NYC Private Elementary Schools - 3rd/4th Grade

ayesha

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but they're not there now, heh. You put an estate in either of those places, people will have a hard time with it.

I know, which is why it will be the last resort if I don't get anything else. I'm going to dig up history of Riverdale and Fieldston and see how it goes. They are still my first preference. Thank you for all your help once again.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Your family could live in Riverdale or Bronxville too.

ayesha

Registered
Reaction score
On a scale of 1 to 10 though, which commute is worse, Westchester to Midtown or LI (Kingspoint/Sandspoint) to Midtown? Both seem to be equally bad at the moment.
Also, security is the reason I'm considering driving and not public transport.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Well, first, midtown where? Westchester where (Westchester is f'ing huge -- there are parts half an hour away and parts an hour and a half away, with no traffic)?

Security why?

In a GENERAL sense, traffic from/to LI is always going to be worse, but it does really depend on both your starting and end points -- there are certainly Westchester - midtown scenarios I can think of that'd be worse than Nassau co. to midtown but... where in midtown. Also is there a reason you went Nassau? Not that the commute is better if you're actually out on LI, just curious.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
They're both awful, but I'd say to/from LI is worse.

If they are super loaded, if they aren't within walking distance of the school the odds are *they* aren't driving in/out or around the city, they have a driver, and either way, kiddo is being dropped off by a hired car/driver, with or without a parent or nanny, this also may involve private security. I live within a couple of blocks of two of those super duper Manhattan privates, and the blocks are always backed up bc of these cars at drop-off/pickup times of the school.

BTW, since you're asking about littles, the schools near it (and many are) use Central Park for sports/outdoor time, many have serious green/play spaces on their roofs, several have indoor pools, and at least one of them has a soccer field that is tented with a fancy tent looking thing through the winter so it can be used year round. This can't really be seen as you walk up the block, it's tucked between buildings, I see it because my apartment is fairly high up and has a few windows that face that way.

ayesha

Registered
Reaction score
In case of the fist, Riverdale or Fieldstone. Don't want to go farther than that.
The reason we went for Kingspoint/Sandspoint is again the Gilded Era history and real estate holdings (price wise, I mean). Plus, its more quieter and remote. Its also close to the airport and the family travels a lot out of NY as well (Private Jet and all). I like the penthouse in UES idea but the permanent residence has to be an estate - its a mix of an old and new world family. The brothers reside on the same grounds within separate wings. A major part of the story is dependent on that so I cannot compromise on that.
And security because these are owners of an international conglomerate - I don't think travelling via train will be an option. They'd prefer being driven (I don't think flying to work via helicopter is an option, is it? Too much even for New York, I'd say. Sorry, my brain is fried.)
Maybe I should look for another city...

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
In case of the fist, Riverdale or Fieldstone. Don't want to go farther than that.
The reason we went for Kingspoint/Sandspoint is again the Gilded Era history and real estate holdings (price wise, I mean). Plus, its more quieter and remote. Its also close to the airport and the family travels a lot out of NY as well (Private Jet and all). I like the penthouse in UES idea but the permanent residence has to be an estate - its a mix of an old and new world family. The brothers reside on the same grounds within separate wings. A major part of the story is dependent on that so I cannot compromise on that.
And security because these are owners of an international conglomerate - I don't think travelling via train will be an option. They'd prefer being driven (I don't think flying to work via helicopter is an option, is it? Too much even for New York, I'd say. Sorry, my brain is fried.)
Maybe I should look for another city...

Sands Point is far from the airport, unless there's some little airport I'm not thinking of (entirely possible), but it's a pita trip to LGA or JFK. There are houses older and just as spendy all over Westchester. If you want waterfront it's doable, just likely farther up than Bronxville, like on the Sound, in Larchmont, Rye, etc.

There's an airport in Westchester the richies use and keep private jets parked at

Lots of rich owners of things, corporate CEOs, etc. take the train in to and around the city. Some do have drivers, as above, or drive themselves, (and yeah, no one is driving the kids to school themselves -- depending on where they go, kids take the train [yes, even rich kids] or get driven), but plenty take the train. We're pretty egalitarian, you see everyone on the train, from Bloomberg to movie stars, and that's just the subway. Same as there are *very* rich scions on the Jitney to the Hamptons. Unless there's some really specific type of known threat, most people don't travel with security like that. I mean I'm sure some people do, but the ones I've known of tend to be more like, kids of heads of state from other lands or gov't bigwigs. There are a lot of very rich and very famous people per capita here; it's not such a thing. I wouldn't think being driven was too weird if you want that, but it's kind of a pain because you're going to get stuck in traffic on the regular, which turns a 40-minute trip to Bronxville from midtown into an hour and a half, easy.

You can take a helicopter, but it's just not something people do daily, generally (I know people who grab them sometimes; it's not about $$). It can be a pita, even though it's quick. The heliport is by the river, there are only so many choppers can be there at one time, etc.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Is there a reason why you can't make up the school? You could place it wherever you needed to and make up their policies. Does it have to be in the city?

When I think of Gilded Age Long Island, I sort of think Great Neck, Manhasset, Glen Cove, but there's also Suffolk County. For ex, Oheka Castle is in Huntington and it was built in the WWI era. Also, here's a Newsday list from 2014 of the most expensive zip codes on Long Island.

ayesha

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you can't make up the school? You could place it wherever you needed to and make up their policies. Does it have to be in the city?

When I think of Gilded Age Long Island, I sort of think Great Neck, Manhasset, Glen Cove, but there's also Suffolk County. For ex, Oheka Castle is in Huntington and it was built in the WWI era. Also, here's a Newsday list from 2014 of the most expensive zip codes on Long Island.

That's the reason I want to stick to Long Island too. Great Neck and Glen Clove are two other options yes. And maybe I can invent an school, sure, but that still leaves me with the getting to the city for business every day part. Commuting from say Glen Clove to Manhattan everyday sounds like something out of hell.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That's the reason I want to stick to Long Island too. Great Neck and Glen Clove are two other options yes. And maybe I can invent an school, sure, but that still leaves me with the getting to the city for business every day part. Commuting from say Glen Clove to Manhattan everyday sounds like something out of hell.

You are not wrong.

This is why people have a place in the city.