What's a good word count for YA Romance

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing a YA romance (with very mild supernatural elements, extremely mild) and I'm shooting for 60k. Is that good enough for a young adult romance or should it be a bit longer? I figured out of all the genres for young adult that romance would be the shortest in terms of word count.

Any thoughts?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
60K is well into novel-territory, which generally starts around 50K. It's kind of light, but plenty of readers like short books.

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for responding! :) I'm thinking about shooting for 70k now, or at least 65k, but I'll have to see where it takes me.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
As a VERY loose "rule," always shoot for 70K, then if you fall within 5K on either side, you're golden.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Then when it's done put it aside for a good long while and start something else. Later when you come back to it, see if it needs to be leaner, or more muscular. Be cautious about expanding but don't be afraid to expand if it feels right. Some very popular YA books are 100K or more.

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
As a VERY loose "rule," always shoot for 70K, then if you fall within 5K on either side, you're golden.

Thanks! I'm going to remember that! :)

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
Then when it's done put it aside for a good long while and start something else. Later when you come back to it, see if it needs to be leaner, or more muscular. Be cautious about expanding but don't be afraid to expand if it feels right. Some very popular YA books are 100K or more.

I'm currently working on two projects, one YA fantasy and this one. So when I'm finished with this one, I plan on focusing on the other WIP :)

easywriting

YA Author
Registered
Reaction score
I'm published in this genre, and I would shoot for at least 65K (that's what my editor told me should be my minumum). Mine are usually 80-85K, but they're on the longer side.