Hope stuff

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
Two onlookers catch falling 14 old girl, save her.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/25/girl-14-caught-onlookers-fall-new-york-fun-park-ride

Howard was leaving Six Flags Great Escape Amusement Park, 55 miles north of Albany, with his family when he heard someone screaming for help. He looked up to see a young girl dangling about 25ft off the ground from a slow-moving gondola ride. The girl’s little brother sat next to her in the green two-person pod, crying hysterically and saying he couldn’t hold on.

Howard and Winchell positioned themselves under the girl as the ride stopped and security came running. A crowd gathered, many filming, others calling for help.
“I said: ‘It’s ‘OK! It’s OK to let go, I’ll catch you, honey,”’ said Howard.

The girl lost her grip and fell to where Howard and Winchell, arms outstretched, waited with a few other people. The two took the brunt of the girl’s fall, tumbling to the ground themselves. They and others carried the girl to where emergency workers later arrived to help her.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I am a little annoyed at the headline from AP - "Man catches teen falling from park ride" - when it turns out it was "Man and woman catch teen falling from park ride."

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
I am a little annoyed at the headline from AP - "Man catches teen falling from park ride" - when it turns out it was "Man and woman catch teen falling from park ride."
If you're expecting accuracy from the media, you have a long wait ahead.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
An amazing picture of the chain in that story!

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
Rational fish stock management happened, with a bounce back that took a decade:
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-british-cod-on-the-menu-after-stocks-recover
Stocks of cod in the North Sea were once one of the world’s great fisheries but plummeted by 84% between the early 1970s and 2006. They came perilously close to the total collapse seen in the Grand Banks fishery off Canada in the early 1990s, which has still not recovered.

But action to decommission fishing boats, ban catches in nursery areas and put larger holes in nets to allow young cod to escape has seen the stock rise fourfold since 2006