite seasonal movies. Hope your rabbit is ok, I love rabbits.

It's a winter wonderland here, we have an Alberta Clipper passing through heading to Minnesota, I can use that in my WIP since my story is set in Minnesota. I'm letting the kids play hookey and I'm settling in to start writing. I'm off work for the next little while! yay me!

Love Hocus Pocus! Some exteriors were shot in Salem, like the Common. Some also in Old Burial Hill in Marblehead, where I lived. Gorgeous old burying yard with rocky ocean views. Used to walk down there just to wander and relax.

Dunkin, my little dwarf bun, has some kind of chronic upper respiratory thing. He's on antibiotics when it kicks up, so does these tiny little coughs and sneezes. He's 11 years old, but acts like a kid. He's one of 5 buns.

Alberta Clipper! Native of Michigan, here. I've done my fair share of trick or treating in snow in the Great Lake State. Brrrrr! Cozy up and enjoy being shut in! :)

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I hope Dunkin is better soon! Thank heavens they started making liquid antibiotics for buns--I remember trying to chop up a tablet into bits to hide inside raisins in order to get my buns to take them, Usually they ended up eating the raisin and spitting out the sliver of pill!

It's my twin daughters' birthdays this weekend (the 29th and 30th)--they have their own birthdays, as one was born before midnight and the other after. I just wish the doctor had put off inducing me by a day, so that they could have had a Halloween birthday. :)

Jan, this story will probably end up around 7000 words. It's not a romance, though--it's a tongue-in-cheek historical ghost story.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe that ANYONE can do presentations that way. I doubt I will ever learn that art. However, I was quite proud of myself because this time around I did the whole presentation without referring to notes one single time. I just knew the material and was able to speak to my powerpoint slides easily. So that was pretty cool! There were times when my voice was getting a bit wobbly with nerves but then we had a technical malfunction, and once we came back from that for some reason I was all calm again. Weird. :p

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I hope Dunkin is better soon! Thank heavens they started making liquid antibiotics for buns--I remember trying to chop up a tablet into bits to hide inside raisins in order to get my buns to take them, Usually they ended up eating the raisin and spitting out the sliver of pill!

It's my twin daughters' birthdays this weekend (the 29th and 30th)--they have their own birthdays, as one was born before midnight and the other after. I just wish the doctor had put off inducing me by a day, so that they could have had a Halloween birthday.

Thanks for the good wishes for Dunkin! Oh, yeah! The PILLS. I used to crush them up and put them in applesauce, then syringe them down the poor bun's throat. It got to the point where they ran for the hills when they saw me take the lid off the applesauce jar. Now they get bubblegum or "tutti-frutti" goop. They're still not crazy about it, but at least they don't clamp those iron jaws shut now. You haven't lived until you've tried to medicate a rabbit.

How cool that your daughters were born one minute before and one minute after midnight! Happy birthday and many happy returns to them!

However, I was quite proud of myself because this time around I did the whole presentation without referring to notes one single time. I just knew the material and was able to speak to my powerpoint slides easily. So that was pretty cool!

Well done, yoghurtelf! And the best part is it's behind you. Good practice for your book signings and other personal appearances, yes? :)

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Ha--I WISH it had been one minute before midnight and one minute after! Try one half an hour before midnight and one an hour and a half after midnight!

One thing I've done with my buns is add organic banana extract to the liquid antibiotic--makes it a lot less objectionable.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I'm laughing about the buns and trying medicate them....I worked pediatrics for a good 5yrs....I know all about jaws clamping down and refusing to take meds! lol. We used applesauce on the chronic ward and my years at the nursing home.

Merri-sigh.....some Halloweens it's beautiful and warm, others its raining...well....right now we have a ruined autumn. The snow was wet and heavy and the trees are bent over and some are breaking from the weight. It looks beautiful....but my poor neighbors their gorgeous gigantic liloc trees are a mess :( The deer won't be happy that's for sure(we have lot's of urban deer) wow Michigan...we were practically neighbors!

Marissa- Happy Birthday to your girls! :partyguy: How old are they? I have twin boys they turn 12 in January. At first I read your post as seventy thousand...I was scratching my head thinking wow that's one long short story, but I see it's seven thousand! That makes more sense.

I spent the day writing(it takes me forever to write, I'm anal about looking things up.) So far I AM NOT back tracking, and its working, I'm finally able to progress along and not get sucked into the never ending edit loop. I did go back today and change a mc name, so I made myself look for the name only and not read the chapters.

My boys have gone for sleep over at their grandparents house(they love going there...she spoils them:) ) tomorrow there is no school(pd day) hubby is going for a snow shoe and I get to spend the day writing again....I've made it past the 10,000 word mark so I'm doing a happy dance. I know its not much but for me its huge. I'm on chapter 5 and feeling like maybe I can do this. I usually get stumped and fizzle and get sick of my characters so the fact I'm still liking them is huge.

