Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
It all sounds so hard and annoying! Do you think you could say you've made many sales through it, or useful contacts, that make the extra effort worth it?

I think I've made useful contacts. And I have interacted with a few fans of my work (which is great highlight) but overall I hate doing it. The problem is the cost of time. A lot of time is required to maintain a daily presence, and half the stuff on Twitter I find to be mind-numbingly superfluous. o.o

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh. I just discovered Angie Thomas (The Hate U Give ) and Amie Kaufman (ILLUMINAE) are both coming to Melbourne for the Writers' Festival next month. Tempted to go to their talks if there are any tickets left.

Sucks about your friend, Jay. Though at least Brisvegas isn't too far from Sydney. Plus the internet does make it easier to stay in contact. And now you have an excuse to go visit sunny climes if you want. :) But still, it's not the same, so boo.

But speaking of QLD, Mr. BF has found some time to get away in October. :hooray: We both agreed immediately to head to the Gold Coast for a couple of weeks of plonking by the pool/beach. He might even get to read my book finally (he only ever reads on holidays). Woo hoo!
Noice. I haven't been to the Gold Coast since I was a kid. Whereabouts are you staying?

I think I've made useful contacts. And I have interacted with a few fans of my work (which is great highlight) but overall I hate doing it. The problem is the cost of time. A lot of time is required to maintain a daily presence, and half the stuff on Twitter I find to be mind-numbingly superfluous. o.o
Yeah, the time burden's a big turn-off to me. I have enough distractions in my life that keep me from writing. Why add another?

It's also really counterintuitive. I've found Lisa's helpful list of AW members and subscribed to it, but I can't see their tweets in my feed. Do you need to add them all manually or something?

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Yay for holidays, BF! :snoopy: A couple weeks lounging around beside a pool sounds like a fabulous idea!

I will likely not go visit my friend when she's moved. I don't think people would like to have me on an airplane. I always sound like I've got some highly contagious disease and/or am trying to hack up a lung. But that's okay, we can still keep in touch through email. She won't be going until the end of the year.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a productive afternoon. Two loads of laundry, and I've finally started to clean the microwave and stove (after several weeks of study sabbatical and reheating meals, it was getting nasty).

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Noice. I haven't been to the Gold Coast since I was a kid. Whereabouts are you staying?

I'm the opposite. I'd never been to the GC until about 8 years ago, but we've been a few times since. We're both fans of Broadbeach. Hopefully, it's not too messy/noisy up there while they're preparing for the Commonwealth Games in 2018. We'll do some checking before we book, and if it sounds like too much of a building site, we might head to Margaret River or somewhere instead.

Either way -- holiday!!! It's months away still, but I'm excited. :D

I will likely not go visit my friend when she's moved. I don't think people would like to have me on an airplane. I always sound like I've got some highly contagious disease and/or am trying to hack up a lung. But that's okay, we can still keep in touch through email. She won't be going until the end of the year.

You can jump in your new wheels and drive up there instead. :D

And even if you don't go up there, I'm sure she'll visit Sydney again at some point.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I've had a productive afternoon. Two loads of laundry, and I've finally started to clean the microwave and stove (after several weeks of study sabbatical and reheating meals, it was getting nasty).

Way more productive than me.

I set up my replacement universal remote (my old one was failing, got a new one as a pressie yesterday from the in-laws). Had two coffees. Set up a new folder on my Kindle (for books by AWers). Watched some football. Read two newspapers.

I might have to do more productive things tomorrow.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score

Way to be productive, Alby!

I've done absolutely nothing all day. :)

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the time burden's a big turn-off to me. I have enough distractions in my life that keep me from writing. Why add another?

It's also really counterintuitive. I've found Lisa's helpful list of AW members and subscribed to it, but I can't see their tweets in my feed. Do you need to add them all manually or something?

