Jovial July - 500 words a day writing/editing - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Continuing the happiness theme, because...um...okay...work with me here, people.

How was June? Did you meet your goals? Exceed them? Change them? How does it all look to you now? Share your experience!

What's on deck for July?

Go, team! :e2cheer:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
June was a thing, and although I got plenty of words done, I'm not sorry to see the back of it. Eyes forward, no hesitation, right?

I'm trying to move up the timeline on WIP #1 and get the first draft done mid-month. I don't have a good sense yet of how long this is going to go, so that's either way too much time or not nearly enough.

I've restarted (mostly) WIP #2, and I'm not yet sure where it'll go, but I like where I'm starting it and I'm having fun with it.

So for July:

- Finish WIP #1 (~120,000 words) and start an aggressive revision
- Make some real progress on WIP #2 - let's say 20,000 words
- Be more cheerful overall, because I'm crappy company when I'm not

Let's go! :hooray: :hooray:

ETA: 2,087 on WIP #1 today.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So after setting myself some ambitious goals, I wrote 0 words today. I did have a nice day at an art museum with spouse and kid, but I need to keep up the momentum.

Tomorrow is another day!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This is of the "what were you thinking, you naive fool" variety.

Oh, I know that one! The path is never linear, is it?

New day, new month, new goals. :hooray: :e2cheer:

Realized I fibbed by omission yesterday. I did, in fact, write zero words, and it was, in part, because we spent the day at a museum, but the other part of it is I'd wandered into the weeds and didn't really know how to move forward.

I'm writing off a synopsis, and the synopsis for this section is about 2 sentences. So this morning I sat down and made detailed notes on how things need to go in this section, which is great! But it's going to mean backtracking about 6,600 words, which means my word count is going to go down before it goes up again.

Will report back tonight. :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! July already. Where the heck did June go?

June was a good-ish month for me. I'm still editing WIP #2, but I finally decided to change my MC POV in WIP #1 - something that had been holding me back for a long time.

My July goals are to finish the POV change in WIP#1 and get the 1st edit of WIP #2 done.

Today, I've worked on WIP #1 and changed POV in 3 chapters.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, muse! :e2cheer:

I took out a big chunk of stuff today, which brought my base wordcount down from 93,483 to 86,803. Today I added 1,823 words. I'm going to have to get my daily average a bit higher if I want to finish by mid-July, but it's a start!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
As usual I go to the previous month's thread and wonder what happened. Duh.

June was a mixed bag. I finished the short story I needed to revise and post by 7/1, but then I sort of meandered. I got a good chunk of my secret project done, but not a lot of fiction.

This month I'm participating in Camp Nano with two novels. My goal is 10k, and I hope to make and maybe exceed it. And maybe add some more words to the secret project.

And not go crazy from eye pain. :(

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Much luck and many words in July!

I had no goals for June, so I handily exceeded them. Ditto for July. I now have to write a sermon every week, so that's going to sap my already tired creativity. But hey, sermons can be creative. Especially the way I write 'em. :D So, let's see... 3-5k/week? Which sounds so easy, but there's so much research that goes into each one. Plus any little bits and words I have for Characters Behaving Badly, which is what I'm calling my WIP.

Go, everyone! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
heyjude - I love that name!

50 pages edited for a job last night. 127 pages left to do before Sunday. Can I can make it? I think I can. ;)

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I failed to finish the first draft of the WIP in June, which I pledged to do. So I'm upping the game. I want it finished by mid-July.

Had a writing session before work today, and another one after work. 3,300 words achieved and two characters killed. Mwa ha ha...

I think I've got about 5,000 words of the story left to write, and only three characters surviving. And I do want at least one of them to survive to the end...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, everyone! :e2cheer:

I managed 2,686 on WIP #1, and 770 on WIP #2. Kind of disorienting shifting between the two - WIP #1 is first person present, and WIP #2 is the more traditional third limited past. I have to take a break in between to get it right.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Another 1,150 words this morning. Galloping towards that final big scene...

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
2,435 words yesterday. Feels damn good after a low-word June.

I'm aiming low for July -- 10k words, and focusing on reading for the Hugo Awards. So of course my brain wants to write instead!

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome EMaree!

I got so sick last night. :( I suspect I am allergic to strawberries. Only thing that fits, and I'm allergic to almost every fruit known to man. It's not a tragedy as I hate strawberries, but I do like strawberry jelly, which is what nailed me last night. Naturally, as I didn't get any sleep last night, I called off of work. I am feeling a bit better now and will prolly try to do some editing. My eye pain however is through the roof, so we'll see how that goes. Might just lay down again.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Nice galloping, Shara! :e2cheer:

:hi: EMaree!

Yikes, Saoirse, that's no fun. I found out about three years ago I was allergic to strawberries. I gather sometimes allergies can appear and disappear, and I'm still hoping I get over this one eventually.

Today I got 2,726 on WIP #1 and 911 on WIP #2. Hard to imagine that WIP #1 is really going to be finished at 120K, but we'll see. Ten more days to get there!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz - Yeah, they can. I've been allergic to most fruits and nuts for probably fifteen years now? (I never had them as a kid, but my dad had allergies growing up). But strawberries never came up in the testing we did, and also I don't eat fresh ones them much b/c of the texture. I do like strawberry flavor, and have had strawberry jam/strawberry ice cream/strawberry-jelly filled donuts. Never a problem until now. Crazy stuff. I hope yours goes away, esp if you like them.

Nice wordage on both WIPs!

15 pages edited, and 475 words written on Oubliette. I stopped at an intriguing spot so I hope to come back to it tomorrow. Eye pain got really bad, so I played Guild Wars for 2 hours.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - hope you're feeling better soon.

Everyone is doing so well.:Clap::Clap:

I've also been working hard on my POV changes. Up to chapter 30 so far.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Feeling better, muse, thanks!

I had waaaaaaay too much fun playing GW last night.

Gotta write my 100 words for the day (or more — I'm in a challenge where the only requirement is to write 100 words min a day) and then hit the editing while my eye isn't too bad. Crunch time b/c we are leaving for our week-long camping on Sunday.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Glad you're doing better, Saoirse!

Excellent progress, muse!

I got 2,606 on WIP #1 and 1,267 on WIP #2, and I am oatmeal now.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No editing today so far. Hoping to get in a few hours later.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
319 words last night on the new novel, and I'm up to page 305 of 377 on the editing. The plan is to edit madly and get it done before we leave Sunday, then do my tweaks when I get home next Thursday, then send it to my client. No pressure, right? I also got another editing job in August. :D

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Everybody needs a day off now and then, muse. :)

Yay on the August job, Saoirse! And yay on the words and the edits! :hooray:

Managed 3,369 on WIP #1, which got me over 100K. Yay! And another 765 on WIP #2. I may have to take a break on WIP #2 once I get to editing WIP #1 to avoid the overhead of the context switching.

Go, everybody! :e2cheer: