I've had it: Giving up to maintain my sanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After having had two publishers fold, I decided to go the self-pub route. About two years later, I'm giving up. I quit. I have had it. I can no longer maintain any interest in something that's draining my strength and creative desire to continue writing. I've done everything in my limited power but over the years, I've put much, much more money into maintaining my two books than I've gotten back. The return on investment includes a serious depression that my writing career has contributed to so I'm just going to start bailing out. I'm throwing in the night and calling it a towel. That's a wrap, kids. It's done. It's over. It's Casper. The paperbacks are no longer available for sale as of yesterday and I'll be pulling the e-books before the end of 2017. It's been a long, slow, painful ride and I can't do this to myself any longer. Godspeed to all of you who can and have made it work; I'm admitting defeat before I fall apart completely and so I can try to reclaim the joy that I once experienced when sitting down to the keyboard.

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you've been going through this. I hope you find the joy again. <3

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up too much. Nothing's worth it if it stops you loving the writing thing.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hugs, Ben. The joy is ultimately more important than anything else. Kudos for recognizing that and reclaiming your life. I hope find joy and peace in writing for yourself.

That's all I did for nearly 25 years, and I'm better for the experience.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((hugs)))) As a fellow author with one of your failed publishers, my hat's off to you for the work you put in with the publishers and self-publishing. I wish it had worked out how you had wanted.

What's next for you? I hope you stick around here and participate; we like you! I haven't written a word in three years now. As much as the urge bubbles up once in a while, I'm not overly worried about it and filling the time with reading, biking, and other things I find enriching.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you stopping writing, Ben, or are you just stopping being a self-publisher? I would think writing is very hard to stop.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your next adventure. I hope it brings you happiness, whatever it may be!

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I want to clarify I am NOT giving up writing. Just the self pub. That's going to be phased out but I could never quit writing entirely. It is my one true passion, the talent that I was given. I'm just done with the worry of doing things right or what more do I need to do for a business I'm running to become more fruitful. Self pub is not working and from a personal standpoint, it's what needs to go first.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a break, or maybe it is permanent. I've only been at this for a short while (seriously writing anyhow) and there are times I want to throw my lap top in the lake and then scream at the top of my lungs! I can see how writing and trying to make a living at it could be extremely stressful. I wish you the best and hope you find the joy you're looking for.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Sounds like you've had a rough time. I can understand how the whole self-pub thing can be tough on a person. I'm fighting my obsessive nature. Every hour or two, I'll check my KDP page to see if I've sold any more books. I don't think that's healthy, and I hope I can start to curb the temptation.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on having the presence of mind to realize this isn't working for you, and for finding the strength to let go and take a step back. I'm sure it has felt like an impossible decision at times. You've put so much time and effort into this, and what do you have to show for it? You have the work, certainly, and that's something. But if it were all about the work, we wouldn't worry so much about selling it. It takes courage to admit defeat, so once again, I say, bravo.

So much of this business involves doing whatever it takes to keep our spirits up. To keep the words flowing while we hold our chins above water, limbs flailing below the surface as we holler into the ether. Sometimes all that shouting gets you heard, but a lot of the time, it doesn't, and the worst thing you could do is let your frustration with self-publishing exacerbate your depression and spoil your love of writing altogether. There are multiple avenues to success, however you define it. Take the time you need to mourn this loss, and then get back to the keyboard. Because that's what writers do, and you're still a writer, dammit.

This is just a bump in the road. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, I'm so sorry you're feeling so stressed. I think you've made a very wise decision, if publishing is making you feel so very bad. I do hope things improve for you soon, and that all goes well for you.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about you, friend. Hope the road you are now on gives a smoother ride and that all works out well for you. All the best, Ben.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, Ben. Hopefully with this decision things will get better. It's good to hear you're not giving up writing all together.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo what everyone has said. I'm sorry publishing was such hell hole for you and I'm glad you are still going to write. Be gentle with yourself. :Hug2:

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you, compadre. Do what you have to.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you've had a rough time, Ben, but I'm glad you're not giving up writing. That would be a tragedy.

Wishing you fulfillment and an easier road ahead.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, Ben. There are plenty of things I could say along the lines of "I know it's tough," but they all sound kind of hollow to someone in the moment.

