What software do you use for writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PostScript

Registered
Reaction score
I used word for a lot, but I'm looking into getting Scrivener now I'm getting serious with my writing.
It looks more tailored to an Author, especially their chapter-doc system.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Everywhere else, I use Google Docs. Docs is great because I can use it on any computer with an internet connection. I use it to write during my down time at work and on my phone while riding the bus.
If portability is key, then Writer's Cafe runs off a stick. It uses the PortableApps platform. Available for Windows, Apple, and Linux also.

Links:

http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/
https://portableapps.com/

-cb

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
Writing Software

What writing software do you use? What's your favorite thing about it?

I use MS Word on my iPad. I'm planning on getting a full Windows 10 or MacBook laptop. Would like some writing software where I can write the story in different segments, and drag/drop to reorder (rather than copy/paste dozens of lines)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I myself am still on MS Word on a 10 year old desktop PC. It does what I need it to, and I'm one of those writers that doesn't fall too far down the rabbit hole when it comes to research or too many tabs open in a browser. That aside, I've always been a little bit curious about the dedicated writing software such as Scrivener. I don't think I have the type of writing habits or preferences that would let me use all the extra options that software comes with, but I've always imagined it would be quite useful for people that like creating character profiles and dropping in notes and all the other things Scrivener seems to be so good at doing.

For comic or TV scripts, however, I use FinalDraft, but that's strictly for the formatting. I cringe at the thought of all those people writing in script format before it was all handled automatically by software.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I myself am still on MS Word on a 10 year old desktop PC. It does what I need it to, and I'm one of those writers that doesn't fall too far down the rabbit hole when it comes to research or too many tabs open in a browser. That aside, I've always been a little bit curious about the dedicated writing software such as Scrivener. I don't think I have the type of writing habits or preferences that would let me use all the extra options that software comes with, but I've always imagined it would be quite useful for people that like creating character profiles and dropping in notes and all the other things Scrivener seems to be so good at doing.

For comic or TV scripts, however, I use FinalDraft, but that's strictly for the formatting. I cringe at the thought of all those people writing in script format before it was all handled automatically by software.

Well Scrivener offers a 30 day free trial - that's 30 days of actual use.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
This topic comes up over and over again. I use PowerWriter. I purchased and installed Scrivener, but haven't used it. I like simpler software.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I use Scrivener for note-taking, world-building, and other back-of-house stuff - and I love it for that. It's a great way to keep track of everything, seeing as how I'm typically a jumbled mess. The actual writing I do in Word, simply because I'm so comfortable with the platform.

TStarnes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tstarnes.com
I use Novlr, since I don't use any organized outlining method and previous just worked out of word, outline and all. I like their writing features and word count tracking, and even with dropbox, I sometimes ran into problems with word syncing the files messing up. I've been pretty happy with it, and they're still adding features which is nice. (I do have to drop everything back into word for editing however, because I prefer having changes tracked)

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
After an unfortunate incident involving long time nerve damage, a glass of iced tea, and a fried something or other, I have a new laptop.

I've always used Word for writing. I like it, I'm comfortable with it, but now I don't want to pay to purchase it (or anything else) again.

Does anyone use Google Docs for their manuscripts? Pages? Thoughts/help?

Thank you!

I use google docs but some issues I have is formatting so I transfer it to word for that and I can't seem to do a "replace all" on google docs when I've changed something like a character's name for example.

I must agree with ap123 on this one - Scrivener is a brilliant program that's built with writers in mind. I was thinking about using MS Word before I got started on my first book, but then I asked myself, "There has to be software aimed at making the management of all the data that I would organize around my creation a lot easier." Because let's face it: Depending on the genre of your work you may likely have:

• various web sources that you're using for research,
  • texts copied from wikipedia or quora for future reference (more potential research, in other words),
  • photos and images for inspiration,
  • character sheets for your main and supporting characters.

And if you are one for managing an outline for your novel, you'd have that, too.

I wanted a solution that handled ALL of that, and I got that with Scrivener. It usually costs $40 (one-time purchase; you can sometimes find it on sale for as much as 50% off), but it's worth it.

EDIT: Regarding cloud storage, I've set up my instance of Scrivener to sync all content to my Google Drive account, allowing me to access and work on my book from both my desktop (at home, where I usually get most of my work done) and my laptop (because sometimes grabbing a table at the nearest empty lounge with wifi serves as a great place to work).

Does scrivener do proper formatting for you?

I used to use final draft for my screenplays but now word has a template that I use for free.

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
I use Scrivener, and yes it does do all kinds of formatting for you. It's a little byzantine ... you can specify output formatting at a variety of levels (section, chapter, scene), and define distinct formatting schemes for output to an ebook, print-out, PDF, probably a 100-foot biplane banner if you require one. I confess that having used it about five years, I still have to poke around twenty minutes the first time I output a novel to Word in order to get the formatting just right. But the power's there.

nrwriter

I like full stops.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nikolai.com.au
I use PyRoom. Plain text, full screen, no interface, no nothing. You and your words. I save files in MarkDown format so that I can format them any way I want.

