JulyNoWriMo 2017 - Come Sit By the Campfire (or Not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Campers and Non-Campers alike! Whether you're doing Camp NaNo this month or not, you're welcome to join in this thread to state your goals for the month (writing, reading and everything else), and both get and give encouragement to your fellow AWers throughout the month of July.

I'm holding over many of my goals from June, which wasn't a terribly productive month for me. Hoping July will be better!

1. Write back cover blurb and fill out other various publisher forms for Book #3 - about halfway done
2. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been - 0 of 2
3. Read five books - 0 of 5
4. Get at least 10k words written on rough draft of Book #5 - currently 2,470
5. Continue social media push for the release of Book #1 in August - in progress

This feels like "not enough goals" but my brain is not cooperating this morning. I'll probably add more as the month goes on.

So...what are YOUR goals for the month?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm participating in Camp, as usual. My goal is 60,000 words.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I'm participating in Camp as well, adding 15000 words to an ongoing project and hoping to build up some consistency (and confidence) after not doing too well with my June plans.

Goals for this month:

[ ] Write 15k of 'The Nightmare Box' for Camp NaNo.
[ ] Read 4 books (1 classic/literary, 1 nonfiction, 1 short story collection, 1 free choice).
[ ] Write a 1000-word short story.
[ ] Stay up-to-date with all my study-related tasks.
[ ] Blog my Camp NaNo progress (last post July 1st).

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Right. Hoping to do better at this.

[ ] Clean my office.
[ ] Finish the edit and format of the manual.
[ ] Finish short story.
[1] Camp NaNo (hit daily goal for 31 days)

Constant Goals:
[ ] Changing sleep cycle; focus on night.
[26] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
No camping for me this month, just focusing on my massive reading to-do list before the Hugo Award deadline aaauuuuughhhahhhh.

Writing

[ ] 10k total wordage.

Reading
Read three books:
[ ] Finish Chasing Embers
[ ] Finish Obelisk Gate
[ ] Read Small Angry Planet

Health
[ ] Weigh-in at sub-140lbs.
[ ] Hit -60lbs lost.

TV/Movies
[ ] Watch Stranger Things
[ ] Watch Hidden Figures

Last edited:

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
I'm participating in Camp for the first time (woo!), so keeping the goal list short and sweet.

- Write 20k words for the WIP
- Read two books

Peggles

Registered
Reaction score
I am participating this year. I am rewriting a book I wrote earlier this year, and my goal is to add 50,000 more words to what I already have, which should get me to the end.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Peggles and ReignaFTW! Welcome to our little corner of AW!

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing camp. I've committed to 30 hours, figuring one hour per day should be enough to get me to the end. But since this is my first time using this method, does anyone know how you validate your hours at the end of the month?

So my goals this month are:
1. 30 hours of writing
2. Read two books - one down.
3. Two blog posts.

Keeping it simple just to see if it can increase my writing mojo.

sarillia

Registered
Reaction score
I've got the standard 50k word goal set on the Camp NaNo site, but my main goal is just to write at least a little every day. So far so good.

Peggles

Registered
Reaction score
How is it going for everyone so far? On track? Behind?

I'm on track, although I hit a slow patch the last few days. I hope to make that up today and (hopefully) get ahead this weekend.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Peggles - glad to know you're on track.

July hasn't been too bad for me thus far. Book #1 of my fantasy series went live for pre-orders on Thursday, and I spent all morning on the computer doing social media blasts and responding to well-wishers. Actually sold a few books, too!

On the reading front, I finished an anthology of horror and dark fantasy (it was a mixed bag) and the final Discworld book, THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN. I'm so sad to be done with the series; I really enjoyed it, even coming late to it as I did. Granny Weatherwax was my favorite character and I'm pleased she got such a royal sendoff. I often used the Discworld books as a reward when I'd gotten through a tough job - now I'll have to find myself a new treat.

I went to lower Manhattan yesterday, to the neighborhood around Union Square. Had lunch with a friend, did a little shopping and in general just explored. So that's one NYC jaunt down. I also walked all the way downtown from my place in midtown - about 30 blocks, which might not sound like much but it translated to a couple of miles. I walked part of the way back but by then I was encumbered with shopping bags, so I treated myself to a cab for the rest of the trip.

I haven't done any writing, except for finishing up the production packet for my publisher for Book #3. I've added another goal below because this week we'll announce the acquisition, so I have to be poised with still more social media blasts, while continuing to toot the publicity horn for Book #1's August 1st release. This is why I decided against doing Camp this month - I was pretty sure my writing time would be limited.

1. Write back cover blurb and fill out other various publisher forms for Book #3 - DONE
2. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been - 1 of 2
3. Read five books - 2 of 5
5. Continue social media push for the release of Book #1 in August - in progress
6. Do social media blast for publisher acquisition of Book #3 - in progress

Last edited:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Better late than never, eh? :'O

[ ] Re-plot the whole end section of my three part Cerberus Club Official Trilogy of one story (trust me, it needs it!).
[ ] Make a retro-active scene-list for the whole of my first part (again, necessary!).
[ ] Read, beta, review, consume at least one entire story that isn't an anime! D:
[ ] Also watch some animes though, because, like, I can, and stuff! :D

There! That's tha P-L-N for this month, let's see how it goes... :eek:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
[ ] Write 15k of 'The Nightmare Box' for Camp NaNo.
[ ] Read 4 books (1 classic/literary, 1 nonfiction, 1 short story collection, 1 free choice).

[*] Write a 1000-word short story.
DONE!
[ ] Stay up-to-date with all my study-related tasks.
[ ] Blog my Camp NaNo progress (last post July 1st).

