How is everyone?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Still, I've a feeling I might break the streak this week, as it's going to be very busy, but I'm going to keep going as long as I can!

Life intrusions. Yuck. :tongue

This streak sounds wonderful. I'd love to experience that again.

@Merri, you're so right. Often it's the small things that spur big moments in stories. Happy hunting!

I get to checkmark one task. Revised mss of Novella 1 flew off to the editor today. Now back to 2, which is giving me major headaches. *sigh*

AAbboud

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with MerriTudor! That's awesome, Tanydwr!

As for me, I am brooding! I've been struggling with the last two chapters of my WIP. What began as last year's NanoWrite challenge is almost a completed novel at last. The challenge got me started, but the process has been tough. I've had to revise almost continually. I think I'm not a very good pantser. All the same, I love the characters and we've come too far together to give up now. So, I'm writing. Onward!

Last edited:

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
AAbboud, you've almost got it whipped! I wish I could be so close. Love your attitude despite the tough haul - here's a cup of cool water as you head toward the finish line of the marathon!

AAbboud

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! That cup of cool water is very much appreciated!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'M BACK!!!!

So it's just under two weeks, but we are home! Exhausted but home. Camp was wonderful my son has the fishing bug and we love pikeral so it's a win win!!!! I wrote every morning, I told hubby if I could just live at camp I could have this novel finished by the end of summer, but I can't live there so I'm back to work and the realities of life. I read three books and one that I started (#4) was terrible, I thought it was going to be really good and it wasn't.

So I'm on chapter ten, but I will have a tonne of holes and revision to fill. I'm trying not to edit, otherwise I'd still be on chapter one, I'm trying to reread the last chapter and then continue writing.

Merri- you should post the you tube link about the editing that you mentioned. Good luck with your research!

AABBound-:welcome:

Tany-I hope the streak stays!

Elaine-Congrats on sending Novella to the editor, I'm debating at the end of all of this if I should pay to have this thing edited by a professional, or if I should seek an agent first and then let them edit. I'm confused on that end of things.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Elaine-Congrats on sending Novella to the editor, I'm debating at the end of all of this if I should pay to have this thing edited by a professional, or if I should seek an agent first and then let them edit. I'm confused on that end of things.

Most people I hear speak on this say not if you're planning on trade publishing. To be clear, the editor I referenced in my post is at the publisher, not one I've hired. I think for SP it can be a wise investment. SL Huang (AWer) had her SP books edited even though they were VERY clean. (I betaed for her so I can attest to this.) Still, having a professional editor was important for her, to make sure they were as pro-quality as possible.

For someone set on querying an agent, there isn't a lot of reason to spend that kind of money, unless you will get a level of comfort out of it that you simply can't get any other way. Personally, every one of my (free, money wise, but of course I return beta so there is a time investment) beta readers is from AW and they're all super-competent. I've had incredible good fortune in finding them. (FWIW, none of them write romance, and it's been fine since my weaknesses are genre-less. ie: conflict-aversion :cry:)

Just thought I'd pop in to see if anyone is going to the RWA national conference next week. I absolutely love being around a bajillion other writers for four days. :)

Oh, have fun! And best of luck with your story! (What CE isn't saying is her book, Once and For All, is a RITA nominee in the Best First Book, Mid-Length Contemporary category! WOOT!) :partyguy:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CETchison- I wish I could go! Have fun and I'm super jealous!

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to find time to write romance #2 amidst trying to market and get reviews for number one. Keeping a notebook by the nightstand and in the kitchen in order to jot down scenes and dialogue. Using time to think and get deeper into my character charts so it seems like I'm 'moving forward and doing something productive." Hopefully, these little bits and pieces will help once I'm able to get back to typing into the computer...

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Elaine-Thank you for the tip on editors. I haven't decided if I'm going to try and retain an agent or not. If I don't and decide to sp then I think I will hire an editing service, I don't think I will attempt a beta, but maybe I'll change my mind I'm not sure.