FocusWriter and TextRoom are two other editors I use for a change of scenery. These two can spellcheck or even do rich text.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I use Scrivener, and yes it does do all kinds of formatting for you. It's a little byzantine ... you can specify output formatting at a variety of levels (section, chapter, scene), and define distinct formatting schemes for output to an ebook, print-out, PDF, probably a 100-foot biplane banner if you require one. I confess that having used it about five years, I still have to poke around twenty minutes the first time I output a novel to Word in order to get the formatting just right. But the power's there.

Thanks, just what I'm looking for.

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I made a conscious decision to take my writing seriously, I invested in an iMac and Scrivener + Scapple. Since then, the iMac's screen has broken so I've had to rely on Scrivener on my Windows laptop.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
When I made a conscious decision to take my writing seriously, I invested in an iMac and Scrivener + Scapple. Since then, the iMac's screen has broken so I've had to rely on Scrivener on my Windows laptop.

Which iMac do you have? You ought to be able to connect a second display, if it's the screen and not the card that's the problem.

Chloe007

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using MS Word since forever. It's easy to use. I also use OpenOffice, cuz it's free. But OpenOffice sucks a little. I recently dis-covered Scrivener and purchased it. Scrivener is awesome. There's lots and lots of youtube videos showing you the many ways you can use it!

Last edited:

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which iMac do you have? You ought to be able to connect a second display, if it's the screen and not the card that's the problem.

2012 edition with a 27" screen. I've never thought of connecting a second screen to it actually.

I miss writing on my DasKeyboard. :)

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I love google docs or word but I am writing a book now in Scrivener...still learning a bit but I feel very organized and can easily work on specific parts which seems to be working better for me overall. I set it to back up to my dropbox so a backup copy is made every time I close the program so I get sequential versions if I need them. I also backup to an external harddrive. There are some discounts online for both this and word.

Vhb_Rocketman

Registered
Reaction score
I use google docs for all my writing. It was the only way for me to actually start. I tried all kinds of programs on the computer but never had it around when the urge hit me. Then I started a google docs file on my phone. That allowed me to write one or two sentences where ever I was.

Since then I mostly moved over to writing on a tablet or computer, but I still write on my phone from time to time. When waiting for the bus or what not.

Google docs isn't anything fancy. It doesn't have all those fun features other programs have...but I've never found myself using those features. I like to create my own custom spreadsheets. It seems to work the best for me.

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
MS Word and Grammarly, trying Prowriting Aid since a few hours ago. Anyone else on Prowriting Aid?

Bajungadustin

Registered
Reaction score
Currently I'm using Simplenote. I looked for about 3 days and tried various programs to suit everything that I needed.

My requirements were;

1. Must have dark theme
2. Must have ability to turn off grammar and spell check options.
3. Must be available on my phone and computer/laptop
4. Must be under $100.00

Simple Note did all of this. Its available on 6 different platforms and it did something I didnt expect and that was a live saving instant sync feature. (if i jot down a note on my phone it will show up on my home computer almost instantly. AND IT WAS FREE!!!

I honestly can't say enough about this program.

-Keep each chapter on its own note on the left and easily jump from chapter to chapter.

-Built-in word search to make it easy to find a character name you are changing or anything.. works with [WIN]+[F] too.

-It has the ability to "Publish" a file to the internet with the click of a toggle switch if you want to share it long term or briefly.
I send the link to my chapters to select family members to get feedback. I then flick the switch back off and the link stops working for them.

-It is truly distraction free

-No pop-ups

-No adds

-FREE

-available in the browser also

-Built-in history for previous versions of documents

-Export to Zip's for hard backups

-Trashcan saves files in case you decide you need to get something back

-Supports markdown(if you're into that)

-also doubles as a good shopping list maker. I sit on my PC make a list and don't hit save or anything just walk away and pull it up on my phone when I get to the store and there it is.

Bajungadustin

Registered
Reaction score
MS Word and Grammarly, trying Prowriting Aid since a few hours ago. Anyone else on Prowriting Aid?

do you find grammarly has a scaling issue? Like the longer a sentence is the more off the red bars are? I've been using it the last day or so and it seems really off. The suggestions are on point but the red bars are sometimes 3 to 5 words away from the word they are supposed to be highlighting. Even in this post it did it.
2018-08-15_17-32-35.png

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I also like Scrivener. I would recommend new users stick to the blank template, which offers a shallower learning curve.

I totally agree with you on both points.

If one has access to Lynda.com and the learning modules within it, the Scrivener one is very easy to follow, short enough that it's manageable, hits all the high points, and throws in a few surprise functions as well--like a name generator.

CharlesXav

Registered
Reaction score
I just use Word but am very interested in Scrivener. I just worry that I already spend so much time in the clouds in regards to creating world maps, character bios and other information that it will just add more fuel to distract me from the actual NOVEL.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I just use Word but am very interested in Scrivener. I just worry that I already spend so much time in the clouds in regards to creating world maps, character bios and other information that it will just add more fuel to distract me from the actual NOVEL.

I am a fan and tend to bang on about what a great program I think it is, but I agree one can be distracted by all the bells and whistles.

You can try it out free for thirty days to see if it suits you. I would suggest you try the plain old blank template. Add what bells you need as you become more used to the software. It doesn't work for everyone, but I like the target wordcounts, which helps keep me on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.