First goal completed for the month. I've also passed 5k for Camp NaNo, which is also 30k for the project as a whole, and I'm a bit over halfway through the urban fantasy I'm reading for my 'free choice' item.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Posting a little late! No camping for me this month, just my normal goals.

I had family visiting at the start of the month and gave myself a few days off then rather than trying to fit something in and stressing out. But I finished up one chapter already. It was a long one, and the next is short so hopefully I'll get that done this week.

Game planning is, as ever, roaring along. Quite glad that this Tuesday session was cancelled though since I did rather need more time to figure some stuff out.

WIP is started again! It's only 500 more words written as yet so not really gotten back into, but I know where the chapter is going and what needs to happen, and I've been mentally playing out some later scenes which is much, much better than the complete roadblock I'd run into with it.

Reading is... not so good. I'm reading Whispers Underground, the third in the Ben Aaronovitch series. I'm enjoying it when I do pick it up, but I'm finding it really easy not to pick up. And have been all month. Also it's due back at the library tomorrow and I can't be bothered reading it tonight so probs going back unfinished.

1. Edit four chapters. 1/4
2. Get back into WIP. Looking likely.
3. Game planning. Yes. Still need more.
4. Read five books. 0/5
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day (with the exception of my short holiday at the start of the month). So far!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly check-in!

[-] Clean my office.
Actually made some progress here! In that I filled one box with stuff I'm keeping, but moving to storage.​
[-] Finish the edit and format of the manual.
Progress here as well. Not as much as I'd like and I need to make this my highest priority this week, but it's a start.​
[ ] Finish short story.
[9] Camp NaNo (hit daily goal for 31 days)
Bit of a rough patch, as I managed to bore myself which is never good, but I think I'm through that now.​

Constant Goals:
[ ] Changing sleep cycle; focus on night.
Total fail. I've been forced to turn Freedom back on and then not let myself close it when the "go to bed" block starts. Hopefully that will help.​
[27] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).
Half-way there!​

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm unexpectedly finding myself doing writing things in July, so I guess I'll add them.

[ ] Reread versions 3 & 4 of Taylor-Made - v.3 done yesterday, version 4 in progress
[ ] Revise version 4 to incorporate version 3 elements I prefer, or just revise out the stuff I don't like from 4
[ ] Send out 10 more queries
[ ] Get to book 70 - at 63 finished books atm

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
[x] Reread versions 3 & 4 of Taylor-Made - Now I just have to figure out what to do with it
[ ] Revise version 4 to incorporate version 3 elements I prefer, or just revise out the stuff I don't like from 4
[ ] Send out 10 more queries - 2 sent

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Tying myself in knots a bit this week -- the Hugo deadline is 6AM Saturday so I'm burning through as much as I can, and knowing I just don't have the time to read through as much as I want. Boo.

It's also been a rough couple of weeks for eating healthy & keeping up my exercise levels. Lots of going backwards instead of forwards. :( But I'll get back on top of it.

Writing

[2.5k] 10k total wordage.

Reading
Read three books:
[x] Finish Chasing Embers
[x] Finish Obelisk Gate
[ ] Read Small Angry Planet

Health
[ ] Weigh-in at sub-140lbs.
[ ] Hit -60lbs lost.

TV/Movies
[3 of 8] Watch Stranger Things
[x] Watch Hidden Figures

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tying myself in knots a bit this week -- the Hugo deadline is 6AM Saturday so I'm burning through as much as I can, and knowing I just don't have the time to read through as much as I want. Boo.

Go go go EMaree!

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
It's also been a rough couple of weeks for eating healthy & keeping up my exercise levels. Lots of going backwards instead of forwards. :( But I'll get back on top of it.

I think it's awesome and brave you're posting your health goals here. You got this!

Figured I'd check-in since we're about halfway through the month. Here's where I'm at:

- 6,800 out of 20k words for the WIP/Camp NaNo
- 1 book out of 2 read

Busy July of rowing regattas, weddings, and work conferences, but definitely committed to spending some quality time with the MS! Will make another dent in the WIP wordcount this weekend, since I'm (finally) not traveling.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
[x] Reread versions 3 & 4 of Taylor-Made - Now I just have to figure out what to do with it
[ ] Send out 10 more queries - 7 sent

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's mid-July, folks! How's your month been thus far? Especially interested in hearing from our Campers; so wishing I'd been able to participate this time.

Still haven't had the time or focus to write. Most of my creative energy has been spent flogging the 8/1 release of Book #1 in my series and the acquisition of Book #3. I have a day off Monday; hoping the down time and my muse will cooperate so I can get some words down.

I finished yet another book: A TIME TO DIE: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE KURSK TRAGEDY. It's an excellent study of the 2000 sinking of the Russian submarine Kursk, and the tangle of politics, technology and paranoia that crippled the rescue attempts. Very accessible reading, even in the technical details. Next up is THE CATCHER IN THE RYE, which I managed to avoid all through high school, so it's well past time that I read it.

I have a niece coming to visit the end of the month, which should be both fun and stressful. She's a bit of a country mouse, and I expect I may have to hand-hold with her a bit - and with my August 1 release date coming on the heels of her visit, that's going to put my time at a premium.

1. Write back cover blurb and fill out other various publisher forms for Book #3 - DONE
2. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been - 1 of 2
3. Read five books - 3 of 5
6. Do social media blast for publisher acquisition of Book #3 - DONE

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
[x] Send out 10 more queries

Querying's so much more fun than editing.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
So my goals this month are:
1. 30 hours of writing - 13 down.
2. Read two books - one down.
3. Two blog posts - complete.

My laptop battery fried itself, but I was lucky I had another I could switch to and everything was backed up apart from the one scene I was writing at the time. I am now adjusting the settings on the other laptop so I can get back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.