I'm struggling with my writing now that I'm home. I can't get enough peace and quiet to actually write. Tomorrow I go back to work, I wish I could run away and be by myself for a few weeks, I think I'm just crabby right now. My work sometimes really stresses me out.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Melody, congrats on having book #1 out and book #2 in the chute!

CE – congrats on your RITA nomination! That must be so exciting – best of luck!

Jan – Sigh. My work stresses me out sometimes simply because it’s boring. I understand completely feeling the need to run away for a couple of weeks. Hope your return to the daily grind isn’t too bad!

Me? Still struggling with getting a first draft done. And wallowing in the “getting to know you” relationship phase between my MCs. I refuse to do the thing where they fall madly in love within hours/days of meeting, essentially because they’re both so hot they’re like a nuclear explosion waiting to happen. Each will be taking terrible risks to be with the other, and that usually doesn’t happen just because someone’s damn fine looking. Note that I said usually.

So I’m attempting to develop their relationship through proximity and conversation. Which means a heck of a lot of dialogue as they get to know and like each other, and that like turns to love. I’m great at the big emotional/confrontational/romantic scenes, but I’m rubbish at this stuff. For days they’ve been standing there mulling over opening lines and it’s something like this:

Jack: Ummm…

Georgianna: Errr….

Jack: Uh...ummm…

Georgianna: Hmmm.

Jack: Nice day, isn’t it?

Georgianna: Yes, it is.

Jack: Ummmm…

Georgianna: Well…

Jack: Great talking to you! See you later!

Georgianna: Yep.

UGH.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CEtchison- What is an RITA nomination? Congrats though...being nominated for something is awesome! Yes you're right too, I'm putting the cart before the horse. Although I sometimes find it motivating when I'm in a slump to spend time looking at cover photo's and googling publishers :)

Merri- think of Bridges of Madison County. They fell madly in love after four days and she almost left her husband and kids. I loved the book and the movie. I think its plausible for people to fall in love instantly. BUT I totally respect your view point to lengthen it out. I struggled with that with my mc's too. I had things happening too fast (like overnight fast) and now I've changed a few things and having her develop feelings after day four. They do have an instant mutual attraction, but they aren't "in love". LOL your dialogue!!!!!

Today was much better than I thought. I'm also reconnecting with my best friend which has been nice. We've been bff since age 14, we had our first babies together, we got married months apart and were each others matron of honour's but life gets busy and friendships take a backseat. I think of her like the old sweater you keep buried in your drawer, you never wear it but you know its there.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Jan - RITA Awards are basically the Oscars for romance authors. They're given out annually by the Romance Writers of America during the annual convention. It's a big fancy ceremony. People dress up. It's kind of a big deal in Romancelandia. :Trophy: Glad to hear your day is going better. It sucks when you can't find peace and quiet. I second Elaine re: not needing an editor if you're planning on querying agents. That said, after burning through all of my beloved betas on my first attempt at my current WIP, I'm considering hiring an editor so I won't have to ask anyone to read it a second time.

CEtchison - I said this already in your announcement thread, but I'll say it again: congratulations and best of luck!! :hooray:

Melody: Good luck with book 2. I always keep my phone handy for taking/catching notes. They have a habit of fluttering into my mind like little birds, and then soaring off just as quickly.

Merri: LOL! :roll:Characters can be so awkward, like improv actors with stage fright. I hope they relax and start flirting for you soon.

As for me, I've decided to take another shot at my second novel after receiving some encouraging notes from an editor (via a pitchfest) and a new beta who really enjoyed the story. I think I can do it justice this time around, and I'm determined to prove to myself that I can before starting a new project. Since I respond well to deadlines, my plan is to finish this rewrite by Christmas. After that, we'll see if I have the guts to start querying again. :scared:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Storyofwoe-thanks for the info!I love the idea of a deadline and that's great you're starting on another story.