Do what you need to in order to take care of yourself, and if you can, find a way to keep writing that feeds into your soul instead of feeding off of it or off your mental energy. It might sound counter-intuitive, but something with no pressure - like fanfic writing, or display site writing, or even just blog writing might help give you a recharge. Just find something you love and focus on it.

It's not much, but have a virtual hug.:Hug2:

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JFC[sup]10[/sup]. Unpublishing is going to be as much work as publishing...

Continued thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Finally admitting I need to move away from the self publishing plunged me deeper into my depression. I felt/feel like such an abject failure at everything. I'm just one more statistic in the game and it only goes to show that I honestly don't have the skills necessary to succeed.

However.

Some very good friends and family have basically taken rocks to my cranium to remind me it's just this one thing that didn't work out, and I need to separate myself from it. It's too easy to say this is Who I Am™ and it's my whole being, but they've pointed out I've recognized it's weighing down on my psyche to the point I know I need to walk away from it. Luckily, I'm giving myself the time to grieve the loss (yes, it's a grieving process for me) and even more time to build myself back up from it. It's going to take a while but I think I'll pull through and continue to poop rainbows e'er long.

Again, thank you, everybody. You've been great. :LilLove:

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I want to clarify I am NOT giving up writing. Just the self pub. That's going to be phased out but I could never quit writing entirely. It is my one true passion, the talent that I was given. I'm just done with the worry of doing things right or what more do I need to do for a business I'm running to become more fruitful. Self pub is not working and from a personal standpoint, it's what needs to go first.

So this might come off as a strange question, but have you considered still self-publishing without worrying about making a career out of it? That might sound strange, but if you plan to keep writing, you've already created a platform and you can just continue to publish books you've enjoyed writing at a pace you are comfortable with, without the pressure of trying to make deadlines to help sales and such.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quite honestly, I can't. I got off easy on releasing the two books I have because they'd been published before so the editing had already been done. Once the rights reverted, it was just a matter of getting new ISBNs for them, getting new cover art, formatting them for release, and sending them out into the wild. I no longer have neither the time nor the resources to continue the endeavor; it's drained too much from me and my soul and even if I wanted to, the finances aren't there without amassing a huge amount of debt I'm trying to avoid. In the end, I'm not cut out for self-pub so I'd rather admit that than continue to beat myself about the head and shoulders to make something that isn't working somehow and miraculously turn around.

TMI WARNING:
My two books were released on various self-pub formats in 2014-2015. It's nearly three years and almost $10,000 (mostly in promotion opportunities and yearly appearances at a convention) later to claim less than $200 in royalties. I can't keep that up. And the pressure I'd been putting on myself has all but sapped my creative desire to continue writing (since I went to RT Booklovers Convention in April 2016 and this year in May, it's taken that long for me to squeeze one chapter out of my system. ONE chapter. Even then, it has to wait for edits because it's still not really what I want). I may sound a little hyperbolic or laying on the drama a bit too thick but the biggest worry in my life has been this self-pub effort. It's contributed to my recent bout of depression (upgraded from clinical to severe) and I can't write around it; I have to face it head on and like many sources of my life's challenges, it needs to be completely excised. There's no way for me to work with it any longer. I'd thought about it and the first thing that occurred to me is what my accounting workbooks look like. Then I looked at the return on the investment and while many don't recoup anything for their efforts, I finally said to myself "this is fucking NUTS".

When I finally made the decision about two weeks ago to begin the process of shutting everything down, it really, really hurt. It hurt because I had to admit I wasn't successful at something (again) and the roots began to dig a little further into my creative desires. I shut down for about 24 to 48 hours but finally pulled out of it when I reminded myself the self-pub isn't who I am. I knew I wasn't going to make a metric shit tonne of money from it and I knew the ROI would be infinitesimal but I hadn't realized how microscopic it was going to be. Because it's been eating at me so much for so long, it has to be shut down. I can't find a compromise to keep it going without it further destroying me and my desire to keep writing. Since I'd decided to stop, there have been some brief flashes of creativity but I need to get back into that pattern again. It's going to take me a while but it's going to happen.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're being remarkably sensible, Ben. Self-publishing isn't writing - it's a whole different skill-set and one that most writers don't have. Take gentle care. Remember you have lots of people who love you. :Sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.