Sedating someone 1600s

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I imagine they would not have injected someone and that possibly opium might have been used.

I have a character that a doctor believes needs to be sedated to stop self or harm to others and wonder if they were to forcefully do such a thing, if perhaps they would use a cloth and something?

[edit]

I might need to rethink my question since Susanna's reply.

I also just realised I'm talking 1690s.

If we had a doctor who believes someone is in great stress due to the loss of someone and in turn threatening harm to themselves or others, would they be inclined to think of the person being in pain like we might now? And therefore give them something like a "a stiff scotch" or something to calm them or was that something that they might only used if operating or something.

I have a character that would not by choice take anything in liquid form for fear of them trying to poison her, but with something like a spirit, they could have someone else try it first.

They are not going to want to physically hurt her, nor is cost an issue in using or gaining anything that might be used as medicine

Last edited:

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, laudanum (the liquid form of opium, dissolved in pure alcohol) was in medical use by 1600 but its use didn't become common in England until the 1660s, and then as a painkiller rather than a sedative. I don't think putting something on a cloth would work - you may be thinking of chloroform, which wasn't around until the 1800s. You'd have to force someone to drink it.

You might want to do a bit of Googling about Bedlam/Bethlem Hospital: what little I know of treatment of mental illness in this period makes me think that a doctor would be far more likely to restrain someone in the equivalent of a straightjacket than knock them out with the limited drugs they had in those days.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Thanks Susannah, I just added to my first post.

I did come across how they might treat someone with a mental illness, and if I can't find a way for them to sedate her, I might need to just move her to another room and rewrite some scenes where I had assumed they would give her something to calm her down.

Last edited:

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk
It's not something I've researched, but I'll lay money on alcohol. Brandy was just giving way to gin around then, so take your pick. You can force someone to drink anything - pour it in their mouths, pinch their noses and clamp their jaws shut.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Coming in from a slightly different perspective and thinking about medieval healing or apothecary gardens (the walled gardens of monasteries and old cottage gardens of cunning women). A corner would be kept for 'poisonous' plants with toxic side effects or strong sedative properties. Extracts from the digitalis in fox gloves were used as a narcotic sedative -- larger doses were stimulants -- but the quantities needed to be administered by someone highly skilled. Minute doses of belladonna were known to cause narcosis and paralysis, with antidotes kept close at hand. As Western sailors travelled the oceans in search of spices and new foods, they brought back plants like Datura or Brugmansia, poppy derivatives or varieties of hemlock, again with narcotic but highly toxic properties. Written up in medieval and Renaissance apothecary manuals and grimoires, these are the plants that gave rise to our modern opioid medications. All with a large DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME warning, then and now.