Alternative to photobucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
They gave no warning they were going to do this. I didn't get an e-mail saying they were going to change their terms of service to this BS.

They're not required to tell you before they change TOS; the TOS stipulate that they can change at any time.

That said, I've received a couple of emails from PhotoBucket about it, one of them before the change kicked it. Perhaps they have an outdated email for you, or your spam filter kicked in.

Again, it's free. You don't have to use it. You opted in. You can quit using it. They're not obligated to continue providing you service.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
They're not required to tell you before they change TOS; the TOS stipulate that they can change at any time.

That said, I've received a couple of emails from PhotoBucket about it, one of them before the change kicked it. Perhaps they have an outdated email for you, or your spam filter kicked in.

Again, it's free. You don't have to use it. You opted in. You can quit using it. They're not obligated to continue providing you service.

I'm not the only one who didn't get any warning for it. I still have the same e-mails and it didn't show up in spam. And it's not just free users, paid accounts are getting screwed too.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not the only one who didn't get any warning for it. I still have the same e-mails and it didn't show up in spam. And it's not just free users, paid accounts are getting screwed too.

You're right; you're not the only one. I didn't, either. A very large number of us here at AW lost our Photobucket image links. So? That's life. We all have to find a new image hosting service.

Your continuing to argue here is fruitless. It won't change the situation. Seriously, it won't.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

It's a free site. Third party hosting is an enormous PITA to support, it requires constant care regarding bandwidth and malware scanning, and I think it's reasonable to charge for it.

You haven't lost data or images.

Previous paying users are grandfathered in.

Keeping a popular site going costs. Photobucket saw the overhead, saw where the costs were, and made changes.

You're more than welcome to complain to Photobucket. I'm not only not sympathetic, I'm not inclined to put up with any more of it.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
It's a free site. Third party hosting is an enormous PITA to support, it requires constant care regarding bandwidth and malware scanning, and I think it's reasonable to charge for it.

Not up to $400. That's too much money. Something like $50 or lower is reasonable, not $400. There are better ways to get money to cover costs.

Previous paying users are grandfathered in.

That's not what I heard from some paid users.

Last edited:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Having just come online today to discover the images on all my sites have disappeared, I came on here to ask if there was an alternative to Photobucket. Somewhat relieved to see it's not just me having this problem. I don't particularly want to upgrade to the paid subscription.

So I will check out Flickr. In the meantime the images in my signature have disappeared, so I'll have to put up with that till I sort it out.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Having just come online today to discover the images on all my sites have disappeared, I came on here to ask if there was an alternative to Photobucket. Somewhat relieved to see it's not just me having this problem. I don't particularly want to upgrade to the paid subscription.

So I will check out Flickr. In the meantime the images in my signature have disappeared, so I'll have to put up with that till I sort it out.

I've already started looking myself.

Shirokitty

Registered
Reaction score
I use gyazo for quick screenshots I want to share. Google drive for anything I want to save long term.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I was used to using Photobucket. I liked it because the way it generated code for embedding was easy for me to understand. I'm pants at coding. That's why I stayed with them despite the spam ads hijacking the entire screen and requiring closing and reopening with some frequency. I am happy to deal with ads if that makes a service free. Folks need to make money, after all. But it seemed like some site hijacking was going on, not only usual ads. I don't mind paying money for a service I enjoy using, but balked at spending so much money for a website that seemed to me to have a few serious issues. Just my opinion, of course.

So I took down all my pics, and switched to Postimage.org. This site seems the closest to Photobucket and it is also very user friendly.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Given that the service supported downloading, all they had to do was alert people to the closing. Closing and then demanding money for the images may be legal but it is still a dick move.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Given that the service supported downloading, all they had to do was alert people to the closing. Closing and then demanding money for the images may be legal but it is still a dick move.

They haven't demanded money for the images.

They've restricted hotlinking to those paying an expensive fee.

Your images are all there.

You can download them.

You just can't hotlink them.

I received both a notification in June and a subsequent email in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.