Introducing the Villain in an epilogue - Marvel Movie Style

TAHumphries

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, my main project right now is my vigilante/superhero series "Legacy of the Guardians." I've just finished book one, "The Crusader," and have started book two, "The Brother's Keeper." Now, I'm a huge Marvel Cinematic Universe fan and I've noticed that often times the after-credits scenes in movies tease the villain for the upcoming movies, or tease something such as a build-up to Infinity War.

So, at the end of Book 1, the MC has defeated the villain, saved the city, happy-go-lucky everything is all good. Then, in the final final final scene of the book, we meet him. There's a character that is brought up once or twice in book one named Jordan. It's not mentioned so much where you'd know who he is in the snap of a finger, but you'd [hopefully] recognize the name when you see it at the end. He shows up, talks to one of the characters, and drops the last spoken line of the book: "I'm going to make [MC's name] beg for the sweet relief of death." He proceeds to give the character he's speaking to a ghoulish smile, and the book ends.

It's a teaser/epilogue that introduces Jordan and tells the reader he's got some dastardly plot for the MC, but Book 1 is also 95% concluded and resolved. We do have one of the vigilantes leave to go to another city and look for a -certain- item, to that which will become a big plot point around book 4, but other than that book 1 is concluded. After reading this post, I'm beginning to think an ending like this is a bad idea.

What do you guys think? Cut out the whole "Jordan's going to make MC's life miserable" teaser and just start book 2, or leave it in there? I guess more importantly, since publishing is later down the road but still a goal, would this do more harm than good?

My intention is to tell the readers that this isn't over. I want them to fear for the MC, as to they've watched him grow from a nobody to the Crusader throughout book 1. I want the readers to end book 1 with concern, because this Jordan guy has something nasty coming MC's way.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
As a fellow MCU fan and superhero writer, I would fully support a "teaser" sort of epilogue. The concerns in the linked thread are valid (a teaser does no good if the publisher doesn't pick up Book 2, if you go the trade pub route), but I also think it's a good fit for the superhero climate of the present day. Worst case, an agent or publisher asks you to drop it in edits. In the final pre-publisher edit draft or self-published works, go for it.

TAHumphries

Registered
Reaction score
As a fellow MCU fan and superhero writer, I would fully support a "teaser" sort of epilogue. The concerns in the linked thread are valid (a teaser does no good if the publisher doesn't pick up Book 2, if you go the trade pub route), but I also think it's a good fit for the superhero climate of the present day. Worst case, an agent or publisher asks you to drop it in edits. In the final pre-publisher edit draft or self-published works, go for it.

Thanks for the advice Maggie! Right now, publishing isn't my concern. I have a lot of work to do before I get there, so I'm going to wait and see what some other writers have to say about it. For the time being, I'm going to leave it in; I've had a few beta-readers, and so far they love the idea that I've left them wondering what's happening next. I'd love to exchange some questions with you, for you're a fellow superhero writer. I've got a whole book [no pun intended] of concerns, questions, and "how do I do this's"

Thanks again,
-Tyler

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yeah, so ahead and shoot me a PM. :) I can't call myself an expert, but I'm happy to share advice and opinions. I've got one of my superworld-themed shorts on my Wattpad link if you're curious.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea. We all know it works well for an anticipated series in most genres wherein some sort of long term plot thread arcs through successive volumes. Done well, it can prove to be very engaging for the reader, a sort of subtle foreshadowing glue linking a pattern of supporting plots in a comprehensive and ultimately satisfying tale. I'd encourage you to got for it!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I've done this.

The antagonist in my first MS is never directly present except in the coda/epilogue. Her presence is felt in other ways but the MCs don't meet her in this book. My readers have all been fine with it, but then most of the "antagonism" is the characters dealing with themselves so far.

It's not a superhero book though.

TAHumphries

Registered
Reaction score
That's some really good advice. Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go ahead and leave it in the story, because my beta-readers have reacted positively about it (and then pestered me about who the heck that character even is, for I haven't given them anything from Book 2 yet) lol

wolfking

From the Depths he comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this sounds great. I think that is a nice reveal at the end, which leads into the next book. I thought about doing a similar thing in my own at one point, where the main antagonist is defeated, but there is another that was really running the show as if the antagonist was really a henchman of the Real Big Bad. Fun stuff. Go for it.

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a nice touch. Here's my idea for better or worse. Instead of showing the villain, show the protagonist(s) having a conversation and then realizing something they missed which means that the new villain is rising. For example, the city is saved and the celebration is coming to an end. The lead character says something about how they saved the city by wiping out all of the threats in the city. The protagonist's friend says something to the effect that they still had one left to go. Surprised look on the protagonist's face. End. Just a thought...

TAHumphries

Registered
Reaction score
That's a brilliant idea my friend. I've done something similar. There's a character in Book 1 who has been talked about several times, but all the stories the characters tell each other is that he died after the "incident" that happens. After they're sharing drinks for a job well done in saving the city, the character shows up and mockingly says shots are on him. It's an "Oh s$%^" moment I'm hoping will capture some people by surprise.

Natasitsa

Registered
Reaction score
It is a very interesting idea. Whatever you decide to do though, be sure to foreshadow that character in book 1. Especially if he is a very important antagonist later in the series.

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
This is a fine thing to do, and it's certainly been done outside of the superhero genre, as well.

It promises a second book and hopefully intrigues the reader. Whether or not it works comes down to execution.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
It's a pretty common trope to set up the next/greater scope/whatever villain in the epilogue. The MCU does it because comic book style superhero story telling lends itself very well to that kind of teaser. I remember the clamor following the first Avengers movie when people went, 'OMG! Thanos! No waaaaay!'

It's a good way to end things when you're planning on additional story, because it tells the reader that indeed, there is more, and here's a hint of what's to come.

I'm reminded of the end of the second book in Robert Aspirin's Phule's Company which had the defeated antagonist talking about how she might've lost this time, but already she had plans about what to do next. Which made it a shame (one of many) when the third book finally came out, it was mostly the work of the co-author who immediately wrote all that off as not working and discarded the antagonist entirely.

mtj0000

Registered
Reaction score
While its not conventional, the hardest books to put down are the books where a chapter ends in a question, where you just have to keep reading because even though you have reached a logical break in the story you're wondering what happens next. When you end in a question everyone wants to read on for the answer.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I know there are some big name authors in other genres who, even if not writing a series, will include the first chapter of their next book at the end of the one you're reading, a bit of a free preview, yanno? I always enjoyed seeing a bit of what the next book was all about, so count me in the "go for it" group.

Toothpick

Registered
Reaction score
I like it, it sounds cool and everybody loves to be teased a bit so don't worry about it and go for it ^^

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
It sounds too much like a cliffhanger to me. I'd probably boycott every one of your books forever.

Rather than tack the foreshadowing after the end I'd suggest weaving him/her into the story near the end, perhaps as one of the bad guys who got away when the hero/ine broke up the bad-guy gang.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem with a teaser, if it's clearly the start of something new, rather than the end of the first book.