Jovial July - 500 words a day writing/editing - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sorry about your wrist, Saoirse - I hope it sorts itself quickly.

Dove into actual edits today (one can only procrastinate for so long!). Made notes on a couple of chapters, and edited Chapter 1. Grand total word count: -1. I am amazing.

I also still owe SYW an updated blurb. Not that I'm procrastinating or anything.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Go everyone!

Finally got moved in and relatively settled. (Now comes the renovations.) I didn't have internet for the last 5 days but I'm happy to be back and with internet. Still exhausted and I don't see that changing for the next little while. The house was built in the late 1800s, renovated last in 1970s... it's got carpet throughout, wood paneling, and harvest gold appliances. And nothing quite seems to work... Definitely requires an update. Somewhere in all this madness, I shall find the words.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Liz - Thanks! It's feeling better now. You're still making progress which is the most important thing.

Brechin - Sounds like a challenge! I'm sure it will be amazing once all the work is done.

457 words on the new novel last night.

And...I found out yesterday that it's very likely that I'm getting laid off at the end of the month. Which is fast approaching. :(

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad the move went well, Brechin. Good luck with the renovations - and the word count. :greenie

Saoirse - so sorry about the job. :Hug2:Hope something else turns up for you soon.

Bet ya can't guess what I've been doing the last few days? Yup, still changing the POV in WIP#1. (Almost there, though.:hooray:)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Brechin, I suspect your house would remind me of the one I grew up in! Good luck with everything.

Yay on the new novel, Saoirse, and ouch and sorry about the layoff. :( Fingers crossed other opportunities will come together soon.

Go, muse! :e2cheer:

Did a nice big chunk of edits today. It's slow on this book, and fatiguing, but I think it's going OK so far. I figure it'll take me maybe 2 weeks to get through the whole thing, and then I'll need at least one more consistency pass, but that's not so bad, really.

Word count change: +614.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did a nice big chunk of edits today. It's slow on this book, and fatiguing, but I think it's going OK so far. I figure it'll take me maybe 2 weeks to get through the whole thing, and then I'll need at least one more consistency pass, but that's not so bad, really.

Word count change: +614.

Nice work on the edits, liz. You really do put me to shame. I'll probably need another few days to do my POV changes. As for edits...they def take me more than 2 weeks.

No progress today so far, but I'm hoping to get some work done later this evening.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Nice work on the edits, liz.

I have a bit of an external deadline - someone in the book's food chain is going on leave in a few months, and I want to get it finished before they take off. So I am grindstoning as much as I can without getting so exhausted that I start rushing.

I'm not even sure that made sense. I hope your evening gave you some time, muse!

Another bunch of pages today. Anya, my MC, has a voice that requires some care - I love her, but she's slow to write. Still - I'm through 70 pages out of 366, which isn't too bad, although that's pushing my 2 week goal.

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Have started work on Draft 2. The first three chapters edited this week, but to be fair not many changes needed in the beginning of the book. It's the middle and end that will need major work.

And as an aside I've had to take my book covers out of my signature. Have had to come off photobucket and I haven't figured out how to make thumbnail images with Flickr.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, Shara! :e2cheer:

You can upload an image directly from your computer now (I think this happened at the last site update), but you do have to edit it first.

Not a hugely productive day. I edited 2 chapters, and then decided to delete one, and although I'm pretty sure that's the right decision, I'm sort of unsettled by it and need to think about the next section. So I'm at 80/366 pages now - too slow! But still moving. :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers all progress:

Thank you for your support and encouragement. I believe my last day will be next Friday.

I'm...coping. Trying mostly to keep myself busy. Been writing. No huge amounts, but I've written every day this month. I am also trying to get more editing jobs lined up.

It's going to be so strange not to be there anymore. :(

In cheerier news, my first book, Fey Touched, is free right now. /shameless plug

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That's quite a word count, EMaree! :hooray:

Fingers crossed for the editing jobs, Saoirse. :Hug2:

Edited two chapters and added another one. +1082 at this point, and 94 pages. This is such a weird book - I feel like so much is happening in every chapter, and I'm also afraid it's too slow. I lack objectivity.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, Saoirse!

Well, I put back the chapter I'd taken out, and changed it a little, and did a few downstream changes, so officially I didn't get through any more pages, but I did add 1,823 words to the total.

Tomorrow I'm driving an hour to meet family for lunch, so I probably won't have a hugely productive day, but since I have to think about forthcoming edits that's probably OK. :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good job, Liz. And thinking's always good.

I got another editing job! It's a smaller one, but every one counts. :)

1,914 words and made my Camp Nano goal of 10k.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice progress everyone!

I haven't managed to get much work done on WIP#1 this weekend, which is frustrating because I'm so close to finishing the POV changes. *Sigh*

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
As expected, I got very little done today. I made a small change to the end of one chapter, but it was maybe a paragraph. Scrivener, however, seems to think I added 2,000 words, and I don't know why, but I guess I'd rather have words randomly appear than disappear. :)

Anyway. Grindstoning tomorrow.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As expected, I got very little done today. I made a small change to the end of one chapter, but it was maybe a paragraph. Scrivener, however, seems to think I added 2,000 words, and I don't know why, but I guess I'd rather have words randomly appear than disappear. :)

Anyway. Grindstoning tomorrow.

Maybe you sleep typed, liz? :greenie

Worked on a short story today - 1,207 words.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sleep typing couldn't make it any worse. :sleepy:

Nice work on the short, muse!

I walloped the daylights out of the first 30K because I'm still thinking about revisions on the next bit. And I miss my WIP #2 characters and may have to wander over there for a while to stay sane.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I...kind of did eff all today. Although we did pick blueberries and peaches, and I had a nice nap. Tomorrow! Really!!

Excellent words, Saoirse! :e2cheer:

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I...kind of did eff all today. Although we did pick blueberries and peaches, and I had a nice nap. Tomorrow! Really!!

Excellent words, Saoirse! :e2cheer:

Picking blueberries and peaches is work - yummy work. :drool

No words to report yesterday, but hoping to work on my short story again today.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hope your words went well today, muse. :e2cheer:

At long last I edited another chapter, which is to say I moved bits of later chapters into a new chapter and trashed the one that had been there. It wasn't a ton of work, but I've been feeling mightily blocked on this edit, so yay, a victory! 100/366 now.

And rather randomly, I started writing a short story. I know the beginning and the ending, and am working out the middle. Thinking of doing the "toss it on the web site" thing when it's done, if I like it at all.

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yay for being unblocked and the short story, Liz!

muse - Hope you were able to make progress on the short.

979 words on Oubliette today and broke 20k! For a book that's been languishing at 12k for 7 years, that's awesome!

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At long last I edited another chapter, which is to say I moved bits of later chapters into a new chapter and trashed the one that had been there. It wasn't a ton of work, but I've been feeling mightily blocked on this edit, so yay, a victory! 100/366 now.

And rather randomly, I started writing a short story. I know the beginning and the ending, and am working out the middle. Thinking of doing the "toss it on the web site" thing when it's done, if I like it at all.

Yay for victories, liz. Hope the short story goes well.

979 words on Oubliette today and broke 20k! For a book that's been languishing at 12k for 7 years, that's awesome!

Whoo-hoo! Congrats, Saoirse.:Jump:

I did some work on my short story last night, now it's percolating in my mind. (I don't like the intro, but haven't come up with anything better yet.)