No word from story contest last year -- can I submit elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
So, I submitted a short story to a contest last year. The rules stated that if the story was a winner and placed in an anthology, I could only publish it elsewhere with credit to the anthology.

Winners were to be announced publicly in August of 2016, with the anthology out in the fall.

Since I received no word of rejection or publication, I can submit the story elsewhere now, right?

Thanks!

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
Was there an entry fee? What was the name of the contest?

Most contests don't send rejections, they only contact the winners, but there should have been someplace the winners were announced (website, Facebook page).

Last year I entered a contest run by the University of Toronto literary magazine Echolocation that never announced a winner or responded to anyone's inquiry. Luckily, they charged the contest fee through PayPal so I was able to get a refund. If no winners were announced anywhere, it's possible this anthology just disappeared.

In any event, you're fine submitting your story elsewhere.

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! It was a no-charge contest, and I haven't found a link to conference proceedings announcing the winners or the follow-on anthology. It may be like you said -- the anthology just disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.