Ok sorry for rambling, I just wanted to share.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ha--I WISH it had been one minute before midnight and one minute after! Try one half an hour before midnight and one an hour and a half after midnight!

One thing I've done with my buns is add organic banana extract to the liquid antibiotic--makes it a lot less objectionable.

Dang! I misread your post, Marissa! Yikes. Yep, one minute before and one minute after would have been a breeze, huh? Your second daughter seems to have been somewhat reluctant to abandon her comfy den. Especially since she then had room to stretch out! ;)

I'm going to try the organic banana extract. Once they get a load of that, they'll be malingering constantly just to get some.

Merri-sigh.....some Halloweens it's beautiful and warm, others its raining...well....right now we have a ruined autumn. The snow was wet and heavy and the trees are bent over and some are breaking from the weight.

I'm sorry your autumn has been ruined! We've had two days of torrential rain, but the sun is out. Yes, we were practically neighbors! My ex-husband was Canadian and his family lived in Ontario, so always border-hopping.

I've made it past the 10,000 word mark so I'm doing a happy dance. I know its not much but for me its huge. I'm on chapter 5 and feeling like maybe I can do this. I usually get stumped and fizzle and get sick of my characters so the fact I'm still liking them is huge.

I think 10K words is a milestone worth celebrating! :e2bear:

I get stumped and fizzle quite a bit because I hate doing grunt work to get through a blockage. I like the sparkly, fairy-dust inspired automatic writing that just happens! Once that peters out...I'm bored and frustrated. Then I get another sparkly idea and move on to that. It's awesome that you're 5 chapters in!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Thanks for the good wishes, you guys. :) Now I only have one scene left, so I think I can beat the end-of-October deadline I gave myself.

Tongue-in-cheek ghost story sounds perfect for the time of year. I'm sure you'll be treating yourself to Halloween candy for finishing it in time.

I spent the day writing(it takes me forever to write, I'm anal about looking things up.)

I'm also bad about looking things up, rather than putting a blank space or brackets in the text so I can just keep writing. It's like having a hangnail or a scab. I can't not pick at it.

I've made it past the 10,000 word mark so I'm doing a happy dance. I know its not much but for me its huge. I'm on chapter 5 and feeling like maybe I can do this. I usually get stumped and fizzle and get sick of my characters so the fact I'm still liking them is huge.

Congrats! And as Merri said, this is worth celebrating. There's always a point at which you know that the story has legs, and that you'll be able to see it through to the end. Good for you!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Gearing up for NaNoWriMo, and having second thoughts. I was going to work on a YA fantasy, but I've also got at least three M/M romance stories/novellas I should finish. I know there's a market for those and it has a quick turnaround, and I could use some income right about now (or 3-6 months from the book's release, which is how it works out :tongue ). Does it still count if those 50,000 words in a month get split between 3-4 different projects?

JadeDonovan

Sir Lurksalot
Registered
Reaction score
I am also prepping for NaNo this year--I have an outline done for an erotic romance that I don't like. I have a feeling I'll be spending most of November revising the outline instead of writing.

I also have a short story in progress and on track to be finished in November, edited through December, and published late December/early January.

It's been fun reading what everyone else is up to! Pterofan, it totally counts. I say go for it!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still not decided on which novel to write for NaNo. I had yet ANOTHER new idea the other night which I've written some notes for. ARGH, I say!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, you guys. :) Now I only have one scene left, so I think I can beat the end-of-October deadline I gave myself.
I'm also bad about looking things up, rather than putting a blank space or brackets in the text so I can just keep writing. It's like having a hangnail or a scab. I can't not pick at it.
I know I should make notes of what I need to look up and then just carry on. I always wonder if it really matters, but I think what if someone read it and thought "well that's wrong." I once read in a novel from one of my fave authors a sentence that said "she checked her insulin level" and it BUGGED me so bad and almost ruined the book. Diabetics don't check insulin levels they check blood sugar levels so they can administer proper insulin dose. A simple google search would have revealed this.

I've never done NANO, but I don't see why you can't get those 50k words done in whatever way you want. Go for it!
I agree^^^

I think I've fallen into the trap of worrying about not having any backstory that my mc is kind of flat and one dimensional. So I'm adding more info for her. I've read so many books tht have tonnes of back story and it works, it lets the reader see that the mc has a past. So I'm definitely tossing that rule, and will edit and purge later if I've put in too much that the writing gets bogged down.

My son said this morning..."if it's like this I might not go trick or treating" so you know its crappy weather when a 11yr old boy doesn't want to go out. It was so slippery today, I slid twice and a woman fishtailed coming at me. So I had to cancel one of my rural clients. I hate it when its like this!