Alternative to photobucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an alternative to photobucket, that doesn't so constantly spam you with ads? Photobucket has become literally unusable, since most of the bandwidth is now taken up by ads, and I'm constantly fending off the new html5 popups, which apparently can't be blocked.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I quite like Flickr. Many people like Google Photos (check the privacy issues). If you're an Amazon Prime user, there's Amazon photos.

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
I'd vote imgur. Photobucket is so slooow. Never had a problem with imgur, and I use it quite often.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
IMGUR over here for uploads, Google Photos for personal pics. Agreed that Photobucket has gone to pot.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
photobucket used to be great but it's been horrible for years now :(

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The images popping up everywhere saying, upgrade to get 3rd party hosting are like ads saying this service sucks.

I would bet this tactic fails big time and it will set an example: extortion is not a successful way to increase revenues. Photobucket users are going to flee in droves.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last week Photobucket changed its terms of service (without notice, I might add) so that in order to hotlink from its site, you must subscribe to the tune of $399.99/year. You ought to have a look at the furor this is causing on Twitter.

I had already upgraded (to their cheapest plan) to avoid the plague of ads and popups on the site, and I'm about to unsubscribe and demand my money back. Right now if you try to access the site, you get a bunch of HTML junk instead of the usual homepage. I think the site is very likely circling the drain.

Good to know there are other alternatives out there.

Last edited:

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Photobucket Has Screwed Up Big Time!

$400 a year just to have your pictures on a 3rd-party hosting site? This is a joke, right?! Nobody wants to pay that much. I bet there are going to be some lawsuits coming!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I understand there's free will involved so you don't have to pay the fees if you don't have that much content or generate that much traffic or even use the site.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They've ticked me off, but whatever. I kept thinking they would come to their senses, but that hasn't happened yet. So maybe not. Eventually I'll find a work around. Take the time to search for another site to use. Maybe. Someday.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a discussion of Photobucket's new paid model in Alternative to Photobucket (which, of course, I had missed). Sooo, now that Google has retired Picasa I'm looking over Imgur tonight. I'll need to get up to speed on it, but I think I'll like it well enough.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
If you have a regular website, you can host your own images. That's what I do. When I want to use one I click over, copy the location, and put the URL in the image box. You can fix it up for public visitors, if you want or keep it private.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
$400 a year just to have your pictures on a 3rd-party hosting site? This is a joke, right?! Nobody wants to pay that much. I bet there are going to be some lawsuits coming!

Get over it. It was free for years, with a really low subscription fee; people wanted free.

People objected to ads.

Running a site is expensive.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I totally get that. And as I mentioned above, I'd already upgraded to the "ad free" version. The site was still glitchy as hell (still is).

I think the issue is that they changed their TOS and added the hefty price increase without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.