Is my slang off putting for upper middle grade?

Reaction score
My MC is a 13 year old African American and uses slang. Do you think this will be off putting to agents and readers. And example:

A thug was leaning on the brick wall of a liquor store. He must have thought he was pretty cool with his square in his mouth, hat turned crooked, and pants barely hanging onto his waist. I watched him out of the corner of my eye and continued to play kick the can. He stood there with his brows scowling, his nose turned up, mean mugging me like any good thug. If you don’t know what mean mugging is, it’s when someone gives you the evil eye for no reason. I can't stand that: mean mugging. It's so stupid. Something for dunderheads and goons and losers and New Jersey.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The slang (I think mean-mugging should be hyphenated) doesn't bother me but breaking the fourth wall catches me a tad off balance. It's not needed, but I presume you do that throughout the tale.

My MC is a 13 year old African American and uses slang. Do you think this will be off putting to agents and readers. And example:

A thug was leaning on the brick wall of a liquor store. He must have thought he was pretty cool with his square in his mouth, hat turned crooked, and pants barely hanging onto his waist. I watched him out of the corner of my eye and continued to play kick the can. He stood there with his brows scowling, his nose turned up, mean mugging me like any good thug. If you don’t know what mean mugging is, it’s when someone gives you the evil eye for no reason. I can't stand that: mean mugging. It's so stupid. Something for dunderheads and goons and losers and New Jersey.

Reaction score
Yeah, it happens a few times. I initially didn't have that line, but threw it in incase the reader didn't know what mean mugging (mean-muggin) is. I'm also going to change square into cigarette. I used slang for voice but now don't think it's needed.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JAS- He stood there with his brows scowling, his nose turned up, giving me the evil eye for no reason. I can't stand that: mean-mugging. It's so stupid. Something for dunderheads and goons and losers and New Jersey.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with getting rid of "square" for cigarette, because I didn't know that's what it was. I'd also write "scowling" rather than "with his brows scowling." Otherwise, I like it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I also think this is better without the explanation of what mean-mugging is.

To go back to your original question, slang is fine if it's consistent and understandable, in context. If you drop in and out of it then that's not so good. But it won't put an agent off if it's done well.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that slang changes faster than standard English. The reader on the corner might get it today but be totally lost when the book comes out three years from now. I'm not saying not to use it. In MG, voice is everything. But be sure it's comprehensible to someone who may not be familiar with it and know that it will date your book at some point.

Otherwise, I like Bufty's edit. There's a way to explain to the reader without losing the voice or breaking the wall.

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that slang changes faster than standard English. The reader on the corner might get it today but be totally lost when the book comes out three years from now. I'm not saying not to use it. In MG, voice is everything. But be sure it's comprehensible to someone who may not be familiar with it and know that it will date your book at some point.

Otherwise, I like Bufty's edit. There's a way to explain to the reader without losing the voice or breaking the wall.
Yeah, we were discussing this over at critique circle.

http://www.critiquecircle.com/forums.asp?action=viewforum&index=1&thread=1255542&offset=30
Don't know if you will be able to see the thread.

Dating was a concern of mine as well.