Grammar question

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
I've been told by my editor that I should change this sentence: "Eventually, the political climate boiled over and I was able to blah, blah, blah..."

To this: Eventually, the political climate did boil over and I was able to..."

The second construction feels awkward, and it certainly isn't how I speak most of the time.
The conflict is "Did boil" versus "Boiled."
I'm speaking in the past tense, so I don't really see a problem with "boiled".

Also, the sentence is in the context of a memoir, not a technical manual or an article in a literary magazine or some such thing.

What say you?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I would use the second only if it was for emphasis: 'eventually, the political climate did boil over [whereas it hadn't before]'. If that's not what they're angling at, it does sound weird.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The two sentences have slightly different meanings to me.

"Boiled" feels like a simple statement of happenstance, i.e. the narrator wasn't particularly waiting for it or expecting it, but it happened, so stuff.

"Did boil" feels more like an event that was being anticipated, for which the narrator had a response ready. Or even something that the narrator had actively helped to bring about.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I'm just giving it a shot here.

To me it would depend of the previous sentence(s). For instance "They warned the political climate might boil over. In that case I would add the "did" before "boil over." Otherwise, I'd drop the "Eventually" and go with "The political climate boiled over..."

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the previous narrative was considering the ifs and buts of what might happen if things got out of hand, I would find the change perfectly acceptable. It's not a matter of how you speak- it's a question of relativity and context.