CEtchison- Wow...that's so exciting....I have all my digits crxd for you!!! So how do the nominations work, is it broken down into sub-genres? What is your specific nom for? What a huge honour!!!!!

Ok I'm getting eaten alive by mosquito's I have no idea where the heck they are coming in from but I've killed five of the blood sucking pests!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cautiously optimistic today!

I sat down with a pen and paper (horrors!) to outline my MCs’ brief, clandestine meetings to lure them into true love. I don’t do pen and paper. Ever. And actually planning anything? Hah!

But…I think it’s working. No happy dance yet, but I’ve stopped grimacing. I have each meeting set down with the gist of the conversation and plot movement (which seems glacial), and have managed to get a gentle progression leading to the first stirrings of affection and (gasp!) the first kiss. I’ve left room on the outline to cut in the MCs’ daily life/subplots/secondary characters. I’ll then salt liberally with the MCs’ thoughts and emotions concerning their blossoming romance.

Up to now I’ve just been putting down whatever has been handed to me. This is my first taste of the real labor of writing. And labor is the word for it – it’s damned hard work! But it’s also kind of…fun? Uh-oh! Dare I even say that or will it jinx me with a crippling case of writer’s cramp?

And how is YOUR day going? :)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm tiptoeing around because hubby is nights....I HATE that! The kids are glued to you-tube.

I'm procrastinating on my writing, but I will get to it once I sort out where I'm headed and if I've started the novel off in the right place.

Merri-I will hand write chapters if something pops in my head and hubby is on the computer. Sometimes inspiration hits and I can't get on the computer so I'll hand bomb it. Or, if I'm really struggling with a thought or paragraph I'll go to my notebook. I find writing it by hand helps me sort it out better. That way I can scratch out a word yet still see the word I've scratched and I can really mess around with it. This is def a labour! There is nothing easy about writing, well the writing is easy it's the editing and revising and making it all make sense that's hard.

ps. I did throw up my first part of my novel in SYW on the Romance/Women's forum. If anyone wants to take a peek :)

Last edited:

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hand bomb! Never heard that before, but I like it.

I'm looking at the pages I scribbled out and they look grubby and tacky, not like the careful bits I type - and edit and revise as I go - on my computer. But I'm not as upset about that as I thought I would be. I accept that what I've written is imperfect and slapdash, but I got the heart of the matter down quickly and I can refine it later.

Maybe I can get comfy with this someday.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Evernight accepted my story!!!! Between that and finally getting a new(er) car yesterday, I iz a happy girl.

I've been playing around with a YA (fantasy, non-romance) story, but maybe I'd better get back to the M/M ideas and send them something else. Strike while the iron is hot.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hand bomb! Never heard that before, but I like it.

I'm looking at the pages I scribbled out and they look grubby and tacky, not like the careful bits I type - and edit and revise as I go - on my computer. But I'm not as upset about that as I thought I would be. I accept that what I've written is imperfect and slapdash, but I got the heart of the matter down quickly and I can refine it later.

Maybe I can get comfy with this someday.

Well usually hand bombing is a term we use when we're ice fishing, when you don't reel the line up with the reel but use your hand to pull the fish in(hand bombing is much faster when ice fishing) so it's a synonym for manual labour :)

Pterofan-Congrats!!!!!!!:hooray: I'm not sure I've told you this before and I may have in another thread......but I do love your avatar :)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm melting....its H.O.T here!!!!! We are under heat advisory....it's too hot for the beach, yucky gross humidity! 65% humidity and it's supposed to be 38 Celsius tomorrow. My kids are at their grans for sleep over, I have ac on and fan blowing on me. No writing today. Hubby is nights so it takes me forever to fall asleep, I'm exhausted. I did finish another Elin Hilderbrand book and will be starting another one tonight. She's a "new" to me author and I love her!