I'm not entirely sure. >.>

My Twitter feed is always switching around (I think based on the tweets I like) and it gets frustrating. Overall I think Twitter's user interface is some of the worst I've encountered. It's really hard to customize and even simple features (like blocking automated DMs) seems to be missing. u,u

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure. >.>

My Twitter feed is always switching around (I think based on the tweets I like) and it gets frustrating. Overall I think Twitter's user interface is some of the worst I've encountered. It's really hard to customize and even simple features (like blocking automated DMs) seems to be missing. u,u
I added a few AW members manually, FWIW (Lil's, yours, a few whose handles I recognised). Now, profit!

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hmmm. It sounds like you have subscribed to a keyword. Or something like that. I have always found that to see something in your feed, you have to friend the person.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
This place is dead tonight. Hi Bryan!

Hmmm. It sounds like you have subscribed to a keyword. Or something like that. I have always found that to see something in your feed, you have to friend the person.
This is the list I subscribed to. If I click on it I can see the list of everyone, but their posts don't show up otherwise.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, it's been quiet as. I took the night off to read a book (I'm working through a list of "Books I should've read already"), and now I'm doing some writing. :)

It's always quiet in here over the weekend, though.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been quiet as. I took the night off to read a book (I'm working through a list of "Books I should've read already"), and now I'm doing some writing. :)

It's always quiet in here over the weekend, though.
There are tumbleweeds rustling through here, that's how quiet it is tonight.

I wish I could say the rest of my day was productive as the morning was, but it wasn't.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
But at least part of your day was productive. That counts for something.

I ... fixed a shoe. The heel of my sneaker's coming off, and I haven't found a replacement pair that I like yet. So tonight I broke out the Shoe Glue. Not my most exciting Saturday ever.

'Kay, I'm calling it quits for tonight. 'Night. :hi:

Last edited:

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This place is dead tonight. Hi Bryan!

This is the list I subscribed to. If I click on it I can see the list of everyone, but their posts don't show up otherwise.

Interesting. It looks like you should be seeing their tweets then. Maybe Twitter is having heartburn?

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, reppers!

No work this morning, so I have a full weekend! I'm going to be busy too.

I don't have a twitter. Never saw a reason to have it. Facebook and Instagram are more than enough for me.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OOOH. Thunderstorms! Rain, wind. :heart: Thunderstorms, as long as I'm not out in them!

:hi: V! With no work, what's on the agenda for the weekend?

Mom is up, and hair washed (the rest of the pre-surgery bath (has to be done every day between now and Wednesday will happen later), and she is getting her hair cut after 4pm today. So I have most of the afternoon to lounge around and get words in!

4 more days till surgery.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. :hi:

Fingers cross that everything goes smoothly for you mom's surgery, Bry!

I can't believe how dead it was in here last night. Normally I have pages to read. Today... there was what, half a dozen entries?

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. :hi:

Fingers cross that everything goes smoothly for you mom's surgery, Bry!

I can't believe how dead it was in here last night. Normally I have pages to read. Today... there was what, half a dozen entries?

It's been a quiet rainy kinda day here. I took some time to do some reading. I still owe my critique and the beta chapter read. *sigh*.

Off to work on that!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I hate rainy days. It's been very dry here lately which is totally fine with me!

Hope the beta read goes well!

I might try to get some writing done today.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I hate rainy days. It's been very dry here lately which is totally fine with me!

Hope the beta read goes well!

I might try to get some writing done today.

I definitely don't enjoy the pain they bring, but there is something very relaxing about listening to the rain as it taps out natures rhythm on a tin roof. Or the growling rumbling thunder of distant lightening. The ear splitting crack of a close by strike, I can do without.

Beta read rocked. Enjoyed doing my critique too. And even managed to get some words in too!

Make your day a good one!

:hi: :e2bear:

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind it raining at night. It can be very soothing and conducive to sleep. When we have thunderstorms here, Mr C insists everything get disconnected. We've had a couple of computers fried by lightning strikes close by.

Yay for getting your beta done and also getting some words done!

Just did my treadmilling, and then assisted Mr C with maintenance on the treadmill because it was starting to go very slow.