Help with a White Board

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I just inherited an old white board from work. It's a larger sized board than any standard size you'd get in like an Office Depot or a Staples, measuring 48"x36"...

31jDIXYY8GL.jpg

This looks to be the exact product from Amazon, and per the item description details there, it weighs in at 15 lbs...which feels about right when I pick it up. The problem is the mounting screws/wire from the back are missing. I am wondering what the best way to re-hang this would be?

Option 1
Just position two screws in the upper right and left corners, taking them into 10lb wall anchors behind the respective positions in the dry wall. Can you even cleanly drill through this stuff? It looks like it's the melamine version as it's got more of a reflective sheen to it.

Option 2
Look for a replacement hanging kit that wouldn't be potentially destructive: I did a quick Google/Amazon search for these and found nothing, so imagine I could jerry-rig a few self-tapping screws on the edges of the backside with some hanging wire between them for under $5.

Option 3
I thought about using some double-sided velcro tape, but think the adhesive backing would make a mess of the wall if I ever took it down, and possibly might not be strong enough, even if I were to run it the entire length and sides of the board - or would it?

Option 4
The 3M hooks might work, but I would then need to create holes in the back of the aluminum frame to hook them into and then it wouldn't lay flush...

I am leaning toward option 1 as I'd still need 10lb two wall anchors and screws behind it though for mounting purposes, and can't imagine needing the upper-most corners of the left and right sides for my purposes. I'll likely be using the board for my long-term planning schedules and task lists for work on the upper half, and the bottom half for story-boarding possible book plots! :)

Anyone that has prior experience with whiteboards in general, as to their mounting and what works best - tks in advance.

On the flip side, does anyone use white boards for story-boarding book ideas? Seems like a great way to go about it, but with decent sized ones like this running upwards of $150 the investment is a bit more than most could probably swallow...

ETA: I was able to find the original mounting instructions online here: https://accoblobstorageus.blob.core.windows.net/literature/ffbcf469-1e1a-42c8-8500-0f29a0b08ea0.pdf

And part of that PDF document shows the original hardware, which looks like this:

mountingbracket.png

I'd love to get those original style brackets as there does appear to be a groove in the back across both the top and the bottom that would make the installation go much easier (and be cleaner as well). Unless someone comes up with an online solution, I'll likely be giving ACCO a call on Monday! :)

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
So, the mirror hanger didn't work because it's a 1/4" gap and the aluminum is half that width, so it would have rattled around. Returned those to Lowe's and found this:

shopping

from a local specialty hardware store. A 10-pack is $18, but figured it would do the trick, so brought it home - no dice...while it's the perfect thickness, the top part of the wedge is too tall to fit into the groove. I guess it's back to calling ACCO on Monday. Fun stuff...

ETA: The part # is on the back side so was able to email them to get a quote. It also gave me a better idea of exactly how much these things retail for and this is a super nice white board, made of porcelain surfacing so it does't fade, dry, or anything. Retail looks to be around $250!!! Hopefully the mounting kit isn't too super expensive...lol

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Did the mirror hangers work, aside from being too wide for the aluminum? Rattling can be fixed. Install the whiteboard with the mirror hangers then, fill the 'rattling' space with shims -thin objects that fill the space and prevent movement. Used on windows or tables with slightly uneven legs. In it's simplest form, it's a wedge of paper, folded over and over to the required thickness.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
There were a couple issues with the mirror hangers besides being too much of a gap in the U. If I can get the original hanging kit for under $30, am gonna give that a go, otherwise, yeah, I'll resort to shimming the mirror hangers with some wall anchors.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Update - after a few emails back and forth to get my shipping address and phone, the folks at Acco are shipping me a free replacement set of mounting hardware for the whiteboard.

Now that​ is what I call customer service! :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Update - after a few emails back and forth to get my shipping address and phone, the folks at Acco are shipping me a free replacement set of mounting hardware for the whiteboard.

Now that​ is what I call customer service! :)

That is, indeed! Well done, the folks at Acco! Fine products, fine people. Congratulations!

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Got the brackets Friday, finally got a few spare minutes to get to it....(drum roll):

Photo-Jul-03-9-23-42-AM-e1499095776442.jpg

And the white board is hung - very exciting!