I've had it: Giving up to maintain my sanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I hope writing becomes fun and fulfilling for you again Ben.

Sorry it didn't work out but you had a go and gave it your all, that's something to be proud of despite the results.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, I have been thinking of you and agree that you're making the right decision for you.

I remember your struggles with one of your publishers, and how difficult you found that too--just as so many other writers did.

You got through that, and you'll get through this.

Take care of yourself.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, You made a tough decision to put your emotional and mental health first! I wish you the best. Thank you for leaning on your AW friends. We're always here to buoy you. {hug}

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Above all, I think writing should be something you generally enjoy, something you would do even if no paycheck is involved. If publishing and self-publishing are taking the fun out of it, I'd say it's time to step back. You might change your mind at some point, but right now, I think you're making the best decision for your sanity.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, rwm. This is a good decision for Ben.

Process before product, every time.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Ben, sorry to hear about your struggles, but just wanted to chime in with support for your decision.

Some folks look at me funny when I describe self-publishing as being at times soul-crushing, but it really can be. Just remind yourself during this tough time that good books that are well written and enjoyable sometimes don't sell. There's a very strong current in self-pub that would argue with me on that point and I think that "it's you" mindset can make struggling for sales even harder than it has to be and even more depressing than it already is. Stepping back from that pursuit of sales and focusing on just writing for your own pleasure should help a lot in letting you deal with your depression.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm so sorry, bud. I really hope this helps you re-find the joy in writing. You deserve to be happy with your words again, and I have full confidence in it happening.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Everyday we are bombarded with "motivational" messages. Never give up. Never quit. Persevere. Some people do in fact give up too easily, and need to hear that. Some people have no sense of the journey, and thus don't know when to give up. Rare, I think, is that person who understands their journey, and knows when to stop it. It's not really giving up. It's more of taking time to rest, refocus, and decide if a different journey, on a different path, is awaiting.

Kudos to you, Ben, for having that self-awareness and understanding of your journey. I suspect we'll be hearing about your resumed journey, on a different path, in the future.

Best Regards,
NDG

Last edited:

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
Take a break. You'll probably be back. And I think you should, but you definitely need a break. Forever is extreme. Don't deny yourself something you enjoy. Best wishes.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
It's good that you can recognize when you need to step back and evaluate how things are going. Even better when you can recognize that it's time to call it quits on something you've spent so much time and effort on. It can be excessively hard to stop something like that, even when you know it's the best thing for you.

I do hope you'll stick around though. You can lean on all of us here at AW for support in this difficult time, and you may find it somewhat therapeutic to share your experiences so others can learn from you.

Regardless, I wish you all the best in the future. Get some rest and try to relax.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having received one more royalty payment from Draft 2 Digital (which will keep me in Diet Mountain Dew for as long as I can hold the bottle), I've delisted the ebooks and flagged them in Bowker for OOP status as of Sept. 30 (it takes about two to three days, maybe even a smidge longer, to work through the outlets. I gave the date for all intensive porpoises). As of tonight, both titles are no longer available and I can begin to worry about shutting down the business side of things. At least that can roll along in the background with very little monitoring.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this movement in a new direction is helping your depression to lift, Ben. Still here, still sending positive vibes. :Hug2:

stewstunes

Registered
Reaction score
This is the same feeling I've been battling for some time now, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet on Self-Publishing. I've been thinking about just updating on wattpad/tapas and letting it ride there without worrying so much about (newly) traditional ebook + createspace. For now Onward and Upward...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think we're done here.

Ben, if you'd like me to reopen this just drop me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.